• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Forum: Introduce Yourself Here Post New Thread

fattyarbuckle

HI ladies and Gents
I stumbled on this site last night while I was doing some research on WLS.
I have been following the weightwatchers plan on and off for the past couple of years I have had success but then I have been unable to maintain.

I visited my GP for an MOT and to discuss my inflammation and swelling of my legs and ankles. He was very thorough and after I discussed my fight with the flab and showed him my old journals and told him I am hardly losing weight this time on WW. He advised me that I am a possible candidate for wls.

I have to go back and see him in 3 weeks to discuss my options, He has told me the usual that I will need to jump through hoops. Which I AM willing to do.

Personally I wonder that because my BMI is 40 and my blood pressure is raised will I be considered?

Also for you guys' who are under Hull and East Yorkshire NHS TRUST what was the time frame from the first appointment with your GP?

Finally what criteria did you have to meet. Over the past decade I have had the weight loss medication Accomplia which was awful and Orlistat which made me itch.

I am going to continue with the weight watchers and test the water with the weight loss clinic but am I building my hopes up too early?

Thanks for taking your time to read this I know I sometimes go off on a tangent. Apprehensive is the mood for today :confused:
5ft8 and 19st 4lb
bmi 44

Last edited:
I can't really answer your questions as I'm in Scotland we seem to do it differently up here, just wanted to say hi. I attended weight management appointments and then on 21st jan met with my consultant and had my pre-op and am now patiently (or impatiently) :) waiting to get my date for a gastric bypass. My consultant told my my wait could be anything up to 9 weeks from pre-op which is not long.

Good luck with your journey x

Hi Thanks for the reply and the warm welcome, Please keep me posted I am back at my GP in two weeks to discuss him putting me forward to the WL Clinic. I hope I aren't building my hopes up for a massive fall.

I have found this website for the HULL area and I am wondering ig my Local people will share their experiences please as I am so impatient xx

How long will you have to wait for Surgery? Print
timeIf you are an NHS patient and live in or around East Yorkshire, once you have been referred by your GP you will get an appointment to see a bariatric surgeon and you will normally be referred to a dietician. At your first appointment with the surgeon he will usually explain the various surgical procedures, the pros and cons of surgery and answer any questions you may have. It is a good idea, to write down any questions you may have before attending that first appointment so you don't leave without getting all the answers you want (Better still, take someone with you as it is often difficult to remember everything that is said).
You will then, most likely, be asked to return a few weeks later after having have had time to consider what is involved and talked it over with your significant other. You may also been seen by the dietician in the interim period. On your next appointment, after listening to your views and concerns, if considered a suitable candidate for surgery, the surgeon will decide which procedure is most likely to be best for you and if you are happy to proceed, you will be put on his waiting list and you will receive written confirmation a few weeks later.
Waiting time, from the date of your letter will normally be 26 weeks, but currently, you can expect to wait between 4 to 6 months. If not already done so, you will have to see a dietition, as this is a requirement of getting Funding for NHS surgery. You will also be advised to attend a patient's support group, to hear, first hand, what obesity weight loss surgery is all about, from those who have already had it. Again, this is a condition of getting your surgery.
By registering on the Owlss website, you have already made an important first step and we look forward to welcoming you at one of our regular group meetings.
Whilst you may have been put on a particular surgeon's waiting list, there is no guarantee at this stage, that the surgery will go ahead. If you are an NHS patient, it will depend on many things. For example, If you meet the NICE guidelines? Even then, you will need to secure funding for the operation, through your local Primary Care Trust (PCT). This is not something you can influence. If you do not meet the NICE guidelines, the surgeon may be willing to make a case to the PCT for why you would benefit from obesity weight loss surgery. A panel will then make a decision and though your GP (or surgeon) you will be advised of their decision.
Assuming the outcome is in your favour, your surgery will normally be carried out at Hull Royal Infirmary, Castle Hill, Hospital or the private Spire hospital at Anlaby (as an NHS patient). About 3-4 weeks before you go into hospital, you will be advised of your surgery date by the relevant hospital and asked attend a pre-op medical screening where various tests are carried out to ensure you are fit enough to undergo surgery.You will also be advised when to start the pre-op 'soup and jelly' diet.
If funding is not approved, don't panic! You can always appeal and we will support you all the way. For info on appealing against a decision not to fund you, please see 'Being turned down for funding'

