• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

funding approved for weight management course

jodie 79

Hello all...After 2 years of applying for funding from the NHS for baritric surgery i have finally been approved for a 6 month weight management course in Fakenham Norfolk,how i read the letter is that i have to do this and after the 6 months they will then make a report on me and send it to the Norfolk PCT advising if i do need surgery or not...anybody else on here had to do this and what is exactly involved and how likely will they approve banding??
Many thanks

Lush121

It is part of the pathway that has been approved nationally by NICE - people should only be considered for weight loss surgery if they have followed some kind of a weight management course. Not everywhere in the NHS actually offers this, so the criteria is not applied strictly across the country.

Nigglybits

Think that's what I may be doing, but like you, have not really been told a lot. I got a call from my doctor saying my pct have granted me funding to attend Addenbrookes for level 3 Weight management :( Not sure what that emails, but have my first appointment on 14th Nov, so will let you know :)

highspirit

didnt have to do any of that but it will be worth it in the long run .whatever it takes to get the results x

jodie 79

I was given the choice of addenbrooks or fakenham but with fakenham being closer to me I chose to go there. Please let me know how you get on with your appointment Nigglybits I'm intrigued to what is involved... Cause I will holly123 as soon as I get my 1st appointment :0)

jodie 79

I have everything crossed for you.. If poss keep me informed I'd be interested to know how you get on as I'm at the start of the journey :0)

jodie 79

I have now got my 1st appointment on the 4th December....anyone got any updates on what is involved? :0)

Nigglybits

Went for my first appointment last week at addenbrookes. Be prepared to spend a couple of hours there. Went through aload of questions about your family history, weight loss history, complications in your Heath, & how you feel about yourself. Then they take bloods and urine samples. Basically they decide from this appointment what path you take,whether it be the 6 month intensive weight management course, or psychologist etc.
If they put you on the 6 month course, they then decide at the end of it whether you are suitable to be put forward to weight loss surgery, which then has to go back to he PCT to make a decision. I have to go back every fortnight to see either the dietician, psychologist or nurse. :) Let me know how you get on :)

Lee 77

hi all I have done the 6 month weight clinic was told by the doc he would put me in for the op I have had some appointments through to see 3 different docs what will happen at these meetings any ideas plz??

Butterfly38

I'm a bit gutted reading these threads. I've done a 12 month weight management course ... Pct has approved funding.... And now I have to go see surgeon dietician psychologists.... Etc 14 dec, I was under the impression this was my pre-op Appointment but reading on here I'm now worried I will have to wait again. I've been waiting since may for a surgeon, can't hold on much longer!! Does anyone know any more abt this appointment?? Thanks guys x

Samsara

It seems every PCT does something slightly differently. Mine has an obesity adult care pathway http://www.royalberkshire.nhs.uk/PDF...%20pathway.pdf

I have had to jump through a number of hoops over the years - the last one being a 12 month weight management course that I started in September (details of this are below - please have a look).

Oxfordshire Weight-loss Lifestyle Service

http://www.royalberkshire.nhs.uk/PDF...ent_clinic.pdf

http://www.royalberkshire.nhs.uk/pdf...0Leafletv3.pdf

The obesity treatment "pathway" flow chart shows the order of how you will be treated and on mine the weight management course is the final stage before you will be considered for surgery.

The weight management course in my area starts off as a 12 week (weekly) group meeting (90 minutes) with others in the same position. This then turns into a monthly masterclass (60 minutes) - so the whole course is for 12 months in total :/ A dietician and a psychologist lead our group and we cover all sorts of things and the idea is to educate and change behaviours by making small manageable changes. We also get weighed each time. A report gets sent to the GP periodically to inform of progress. If you have any questions, please ask :)

As far as I understand it, if you get to the next stage (after the weight management course) you are then assessed for suitability for surgery. You have an appointment/assessments with the surgeon, the bariatric nurse, the dietician and the psychologist - lots of form filling and long discussions where notes are taken in order to write a report about you. Shortly after this the MDT will have a meeting to discuss current applications/cases and at this point the MDT (multi disciplinary team) may decide you are not ready for a number of reasons - i.e. you have an eating disorder that needs to be treated, you are psychologically not ready, you are not medically fit for surgery etc etc. Once the MDT decide you ARE ready and suitable for surgery, they then have to apply to the PCT again for funding for surgery putting forward the reasons why you would benefit from which surgery. If the PCT then approves funding for surgery you will be put on the waiting list and once you have a date will go in again for a pre-operative assessment and meet the team again including the anaesthetist this time. This is where you will be given the pre-op diet. I don't know what else happens - some medical things I think. This pre-operative assessment happens two to three weeks prior to your surgery. I was told once the MDT have decided I am suitable and fit for surgery and my funding has been approved by the PCT it will be anything up to 18 weeks before I would get surgery.

This is how I have been told it will work in my area - it may be different for your PCT. I would go online and try and find the obesity adult care pathway for your PCT. Hope some of that helps someone :) x x

jodie 79

Thanks to everyone for your input... I have been on the weight management course now for 3 months and have managed to lose 1stone 10lb :0) I have my fingers very tightly crossed for good things for the future!!