• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Fruit......???

kateyloo

Hey all - I am a lil bit worried - I am on my pre-op diet - surgery is next Sunday..... the diet consists of clear liquids, green veg and salad, eggs, quorn, chicken or white fish so not bad at all. I am also allowed 3 small portions of fruit a day and that's where my worry starts - now, I love fruit and I am finding it really hard just to eat 3 bits - i.e. today I've had some strawberries, 1 banana, 1 apple, handful of grapes and some raisins - and as I type I really want a pear or something - does anyone know how harmful eating extra portions of fruit can be?? xx

Please don't sabotage your diet. The pre-op diet is for shrinking your liver so yes, eating extra fruit will damage that aim. Sadly fruit contains carbs and that is what you are on this diet for: to get rid of the stored glycogen in your liver. Eating too many carbs will just add to the glycogen your body needs to be rid of.
Raisins are a no-no as dried fruit contains far more sugar (sugar is carbs). I think you should stick to fresh fruit and try to stick to your pe-op diet.
It's tough I know, but ask yourself: how would you feel if you woke up and the surgeon told you he/she couldn't perform your op because your liver was too big? I'm told it's happened!
That may help focus you.
I hope I don't sound harsh, I'm genuinely trying to help you.
Charis xx

i agree with what charis has just said, it will be worth it in the end, and that end is in site now, good luck huni.
charis, is that you? have u changed your name huni, big hugs xxxx

Thank you! I think I will reduce my fruit in take for my last week then and hopefully that will do the trick...... I am definitely feeling the benefits after the 1st week though - I have just taken my dog out for his after dinnner stroll and manage to walk up the 6 flights of stairs to get to my flat at a slightly faster pace..... :)

I agree definitely stick to what you have been told to have.

Fruit is very high in natural sugars and you must get the stored glycogen out of your liver.

My biggest fear was to wake up not done cos my liver was too large and/or too fatty

Good luck

Not long now

xxx

I'm with all of the above...

Back