• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

lapband blunder?

milkybar

hello everyone, im new to this side of the forum, i usually appear on the cambridge diet side but i failed i nthat department and i said i would really have a go at it before i considered surgery i did try and failed so here i am!
iv found my surgeon and clinic
im paying £4000 and i will be going to belgium to the elyzea clinic, for a lapband,
but firstly i will be going to london for the initial consultation.
i have a few queries of my own but i was also wondering if any of you have any questions you think i should ask because i know ill think of a few get there ask them come home and think of a hundred more, so would like to ask them all when im there,
i would also like to know of the people here with a lap band and also if anyone is local to essex as i would like to meet up with someone as im very interested in seeing your post op belly and scars and also i would like to know can you feel the port under your skin?

my questions for the consultant so far include:
1) will i feel the port under my skin
2)can i drinnk alcohol
3)what happens when i fall pregnant
4)to make it bigger do u need to cut the skin again
5)what happens when i reach goal, do i keep shrinking

any more please , or any answers would be great!

my questions for the consultant so far include:
1) will i feel the port under my skin
2)can i drinnk alcohol
3)what happens when i fall pregnant
4)to make it bigger do u need to cut the skin again
5)what happens when i reach goal, do i keep shrinking
any more please , or any answers would be great!

Hi Ya I'm a Lapbander and have been for 6 weeks now. I had my op privately in London and with that i get 2 years support and Unlimited Fills. I can answer your questions easily as below:

1) will i feel the port under my skin - Initially you will feel a pulling feeling where the port is attached to your lowere stomach muscle but after 4 weeks this subsides completley and 6 weeks on i can't feel my port at all . Sometimes when i'm swimming i can feel my muscle where its attached but the port is very deep under tissue and only if i press my belly very hard can i feel the port.
2)can i drinnk alcohol - Yes you can drink alcohol EVENTUALLY but you should refrain around 4 weeks into your band because a) you probably wont feel like it anyway and B) its not really gonna help u recover as well etc. I can drink....but not like i used to ....2 glasses of wine and i'm gone !!
3)what happens when i fall pregnant: When you fall pregnant your band will just need to be emptied of Saline so u are able to eat fully and nutritionally for you and your baby to be healthy and then once you have the baby a few months after you would have a fill again and work back to the restriction that would help u lose any extra lbs u've put on
4)to make it bigger do u need to cut the skin again: No. the saline is injected thru the skin into the port.
5)what happens when i reach goal, do i keep shrinking: No eventually your body will get to a controlled weight as a matter of nature so what you eat will just keep your weightloss at a happy medium, however this is something you would need to work on constantly. The band is a tool , not a miracle and any tool needs someone to work it. If u over eat you will put on weight and if u under eat your body will just plateau and not lose weight. To acheive maximum effect with the band you will need to get to the correct restriction and then once you have lost your weight...its all about maintenance.

Hope that helps. On the site the others who have been banded are:

Allicat
Alice (The one from South Oxfordshire )Amanda
Neen

If you take the time to read our Posts you'll find out so much info...but were here to ask as many questions that u have :)
Also regarding scars, i have 5 small scars, 4 x 1inch and 1 x 2inches. I have healed completely , all bruising has gone and in time they will fade of course but i do not expect them to ever dissapear totally.

The most important thing u need to find out and consider is :

Is there any after care available?
What happens when i need a fill ,How much they will cost? and Where do i have to go to get them ?

Consider all these options because some people have opted without any after care and i think some of them wished they had. if for instance you have to travel abroad for a fill ,thats gonna cost a lot. as Fills vary from person to person from 2 fills to 8 fills for full working restriction. Also if the fills are not included and without any aftercare or dietician...how will u know what to do ?? ( of course we'll help :) but were not trained doctors or Dieticians we only can go by our own circumstances etc )

Hope thats helped u. Any further help...just ask. All the girls will advise u too i'm sure !
Speak soon
xx

thank you lovebug that really has helped alot,
the fills will take place in their london clinic where all post op care is given its only the procedure thats abroad!

theres so many questions isnt there its such a big thing,
how soon did everyone return to work?

Hi there and welcome to minis! Livvy has given you loads of great advice so i won't go over it again but if you have any other questions just shout. I am 4 weeks post op and feel totally back to normal - i was told I could go back to work after 2 weeks. (Having said that I am a mature student and as I went private chose to have the op over my college summer break so I had no pressure or deadline to return!!) I think 2 weeks off is about the standard recomended. Good luck to you and keep posting x

Hi Milkybar

I had my band done on 15th July and have never looked back. You'll probably find all the answers you need here, I have so far!!!

It's good to chat with people who are at the same stage as you and ones that are further into their journey. It makes you realise that what is happening to you is normal.

I was off work for just under 2 weeks.

Good luck with it all

Back