• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Anyone with experience on WLS at Heartlands Birmingham?

Stinie

Hiya.

I'm very new to this site and was wondering if anyone had their WLS at Heartlands Birmingham?

I was wondering what the process is like there as I have heard that every area differ and I come under Heartlands. I'm only at the very beginning still - my doc referred me to the weight management team and she mentioned a gastric band as an option for me.

What happens from here on? (haven't received a letter with an appointment yet)

What sort of time scale am I looking at?

What boxes do I need to tick to be eligible for a band?

And any other information that might be useful please :)

Stinie xx

Hiya. I'm very new to this site and was wondering if anyone had their WLS at Heartlands Birmingham? I was wondering what the process is like there as I have heard that every area differ and I come under Heartlands. I'm only at the very beginning still - my doc referred me to the weight management team and she mentioned a gastric band as an option for me. What happens from here on? (haven't received a letter with an appointment yet) What sort of time scale am I looking at? What boxes do I need to tick to be eligible for a band? And any other information that might be useful please :) Stinie xx
hi Stinie welcome to a great site. Im under Heartlands having a Bypass in November i was referred from Dec 2012 from GP went to weight management in August 2013 had mdt meeting June saw bariatrics on July plus surgeon so a long time for me . But criteria has changed since. Before was that you had to gave co mobilities such as sleep apnea diabetes etc plus a bmi of 40+ or 50 with none. Whats your weight and bmi? You will have to do the weight management course and be in the system for at least 6mths/12mths to show your willing to commit to changing your eating habits before any type of surgery this will be discussed at mdt meeting then to see if you are eligible before a decision is made.Because things have changed you may now jump through a lot of hoops . I hope I have been helpful and any other questions I will try my best to help. All the best hopefully not too long before you are on the weight management course If i was you I would give them a week or so and chase up your GP secretary to see if she has sent off the referral form. Best wishes hun x

I didn't go to Heartlands I went to the Spire in Solihull but I know my surgeon Mr Richardson also works at Heartlands as he told me thats where I could contact him if I needed to :)

Thank you for that - gives me an idea of what I might be facing. I was gonna ring the doc today anyway to chase it up as it's been a month now. I know it could take longer but I want to make sure she hasn't forgotten so I'm not having any unnecessary delays. I'm also gonna ask exactly what she has referred me to as I'm not entirely sure. It's difficult to remember everything that was said in an appointment lol.

I think the reason why I want a band is because it's reversible. The other ops are a bit more scary to think about. But then again I don't think I would ever have the band taken out anyway as I have proved plenty of times that I can't maintain a weight loss on my own. I need a good tool to help me stay on track..

Thank you so much for your replies :)

Last edited:
when I got my admission letters and pre op assessment letter it also had a form to get a ecg done, if it works the same as it does where i had my surgery then everyone will be asked to have a ecg as standard, in the lead up to surgery etc, so there's no need to worry about it

I was under Heartlands, but they kept cancelling appointments etc that after 9 months I had only had 2 conversations with them! My GP transferred me to Shrewsbury and I never looked back. Good luck.

Back