• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Funding in birmingham

emzie88

My gp has referred me to heartlands hospital , have not heard back yet but I am wondering if I should pay instead as I'm worried I may have to wait a long time for the surgery ! I would have to take out a loan but as I have no big outgoings I think id manage but I was just wondering if anybody else has been to heartlands and what they are like ??

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Hi hun

This is a difficult one ... I went private because I had no co-morbidities to speak of . . . to advise you I guess we would all need to know a little more about you such as age, weight height BMI and so on. This is simply because that advice I would give to someone with a 30 BMI would be massively different to that I would give to someone with a BMI of 60 and countless co-morbidities. Plus the questions you are asking about funding does largely depend of you BMI etc. xx

Hi, my bmi is around 50 I've been told and cos I'm a hairdresser my joints are in pain and swollen but I have just been approved a loan but have not taken it yet xx

Hi, Don't take the loan- you'll need the money for new clothes !!
I've waited an eternity at Walsall Manor but my pct are now referring to Heartlands as their waiting list is only 13 weeks ( from funding approval). They also do laprascopic surgery as opposed to open and have a brand new state of the art bariatric department.
The wait will be worth it
All the best

Before making any harsh decisions find out how long is waiting list and whether patient choice applies to which hospital u go to as then u could choose the one with the lower wait time

Can I just say that although Heartlands has a brand new bariatric department your actual op is done in the main hospital. The surgeon and team were great but I was sent to an ENT ward where the staff seemigly had no clue about bariatric surgery and were less than friendly...
But...only had to stay overnight and I got my op and have lost ten stone so all good x

I have to say that those waiting times for Heartlands sound way too good to be true! I would ring the PALS department and ask them to find out what the waiting times are or alternatively ask Mr Super's secretary herself and ask what waiting times are for surgery after funding approval...

There are quite a few on here who've had surgery at Heartlands. Rambo and Scooby are the ones that spring to mind immediately.

I waited 9 months from first appointment with GP to surgery also x

Hiya, The 13 weeks is the figure my PCT gave me last week for Heartlands, not one that I know of from personal experience :eek:)

No way! So mr super then at the heartlands also works at the hospital group cos thats who my consultation is with!

So disheartened!! Rang heartlands, there's no letter received by my gp and as I've never done their weight management thing if have to do that for 6-12 months and I have also been declined a loan from 2 ppl and I'm waiting at bus stop by work and the handle on my trolley case has broken and it's too heavy to carry so just about ready to snap today! :(

I am under Heartlands.

They recently told me the criteria had changed and no longer followed NICE guidelines.

I got this confirmed by the hospital.

I then contacted PALS and was told it had not changed yet, but will change soon.

I contacted them again yesterday for more specific info and was told the changes will be lpoked into October and the implementation date has not been set yet.

So, the hospital are giving out false info and I am not sure why.

So, check and double check everything before you upset yourself too much. Plus, get onto the secretaries at your GP and see if they posted the referral.

Good luck!!! Xxx

Just had the best news , my grandparents are lending me the money ! Love them to death xxx

I am in West Yorkshire and have been waiting for six weeks so far for my funding to come through. I asked one of the surgeons I work with to see me privately and he told me to get a referral from my GP which I did and this is over a year and a half ago now. I just need to know whether or not I will get funding otherwise, I will go privately - I am at the end of my teather now.

Neeta X

Hi neeta that's crazy!!! I never thought this was going to happen privately as I have been refused loans but I was determined to get it done asap ! Good luck with your journey hope ur patience pays off xx

Back