• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Frustrated! no restriction

Helen louise

I had my 3rd fill on monday & I still have no restriction, the only way I feel it is if I eat too quickly,

I have 6.25ml in a 10ml band,

I am the same weight now as I was on op day :(

I eat a low carb diet as I am a diabetic so my diet is mainly meat & veg/salad
Its just so frustrating & I really don't know what to do, please someone tell me this can be normal for some people & the restriction will kick in at some point :(

Yes, unfortunately I had the same.

I went into my surgeon with a large handbag full of 'evidence' why I needed a larger fill. Thankfully on my last battle, I won and I could have had any amount added.

But..... Wowza, 1ml more and jackpot.

Hang in there, go back earlier for another fill, insist, plead, beg, insist, then overwhelm with paperwork and books :eek:

Job done :)

It is still only a few days after a fill, I had mine on 5th January (my 3rd) and felt no restriction at all. I still dont in terms of the amount and quantity I can eat, but I also know that the weight I have lost is down to my controlling exactly what I do eat, I now have 7.5mls in my 14ml band, but although this week I feel less hungry, I could and am still able to eat what I wanted.

It takes time, but also the variations can mean that it takes a couple of weeks for any restriction to be felt - one of the reasons why a lot of providers won't do a fill less than 2 weeks after the previous one. Speak to your provider, see what they say and in the meantime if you don't keep a detailed food diary and log.

But it can take a while for restriction to be found, but its also a combination of finding the right level of calorie intake along with carbs and protein - do you know what levels you're having of each? Do you record it via something such as myfitnesspal?

Try not to rush the fills because too tight too soon can be damaging. The very fact that you say you can feel it when you eat too quickly, means you do have some restriction! It may help to look more closely at the types/amounts of food you are eating as well as considering the need for a fill. I have days when i can eat 2-3000 calories worth of food still, even now. have never been really tight enough to totally rely on the band, but I have lost 150lbs being careful the majority of the time with the type of food and quantity I eat, with the good old band helping me in the background. If all you are eating is veg/salad and meat, could you be eating too little? What does your dietician/consultant say? X

I can sympathise it is frustrating however a big concern of mine reading your post is I can feel it when I eat too quickly. Number one advice; slow your eating pattern now because once restriction kicks in, and trust or read my diary it takes time, if you have not learned to eat slowly you will spend a lot of time over a toilet!!!

Hi, its ok its only happened twice in 3 months, both times involved food I don't normally eat (toast & yorkshire pud)I make myself eat slowly at each meal, chewing well, I was always a fairly slow eater anyway apart from the odd time when busy & not thinking!
Today has been quite interesting actually, I have felt a reasonable amount of restriction, lunch was a salad with some chicken, i ate the chicken first which went down ok but the salad just sort of sat there! tonight I had steak with mushrooms & again wasn't able to eat much of it, I find it quite odd the nearly a week after a fill its having an effect now! I have eaten almost the same thing twice since monday & never had a problem :/

thats why I said give it chance to settle as variations during the month can even itself out which also means you can slow on the fills - :) sometimes we have to be patient and give it time and trying different things :)

I can't eat bread, beef, Yorkshire pud ( and loads of other things ), so it could be what you are eating as well.

I try not to eat slidy food, eat slowly but not too slowly, chew well, but not over chewing.

Patience is a virtue...... Took me a while to get some.....

My victory was a combination; seeing a dietician to make better food choices, physically chewing less, eating more quickly and a bit more saline in the band.

The jackpot has been worth waiting for if somewhat frustrating on the way, but worth taking the time to get there.

I've seen a dietician twice over the last 12months due to my type 2 diabetes diagnosis last year, the trouble is almost all dieticians within hospitals/weightloss providers do not support low carb diets even thought it has been shown to improve blood sugar levels dramaticly, the NHS guidelines are to still eat complex carbs & up your meds if your body doesn't cope! its just downright bizarre!

Back