• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Frustrated in Manchester

shell-

I'm glad to have found this forum, it is nice to see so many posts from people in similar positions or who have similar issues!

I'm in Manchester, and have begun to navigate the fairly secretive world of the "Choose to Change" programme (AKA ABL). My GP referred me in the spring, and it took a couple of months to get to my intake appointment with them, where I found myself being rather embarrassed by some of the things - like "we need to find the smallest part of your waist, bend over to the side and the smallest part of your waist will go in...". It felt like they'd not dealt with anyone who was morbidly obese before - I bend over and nothing goes in, fat rolls poke out! :eek:

At the intake, I said that I wanted to explore their psychological assistance, as there is obviously something inside that has caused me to be this big, and I've had a fantastic counsellor for the past couple of months. My time with her is coming to an end, and I'm told I'll be shuffled off into "the groups" now.

From what I've gathered, they're a bit like weight watchers meets exercises in a nursing home, and the focus is on sticking to a diet.

The thing is, diets don't work - that's why they're big business. I've tried countless diets, and sure I can keep it up for a while (can't most of us if we put our minds to it?), but long term it is a failure for me.

I'm more than a bit frustrated with this whole process. It feels as if they're treating all people who are overweight through to super morbidly obese with the same treatment - diet and exercise only.

It feels like the programmes they had for unemployed people that have come out in the news as being useless at best, harmful at worst. It almost feels like their goal is to keep people who really could benefit from weight loss surgery from getting it, and shoving them into a diet and exercise plan.

Has anyone in Manchester gone through this programme and been finally referred for surgery? If so, how long has it taken?

I'm strongly considering going private, even though I can't really afford to get a loan for £10k (I'd like a sleeve) that I'll need to pay off for at least 5 years. I'd rather not - I think I'd honestly get better, more well-rounded long term care via the NHS, but the gatekeepers seem to be too strong to let me get there. :mad:

hello Shell,seems like down here in London and it may vary from region to region its done differently where I am my doctor referred me to Barts hospital I meet with the clinical psy and the bariatric team over the last 6 months during this time I lost some weight around 10% had all the various tests done ,sleep study ,heart tests,blood tests and regular weight ins. have passed all of them and have been approved for the op (band) so far just awaiting on a letter from the letter from homerton hospital where I should meet the surgeon for the final rubber stamping then after that im not sure how long I will be waiting but according to the team at barts in a matter of months around 6-8 months so fingers crossed it could be post op by april 2014 !

Of course diets work it's just sticking to them thats hard. What's the purpose of the course? Do you need to lose x pounds to be referred on? A
What do you weigh?

im in stockport but had my sleeve done at salford royal manchester, it tuck me 5 1/2 years from my first change your life/keep it off fo good course to getting funding and my op, i had to jump when asked to jump ihad to show that i could lose some weight and keep it off for 6 months then got put in for funding i got refused again and again untill i had sleep apnea, high blood pressure etc etc then i got my 4 consultants to write me letters saying that the surgery will help my conditions and i finally got my funding at my heaviest i was 27 1/2 stone im now 16 weeks post op and weigh 21stone 12lb so its working i wish i would of had the funds to pay for my op and i could of started my life years ago, i know things have changed ie funding its easier to get now or so i have heard so good luck and keep going

hello Shell,seems like down here in London and it may vary from region to region its done differently where I am my doctor referred me to Barts hospital I meet with the clinical psy and the bariatric team over the last 6 months during this time I lost some weight around 10% had all the various tests done ,sleep study ,heart tests,blood tests and regular weight ins. have passed all of them and have been approved for the op (band) so far just awaiting on a letter from the letter from homerton hospital where I should meet the surgeon for the final rubber stamping then after that im not sure how long I will be waiting but according to the team at barts in a matter of months around 6-8 months so fingers crossed it could be post op by april 2014 !

That, to me, is a much more sensible process for someone who is morbidly obese and wants to have surgery to help finally combat it. Thanks for letting me know your experience (and it makes me want to move! ;) )

Of course diets work it's just sticking to them thats hard. What's the purpose of the course? Do you need to lose x pounds to be referred on? A
What do you weigh?

And that's the rub - they don't work because people can't/don't/won't stick to them. That's why they're such huge business, repeat customers coming back again and again!

I don't know the real purpose of the course. I'm told it is an 18 month course, to get you to lose weight and keep it off. But the groups part that I'm being referred on to is only for six months. They're very secretive about the whole process, and what it takes to get referred on for surgery.

