• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Funny day - not funny ha ha, old habits worry

ditzyangeluk

I had a bit of an odd day yesterday ...

I have, til now, resisted eating in public 'just in case' (you know, better to be on home ground in case of dumping, adverse reactions, etc!!) Better to be safe than sorry!

However, yesterday, had a day with my sis & then took her kids (my wonderful nephew & niece) into town to do a bit of late night Xmas shopping for their presents for each other :47:.

ANYWAY, they invariably had to have Maconalds for tea but I was fine with that .. I thought! (Sis had had Burger King for lunch & I just had a a latte - which, for some reason, made me VERY hyper so sis has banned me :silly::8855:)

Kids had Chicken Nugget Happy Meals & I had a cup of tea - aren't I good?! :innocent0002: No, I also had ... one chicken nuggest, 5 chips AND a sip of Pepsi! :eek: And it was sooooo good!! :gimi: But I felt really bad in an "OMG, what have I done?" way!! :argh: (But it was sooooo good!! Did I already say that?! )

Worse was to come ... My BIG weakness has always been crisps (the "Devils Food" as Shaw Somers said on TV!!) & sis buys boxes of them at Makro - don't ask! This week was Cheese & Onion Discos - my ultimate favourite!

I had two bags during the evening! :eek::ashamed0005: That's all I am saying.

The things that bother me;
  • no dumping on sugars or fats I have found - good :party0011: .. but maybe not so good?
  • chips !! :eek:
  • I still long for what I can't have (don't we all!)
  • I know I could so easily get into bad habits again & it DOES worry me :break_diet:
  • I can't seem to get my butt into get to get sorted out with anything to do with my pouch, eating, etc
I'm doing ok I guess, despite things. But for the future long-term ... Help! :help2:

dont worry about it ! we all deserve a treat now and then as long as its not a daily thing you will be ok.

liz x

I am not as far ahead as you but would of thought the odd lapse wont do you any harm, we are only human and as long as its not a daily habit I would not worry too much chick...xx

I am still on the liquid stage, i am not that far on.
I can see why you might be worried about getting into bad habbits again, because if it happened once with no consiquences (sp?!) then you could think that you can get away with doing it again.
I am not sure what adivce/what to say that can really help, but as the others said, try not to worry about it.
Have you got any aftercare support?? Can you phone them and ask them for some advice- not because you have done anything wrong, i am sure you are not the first bypasser to have a few treats that they used to like when out, i am sure having the odd treat is OK, but they might have some advice about how not to slip back into your old bad habbits??
Anyway, take care & try not to worry!! :hug99:
Xxx Lizzie xxX

Hey chick, I see why you might be a little stressed. Don't worry, everyone struggles sometimes/

For the immediate future: no real harm done, no need to worry yourself. It is your head that is telling you that you should go back to old habits. You can control yourself, it is not a big deal just don't start new bad habits.

For the long haul: you might feel without the pain and suffering of dumping you might lapse into old ways and lose control of your eating. Everyone has different tolerance levels, you obviously have a higher threshold for fat and sugar. Aside from the crisps, your portion was very tiny so that may be why you did not have a bad reaction. Learn from that, in tiny portions you still have control. You may have to work harder than others now knowing you can cheat a bit but you made a big step by keeping your portion so small. You just need to bring your head into the game and not let this be a start of a new trend. Think moderation and nutrition first, meet your protein needs first and then your 'treat' will have less room.

You'll be fine, you have the power to make yourself very successful. One slip or even the rare slip will not undo that. You are in charge!!;)

Hi

Firstly its good news you've not dumped, you may be one of the lucky one's and never experience dumping, as it’s not a pleasant experience.

Secondly there is no harm in eating anything in moderation, just because you have had a bypass doesn't mean you have to don the nuns habit and live off salad and veg for the rest of your life, chastising yourself with a wet fish when you stray from the path of righteousness

Hi

Firstly its good news you've not dumped, you may be one of the lucky one's and never experience dumping, as it’s not a pleasant experience.

