• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

funding approved? question..

grizabelle

Hello,

I was just told by my GP last week that my funding has been approved and a referral has been sent to Chichester, and an appointment there should come through within the next 3 months.

I've been reading a lot about Why Weight. Nobody has told me anything about this and I don't understand who has to do it - if I've been referred with funding, could I still have to do this Why Weight before a surgery is scheduled? Who is it for?

My GP told me that funding was approved, I should see them in three months, and everything should be done within a year. So from this I take it he doesn't think there will be any delays but I've been reading otherwise!

Many thanks, y'all.

Hi there!

I was referred as well but had to go via why weight - it takes a year to do the weight management unless your bmi is over 50 then u only have to do 6 months or sometimes are referred directly. Sounds like you will need to go via why weight though.

I guess you will find out when why weight or the hospital hat in touch? They say 3 months but they didn't take that long with me to get in touch maybe 6 weeks tops, it's frustrating I know but hang in there - you'll get there! Be strong and fight for what you want! :)

where are you located Birdie?

Also what is a hospital hat - I assume that was a typo or is it something they make you wear when you go for your appointment? lol

Frankie

where are you located Birdie? Also what is a hospital hat - I assume that was a typo or is it something they make you wear when you go for your appointment? lol Frankie

Lol! I meant when the hospital GET in touch! I have such fat fingers! Lol! I'm going to Chichester.

I've been trying to lose weight since early 2012 - well before that really, but 2012 is when i first went to the doctor, saw the nurse, got weighed, tried Orlistat, went to weightwatchers, went to the gym, tried Diet Chef, etc, etc, etc.. (I'm sure most people have similar stories) and of course all of this is documented by my doctor. I would lose then gain more then lose a little then gain more then lose a little then gain more.. consequently I'm now 2 stone heavier than i was in 2012.

The reason i'm saying all this: i wondered if any history of trying to lose weight with your doctor tuned in to it counts for anything, and if there is any way to bypass further weight loss efforts if you've already killed yourself trying with no real success. Despite this would I still be required to do it for another year?? That would be such horrible news if it were the case. i've tried and tried and tried - even so far as booking a consultation abroad for a gastric sleeve only to find it was still out of my budget. Relentless effort already.

Do you know if that counts for anything?? Thanks if you or anyone else can share their thoughts.

Unfortunately Hun I had exactly the same story also did weight loss through my dr with orlistat but was required to do the 1 year. What is your bmi huni? Whereabouts are u?

My BMI is 39. I have pre-diabetes, sleep apnea, hyperhidrosis (that is much worse with all this weight), high cholesterol, high BP and my cardiologist asked my doctor to refer me. I've also had an echo recently and they found a leaky valve but don't consider it to be serious yet - but again with all the weight it is under more stress.

I'm one of those that will hopefully be viewed as preventative and they'll do it to save themselves money on all of the above. I realize my BMI is not as high as some others, but my co-morbidities are piling up so that definitely counts for something according to my GP. Interesting how you find yourself feeling "glad" that you have certain things so that you'll qualify? That was a really bizarre moment for me - "yay, i have sleep apnea as WELL, so that really helps!"

I can't remember what else you asked me as I can't see your question while typing in this window (that's some bad web forum design there, i might add!).. i'll follow up with any other thoughts.

My BMI is 39. I have pre-diabetes, sleep apnea, hyperhidrosis (that is much worse with all this weight), high cholesterol, high BP and my cardiologist asked my doctor to refer me. I've also had an echo recently and they found a leaky valve but don't consider it to be serious yet - but again with all the weight it is under more stress. I'm one of those that will hopefully be viewed as preventative and they'll do it to save themselves money on all of the above. I realize my BMI is not as high as some others, but my co-morbidities are piling up so that definitely counts for something according to my GP. Interesting how you find yourself feeling "glad" that you have certain things so that you'll qualify? That was a really bizarre moment for me - "yay, i have sleep apnea as WELL, so that really helps!" I can't remember what else you asked me as I can't see your question while typing in this window (that's some bad web forum design there, i might add!).. i'll follow up with any other thoughts.

