• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Freaking out!!!

zarafa

I'm not even on the pre-op diet, haven't even started.

I've had doubts about the surgery before, but have finally felt the panic some people were telling me about. It's past 1am, I have to be up in a couple of hours but I can't sleep cos I'm just thinking - what if I die? what if there are complications and I die from the complications? It happens. They don't give you the figures for fun - yes, 2% is low, but it's not low when you're one of the 2 out of 100 people who die.
What happens to my family? My brother's getting married in April. What if I die and ruin his wedding plans?
I know this sounds so stupid, but I seriously can't sleep, and there's no one up that I can talk to, and even if there was, no one's particularly supportive of the surgery at home. So I need someone to tell me why I'm doing this, that's it's going to be ok.

zarafa, it is totally normal to be worried about an operation but after all the tests they do you go into operation with every chance of success and that includes living to tell the tale!! think about your life if you dont have it done...I know for me it saved my life... I have lost 10 stone, it was undoubtedly the best thing i ever did... try not to worry you will soon be on your journey back to good health!! try to sleep ok nite nite

It's perfectly natural to be worried, and thoughts like you are having probably cross all of our minds - I know they have mine. I decided that the risk to my health by not having the op was too great to take - not only would my life expectancy be lower, but I would not be able to enjoy as much as I should due to health problems.

Although the figures are 2% you have to remember these are taking even the extremely high risk cases into account. I asked my surgeon what his rate for losing patients was, and he has never lost anyone. If you have not done so already, have a chat with your surgeon about your worries.

As Judy says they do all sorts of tests to make sure that the op is as safe as it possibly can be for you and they are experts in their field.

Hopefully tomorrow when more people are around you will get more input. I have not had my op yet and yes those worries are there, but they won't stop me doing what I know is right for me, even though I probably have higher risk factors than some.

I really hope you can get some sleep tonight and try to stop thinking about it for the moment.

Awww hun I wish Id have been up to offer some support last night when you needed it (HUG) In the cold light of day you have probably given yourself all the reasons why this op is good, not just cosmetically but for your future health. One of the things that swung it for me was the thought that I would rather die trying to make things better than not doing anything atall. The chances of anything happening are small but obviously you have to weigh things up and for me the answer was to go ahead and Im sure you will be the same. We all have panics and wobbles and you will probably have more to come but just think how much better you will feel and how much happier your family will be to have you around for many more years :D XX

Zarafa you are perfectly normal. You are going for this surgery because as scared as you are of dying from the surgery you are more scared of living the rest of your life in the body you are in, you are scared of dying and your family trying to carry your coffin... You are scared people will take the mickey out of you when you walk down the street. You hate it when you think people are looking at you, you hate eating out or shopping because people are looking at your choices.....

Finally, you are sick of being the fat person, you know there is more to you than what people see on the outside and it's your turn to show them how wonderful the person inside is too.....
xxx

hi there,

just wanted to say..I worried like hell just before surgery.
Its normal,but honestly you will look back and say its the best decision you have ever made for yourself.
take care x

Back