Secondly there is no harm in eating anything in moderation, just because you have had a bypass doesn't mean you have to don the nuns habit and live off salad and veg for the rest of your life, chastising yourself with a wet fish when you stray from the path of righteousness

Well said Richard, that was the way I was looking at it for the future...xx

It's all the same advice I would give anyone else here - but still ...

I couldn't get over how guilty I felt or how worried I am about bad habits surfacing.

Thanx guys!

It's all the same advice I would give anyone else here - but still ...

I couldn't get over how guilty I felt or how worried I am about bad habits surfacing.

Thanx guys!

Yep i agree the guilt thing is a big thing to get over, but slowly you will get used to it, and soon see that dispite 'having a sneaky McDonalds' wont stop you losing weight ! its also a small step back towards normality, which is a good thing :D

I have to say I'm completely amazed how this operation has changed my way of thinking about food. I'm sure Mr Pollard did n't do anything to my brain but I'm in a place I've never been before.

I don't think about food

Have to keep reminding myself to eat

Have total control over portion sizes, if there is too much soup in my mug I can leave it before I've had too much (I'm still on the liquid and puree stage)

Have not been tempted in the slightest to have anything sugary (sweet things were my weakness) nor in anything else I should n't have.. even managed to feed my little boy a peanut butter and jam sandwich and did n't even lick my fingers when they got jam on them!!

I know its early days for me and it could all change but for now I'm enjoying being the one in control of the things that go in my mouth instead of the food controlling me.

Its early days for me but I hope this lasts as it feels so good to be in control. God help me if I do stray, I think it will leave me totally depressed and feeling so guilty

Alia, you're doing brilliantly. Well done.

I was exactly the same in the early days & it's something I never thought I would say, that I don't think about food & have to remind myself to eat!! Even these days I have many days like that. And I don't have a problem stopping when I have had enough so that isn't a problem, even now.

Keep up the good work!

I have to say I'm completely amazed how this operation has changed my way of thinking about food. I'm sure Mr Pollard did n't do anything to my brain but I'm in a place I've never been before.

I don't think about food

Have to keep reminding myself to eat

Have total control over portion sizes, if there is too much soup in my mug I can leave it before I've had too much (I'm still on the liquid and puree stage)

Have not been tempted in the slightest to have anything sugary (sweet things were my weakness) nor in anything else I should n't have.. even managed to feed my little boy a peanut butter and jam sandwich and did n't even lick my fingers when they got jam on them!!

I know its early days for me and it could all change but for now I'm enjoying being the one in control of the things that go in my mouth instead of the food controlling me.

Its early days for me but I hope this lasts as it feels so good to be in control. God help me if I do stray, I think it will leave me totally depressed and feeling so guilty

Alia - i used to be exactly like this and could never imagine eating again, but its still early days and you will re develope the desire to eat food again, and you will still lose weight eating nicer foods. and yes your right the ability to control and stop yourself eating foods you know that are bad for you or that you shouldn't be eating gets easier to, my crutch used to be bread, i'd eat toast all day long if i could, now though i avoid bread, and i'm no longer really bothered by it.
Because i can only eat small portions nowdays i tend to go for high quality very tasty things rather than just dishes that will bulk me out !
Having a chinese tonight and cant wait, though i probably wont eat anything all day ! :D

I have totally lost my desire for anything sweet, I even struggle with low fat yoghurts and for some reason I seem to be fish mad!....its strange how some things taste so different post op...xx

I am exactly the same I can eat anything. However, you have to remember how much of it we used to eat-not five chips but extra large portion not one quality street but half a tin. I can eat one sweet but not two makes me feel ill, yes I did try two, two potato wedges but not a whole plate full, a small bag of hoola hoops lasts days used to eat a pack of twelve. I try not to buy anything that may lead me into temptation. After three months still don't get hungry and eat by the clock.

I think I will go the way of "a little of what you fancy now & again". It's like my wole life of dieting, the more you deny yourself, the more you want it! Like you said Loll, a few chips is a far cry from a chip shop portion (with scraps!) & a bag of Discos beats the bag of 6 at a time!!

Back