I have found this info on the owls website I wonfer if anyone from the Hull area has had this experience?
How long will you have to wait for Surgery? Print
timeIf you are an NHS patient and live in or around East Yorkshire, once you have been referred by your GP you will get an appointment to see a bariatric surgeon and you will normally be referred to a dietician. At your first appointment with the surgeon he will usually explain the various surgical procedures, the pros and cons of surgery and answer any questions you may have. It is a good idea, to write down any questions you may have before attending that first appointment so you don't leave without getting all the answers you want (Better still, take someone with you as it is often difficult to remember everything that is said).
You will then, most likely, be asked to return a few weeks later after having have had time to consider what is involved and talked it over with your significant other. You may also been seen by the dietician in the interim period. On your next appointment, after listening to your views and concerns, if considered a suitable candidate for surgery, the surgeon will decide which procedure is most likely to be best for you and if you are happy to proceed, you will be put on his waiting list and you will receive written confirmation a few weeks later.
Waiting time, from the date of your letter will normally be 26 weeks, but currently, you can expect to wait between 4 to 6 months. If not already done so, you will have to see a dietition, as this is a requirement of getting Funding for NHS surgery. You will also be advised to attend a patient's support group, to hear, first hand, what obesity weight loss surgery is all about, from those who have already had it. Again, this is a condition of getting your surgery.
By registering on the Owlss website, you have already made an important first step and we look forward to welcoming you at one of our regular group meetings.
Whilst you may have been put on a particular surgeon's waiting list, there is no guarantee at this stage, that the surgery will go ahead. If you are an NHS patient, it will depend on many things. For example, If you meet the NICE guidelines? Even then, you will need to secure funding for the operation, through your local Primary Care Trust (PCT). This is not something you can influence. If you do not meet the NICE guidelines, the surgeon may be willing to make a case to the PCT for why you would benefit from obesity weight loss surgery. A panel will then make a decision and though your GP (or surgeon) you will be advised of their decision.
Assuming the outcome is in your favour, your surgery will normally be carried out at Hull Royal Infirmary, Castle Hill, Hospital or the private Spire hospital at Anlaby (as an NHS patient). About 3-4 weeks before you go into hospital, you will be advised of your surgery date by the relevant hospital and asked attend a pre-op medical screening where various tests are carried out to ensure you are fit enough to undergo surgery.You will also be advised when to start the pre-op 'soup and jelly' diet.
If funding is not approved, don't panic! You can always appeal and we will support you all the way. For info on appealing against a decision not to fund you, please see 'Being turned down for funding'

hello and welcome to a great site, i look forward to reading your postings !

Hi

I was in a similar position being at a borderline weight.

Interestingly my GP told me that I probably wouldn't qualify and suggested that if I could possibly afford it, I would probably benefit from private surgery. Interestingly after booking a procedure with The Hospital Group I received a call from the weight management team saying I COULD be considered for NHS, but there is a long waiting list.

I am now 1 week post op.

Considering that it could have taken up to 2 years to make it happen on the NHS I thought the benefits to my health were worth the financial sacrifice.

Paul

When I discussed it with my GP I was 26 stone odd, and was told I had no hope as I had no co-morbidities. I didn't pursue it any further, and eventually had a band fitted privately, but I think had I pushed for it I would probably have ended up getting funding on the basis of my BMI.
It's worth applying - the worst that can happen is they say no, in which case you're no worse off, and there's always the chance they'll say yes!

Good luck!

Thanks peeps I was surprised that my blood pressure was high I assume this will be classed as one of the comorbilities? This 2 weeks wont go fast enough util I see my GP for referral.

Hi, each PCT has their own criteria. Im in Cornwall and my bmi was 42 and I had high blood pressure that wasn't controlled with medication. I had to prove that I could loose weight & keep it off and had to see the dietician lots of times as well as an exercise person. I was in the system for 2+ years before my op. Fingers crossed for you.

I have just had the talk with the husband and it turned into a heated debate! When life feels like a n uphill struggle constantly!!! You work hard and are always poor and you diet harder n you are always up and down with your weight. You have been tormented for years about been a tub of lard!! how despondent can you get?? To be offered a referral by the gp and you know that it's going to be the Everest of all lifestyle changes but when u get to the top of the Everest the view that you see well. & that will make it all worth it!! I guess only I will understand my own goals?

I took all my WW journals and weight records to my GP so hopefully that will provide strong
evidence of my determination. I watched the weight loss clinic on I player and felt so cross that some people are on the WM plan and even though they are pre op they are still gauging on Chocolate, I am wondering what is the right attitude to have for this surgery, for
once in life I don't want to be struggling with everything seeming like a task. when you get them dreams where you are trying to
run but your legs wont move, well that is just how I feel with my weight I diet and seem to get nowhere fast.
The thought of surgery and the realisation that my life has the potential to change so much more for the beteer It makes me so apprehensive and worried that I will be told NO!!!

Last edited:
I went to the gp to discuss wls in august 2012, bmi of 42 gp was happy to refer due to bmi and high blood pressure. It has been along process but op booked for this coming Saturday with a bmi of 37 so I'm getting their :) good luck with your journey x

I have rang around the houses doing my home work I can't wait 3 weeks so at my GP next Tuesday! Hull and east York's nhs trust have an 18 week pathway from day of referral to treatment but this is a misnomer with bariatric and the CCG no longer grant funding it's done through NHS England so as long as you fit criteria!! I have everything crossed now! Good Luck to all of you reading this either pre or post op xxx

I have just had a telephone call from my GP, he was unsure if he gave me the incorrect info last week but when i had told him that I had been researching things all weekend and that at 40bmi I can be referred. We have agreed I still go see him and he is doing the referral and will send me some information via E-Mail. I have been told to stick to the WW and exersice which I am as I have an exsersice bike in front of the telly. It does state on the nhs England website that if weight loss is achieved on the MDT intervention stage then the candidate isn't suitable for surgery. How bout all them that eat chocolate and junk in the tier 3 stage and don't lose? I aren't sure if I m missing the point?

Back