I weigh 158kg... :cry:, I'm 48 and I just want to start living my life before it is too late to do anything about my weight.

im in stockport but had my sleeve done at salford royal manchester, it tuck me 5 1/2 years from my first change your life/keep it off fo good course to getting funding and my op, i had to jump when asked to jump ihad to show that i could lose some weight and keep it off for 6 months then got put in for funding i got refused again and again untill i had sleep apnea, high blood pressure etc etc then i got my 4 consultants to write me letters saying that the surgery will help my conditions and i finally got my funding at my heaviest i was 27 1/2 stone im now 16 weeks post op and weigh 21stone 12lb so its working i wish i would of had the funds to pay for my op and i could of started my life years ago, i know things have changed ie funding its easier to get now or so i have heard so good luck and keep going

Wow. 5.5 years?! That's really terrible. I'm glad you finally were approved though, it is just terrible it took so long.

What are your thoughts on this Choose to Change program? In your experience, are they as difficult to deal with as I'm seeing? Were you with them the whole 5.5 years?

I don't have the money to just go private, either, and the debt would be highly difficult for me. But I figure the savings on groceries (it is just me, so my spend would be quite minimal if I had the surgery) would probably make up the difference. But I'd really rather not go that route, for reasons other than just the cost (I think there's better care, long term, with the NHS).

My GP told me that by the time idd jumped through all the hoops required it was going to take around 5 years to get the op! Hence I'm going private, is a lot of money but a small price to pay to get my life back,a lot of the companies do do interest free finance options, good luck in whatever you decide x

I'm strongly considering going private, even though I can't really afford to get a loan for £10k (I'd like a sleeve) that I'll need to pay off for at least 5 years. I'd rather not - I think I'd honestly get better, more well-rounded long term care via the NHS, but the gatekeepers seem to be too strong to let me get there. :mad:

I know it doesn't make a lot of difference in the grand scheme of things, but I am being sleeved in Manchester at the Alexandra with Professor Basil Ammori and I am paying £7750.00 which is one of the cheapest prices I've seen. I arranged it directly with the surgeon but if I had arranged it with the hospital it would have been a lot more I think.

I had my op done with prof b ammori aswell good luck

Hello Shell!

I am in the Manchester area, and currently pre-op for a RNY, it's taken since August 2011 to get where I am now after an initial referral from my GP.

I had to take part in a Weight Management Clinic for a year and lose 10% of my body weight before I could get the referral for surgery, I managed there targets.

I only met with there psychologist once because I was already under a mental health team having twice weekly therapy.

As for your current weight I have been that and heavier and I really do know how you feel.

Please hang around here, and hopefully we can guide you and give you help to deal with things!

Was your weight management clinic the Choose to Change programme?

They've said nothing to me about a year, or 10% of my body weight. They've only said 6 months in "groups" and then I'd be eligible. But...I've heard stories to the contrary, and I'm trying to understand what they are really doing, because I can't afford to wait several years for this - and I don't like the lack of transparency.

I know it doesn't make a lot of difference in the grand scheme of things, but I am being sleeved in Manchester at the Alexandra with Professor Basil Ammori and I am paying £7750.00 which is one of the cheapest prices I've seen. I arranged it directly with the surgeon but if I had arranged it with the hospital it would have been a lot more I think.

Oh, a couple thousand does make a huge difference to me! Thanks for that info, it is definitely helpful. How did you get an appointment directly with him, did you just ring his office? Thanks!

My GP told me that by the time idd jumped through all the hoops required it was going to take around 5 years to get the op! Hence I'm going private, is a lot of money but a small price to pay to get my life back,a lot of the companies do do interest free finance options, good luck in whatever you decide x

Ugh, mine didn't tell me anything, except it was like a "slimming club on the NHS". Five years is a cruel amount of time to wait, tbh.

Oh, a couple thousand does make a huge difference to me! Thanks for that info, it is definitely helpful. How did you get an appointment directly with him, did you just ring his office? Thanks!

Yep - I can't PM yet because I don't have enough posts, but if you google Professor Basil Ammori his website is the top result. I called first thing one morning and had my consultation that evening! Apart from one little issue with his secretary, he and his team have been brilliant so far. I get answers to any questions within a half an hour - even if I email Professor Ammori himself

OMG... I am waiting to see dr next week for bypass referal. In my area, I went to tipping the balance... The area weight lose scheme in April after referal in January. I was told I got funding last month and it was up to gp to refer me direct to the hospital of my choice. It seems to.be a lot quicker in Kent, but I don't know what my gp is gonna say yet, but if he doesn't do any thing I will quote him the "NICE" guidlines!

Back