• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

From lapband tp bypass.. has anyone had any experience on this?

Inked_Up

Hi, i have a lapband, ive had it almost 7 years now, ive had very very slow weight loss, and big weight gains, my body dosnt have a clue what its doing lol.
To cut a long story short, i have failed my lapband, and have decided that i have wasted the last 7 years of my life trying to lose weight with the band and have now decided to hopefully get a bypass.

I would like to know if anyone else here has had a bypass after the lapband?

personally have no experience of the gatric banding procedure, but having spoken to my surgeon re my other half, believe it or not, he doesn't really recommend the band, in fact he only ever recommends the bypass all the way, that's not to say the band doesn't work, but a formula he gave me was like this, the band does 30% of the work - the person has to do 70%, the bypass does 70% of the work where as the person has to do 30%, what i'm rambling to is this, if you have really good will power then the band could be for you, if the willpower slips more often than not then the bypass will be better, as you know the bypass has the added benefit of your body not absorbing the excess calories, i'm sure the op will be a success for you should you wish to go ahead, i guess your GP will be your 1st port of call, best of luck x

Hi Inked-Up, I too have no personal experience of a band but agree with what marky v said. My surgeon also does not perform gastric band surgery unless the patient is paying privately and insists on it. He said 95% of the ops he performs are gastric bypasses and a surprisingly high percentage of those are patients whom have had the band in the past and have not succeeded in losing their excess weight, so are going on to have the bypass instead.

Some people do fantastically well with bands but I do know they have to work harder with it. I had a bypass 9 weeks ago and wouldn't change it for the world.

Good luck,
Cuppa xx

No offence intended hun, but looking at your photo (and your very pretty by the way) you look quite slim, so do you really need the bypass? :)

yh u look gorgeous! do you really want the bypass im 8 weeks post op and only just starting to like mine! xx

thanks everyone...
that pic of me was taken 3 weeks ago and believe it or not i weigh 18 stone 5lb with a bmi of 40 lol, i just take good portrait shots! im desperate to lose my weight now, i will do anything, the bypass is my last hope as ive tried everything else, im 30 years old and have wasted 20 years of my life been this big.
i just hope my surgeon agrees to me getting the bypass!
thanks for all your help. xx

Are you going private?

Just with your BMI and history they may not do the conversion on NHS.

You are gorgeous and if I looked like you, I would want to do the very best for my health and body, much luck on the new stage of your journey.

you are very Catherine Zeta-Jones esque, a beautiful dark haired beauty, best of luck with your upgrade!! please do keep us informed of how it goes ;)

thanks everyone,
it would be nhs if they did the conversion, the surgeon who i saw last basicaly told me to think about it, so im hoping that is a sign that they will let me have the bypass!
thanks marky V, your the second person in a week to say i remind them of catherine zeta jones! thats wierd lol!
cazbandy, im sick of been the girl with the pretty face lol, i wasnt a nice body to match too hehe,xxx

I know but if your bodywork is as hot as your engine...whoah, winning combo.;)

I think everyone has beauty. People who say they are ugly are so wrong. Even top models are not perfect.

I have never judged a person by the way they look, I never think that way. I get to know people, find the true them and looks don't matter one little bit.

I have always been this way but can admire beuty and comment on it in either other women or me. Beauty is beauty and what one eyes sees another may not.

Anyway, we are all beautiful here on this forum ;)

Back