Hi Hun.. Well yes your co morbs do definitely count for something at best I think you might get away with 6 months in why weight but don't bank on it. My bmi is 44 and although I don't have as many co morbs as you (sleep apnea and arthritis) I still had to do a full year. When I found out I was so upset!! I went back to my GP who was amazing and literally cried in her office and she even tried to send a letter for me to st Richards explaining that I'd done some weight loss with the GP and didn't want the why weight thing and they rejected her letter saying I must complete tier 3 before moving on to tier 4 (which is surgery) so sucks!!

Hi Yes same as Birdie says "co morbs do definitely count", you might get away with the six months because of the Diabetes, but new rules you have to have a BMI of 40 for Diabetes.

Anything else wont count. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis, Lyth trouble, been on all sort of diets, Doctor Surgery weigh in, Doctor sent letter to hospital it made no difference I still had to do the year.

Like Birdie, I am still only half way with the hospital still got to jump through hoops. Even thou you have the funding, you still have to go to Seminar, see Dietitians, etc then you get put on the list.

I hope it is different for you, and I wish you well on your journey.

I've been trying to lose weight since early 2012 - well before that really, but 2012 is when i first went to the doctor, saw the nurse, got weighed, tried Orlistat, went to weightwatchers, went to the gym, tried Diet Chef, etc, etc, etc.. (I'm sure most people have similar stories) and of course all of this is documented by my doctor. I would lose then gain more then lose a little then gain more then lose a little then gain more.. consequently I'm now 2 stone heavier than i was in 2012.

The reason i'm saying all this: i wondered if any history of trying to lose weight with your doctor tuned in to it counts for anything, and if there is any way to bypass further weight loss efforts if you've already killed yourself trying with no real success. Despite this would I still be required to do it for another year?? That would be such horrible news if it were the case. i've tried and tried and tried - even so far as booking a consultation abroad for a gastric sleeve only to find it was still out of my budget. Relentless effort already.

Do you know if that counts for anything?? Thanks if you or anyone else can share their thoughts.
I know it is frustrating when we all want to get slim NOW because we have tried so hard for many years - I was initially frustrated too. But with hindsight the long process ensured that I was really ready. It helped me change my mind set - and (for me) gave me time to go for counselling to tackle comfort eating and eating when stressed. I also did loads of research, read everything I could get my hands on and with the dietitian make changes to my eating and drinking habits. I hope that it doesn't take as long for you as it did for me - but If you are proactive at least then you are doing something positive x

crikey so I guess the GP telling me funding was approved means very little at this point. I took it to mean that the final outcome - surgery - was already preapproved and that it was now just a matter of getting the initial appointments out the way. He told me the whole process would be done within a year. I can see this is going to be a long and frustrating road ahead.. but then again, I was in the process of trying to get this done privately and simply couldn't afford it so the fact that it is on the NHS is amazing, so need to just pipe down, be grateful and wait patiently (while complaining here! lol)

My mum told me there was a recent programme on TV or something in the news about how they're doing more preventative surgeries now than ever before - having cottoned on to the fact that it can save £££££££ in the long run. I guess they have to put us through a process first or everyone would be doing it!

crikey so I guess the GP telling me funding was approved means very little at this point. I took it to mean that the final outcome - surgery - was already preapproved and that it was now just a matter of getting the initial appointments out the way. He told me the whole process would be done within a year. I can see this is going to be a long and frustrating road ahead.. but then again, I was in the process of trying to get this done privately and simply couldn't afford it so the fact that it is on the NHS is amazing, so need to just pipe down, be grateful and wait patiently (while complaining here! lol)

My mum told me there was a recent programme on TV or something in the news about how they're doing more preventative surgeries now than ever before - having cottoned on to the fact that it can save £££££££ in the long run. I guess they have to put us through a process first or everyone would be doing it!
Don't worry - getting funding means a great deal and it maybe the new guidelines will speed things up - I do hope so.

I guess I will just have to wait and see. i'm sure i'll hear something in the next few weeks.. birdie says she heard within 6 weeks. It's only 5 now! Next week it'll only be 4. I'm sure everyone relates to this incredible despair here - it's like we've all spent so long trying to lose weight and failing and finally, FINALLY.. there is a light.

hey Chrisyd, how amazing you must feel for shedding 50 pounds since surgery :)
Hi - sorry I think my tracker is a bit misleading. I lost that weight as part of the pre-op process including the LRD. I think I have lost quite a bit since - but I don't know how much yet as I'm waiting for my first after-surgery appointment in September. Xx

Back