• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Future gastric bypass patient

mazza141180

Post-op Gastric Bypass
Hi all,

My name is Marie I am 32 years old and have spent all of my overweight!
I originally joined this forum back in 2008 when I was looking into surgery. I've since lost 8 stone on the Cambridge diet in 6 months and put 12 back on in the following year!!

Progress so far:

After multiple applications I was finally granted funding from my PCT (Sandwell) and was referred to Walsall Manor. After my initial appointment was postponed I attended Friday gone and was amazed at the info etc!!!

I have 3 further appointments in May, 1 to see Dr Kendrick, 1 to see 2 Drs (?) and 1 for a group session that I believe is to talk about the pre op diet.

Between now and then I have to do some pretty big things

1) quit smoking
2) lose some weight
3) increase my fitness level

I am quite daunted by these things as you know they are all very hard. My back is a nightmare, can't stand without leaning for more than a couple of mins. But the biggest thing that's worrying me is the quitting smoking. I've smoked for nearly 20 years. I've bought an electric fag and really want to do it.

Has anyone any tips to help please??

Thank you so much for reading. :)

XXXXXXX

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Hello and welcome!

Wow - no pressure with your three goals then, bless you!

I can only speak from my own personal experience and like you, I needed to up my exercise, but with mobility problems this was difficult. I also needed to lose weight pre op.

I managed to lose nine stone pre op on a VLCD called Exante. You have obviously lost weight before with a VLCD so know you can do it. I'm only guessing here as never smoked, but if you did a VLCD, your body would go into ketosis - would this help with the stopping smoking/wanting to munch vicious circle?

Once I lost weight I was able to walk and swim more.

Good luck with your journey. This forum is great for support and any questions/worriers we have, especially when just post op.

T x

Hi Marie and welcome

Good luck with your journey x

Hi Marie, look forward to hearing about your journey :) 3 big goals there - everyone here is great for support :)

Thanks guys! Have booked in with gp on Wednesday to talk smoking and sleep apnoea!!! :)

Welcome to you,

I too lost weight with lighter life and Cambridge and put double back on.
I have also quit smoking. I did it with the iCig electronic cig from amazon.
I then had to give that up too.
My surgeon gave me a 2st target to lose in 3 months so show I'm willing to make life changes to have the bypass.
You'll be surprised at the strength you find when there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
Don't let "you spoil it for you"
YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!
Good luck
X
Rudders

Thanks Rudders, you're exactly right! I don't want to stand in my own way which is something I've done for too many years!
Been to the docs and been put on champix. On day 2 of them which you smoke alongside. Only thing I'm feeling at present is very drowsy!!
Waiting for my ecig to arrive.

Anyway thank you for the words of encouragement xxx

Hi Mazza,

Same as you I lost 5 stone on the Cambridge Diet and went down too 17 stone and then put 7 Stone on.

When the surgeon asked me to lose 2 Stone I just did a 1200 a day calorie diet
Eg.

Breakfast 2 weetabix and milk 200 cals
Lunch 2 sandwich thins and ham and low fat salad cream chicken breast 328 cals
Dinner. pork chop, 200g spice wedges, carrot and swede mash, 600 cals
Through the day. Coffee and no sugar squash

Used my fitness pal to track calories.

I stuck to the same format for with small changes in sandwich filler and main meat and potato
I lost 2 stone from 15th Oct to 19th Dec 2012 and was told on the visit to hospital in Dec that I would have my surgery in April.

I tried the Cambridge diet 12 months ago for a second time and couldn't get into it, the hunger never went.
I found the controlled calorie diet better cus it wasn't so boring.

I'm now on the liver shrink diet day 12 with 2 to go and op on Tuesday.
Fed up of milk and yogurt but glad nearing the end.

Hope this helps

Jane

Thanks Louie. Bet you're so excited and nervous at the mo. good luck and ty for your post it has helped x

Hi Marie and welcome to the forum :) Although it is a big ask I am sure you will succeed as like another poster said, this time there is light at the end of your tunnel. It certainly helps motivation to know there is weight loss surgery at the end :) Best of luck and we look forward to hearing how you get on x x x

Thanks Samsara.

I have had to stop the champix for the next couple of weeks as travelling round the country and they make me extremely drowsy!
Have picked up my e cig tho!! Nothing stopping me from starting on that!! :) x

Hi Mazza,
I've switched to ecig at the end of October 2012 and am I ready to quit that too.
I was a very heavy smoker. I'd been smoking for 30 years and, lately, was up to 40 a day.
Stick to it, try to reduce nicotine contents gradually and ... magic! ... it does work.
I started with 18mg nicotine and was down to 9 in a month. I now go with 4,5 and, most of the time, with 0.

I suppose I will still bring one with me to hospital but I'm sure I can do without.

Wow Bally that's brilliant! I asked my CNS if I would have to quit an ecig before surgery too and she kind of avoided the question.

I believe she didn't have an answer.
Ecigs are a very new thing and nobody really knows whether they are safe or not. Well, they are certainly healthier than traditional cigs but this doesn't mean they are healthy.
From my experience I would say that vapour, even if not cancerous, does indeed interfere with pulmonary function in some measure.
Anyway, for me, anything that could help me give up 40 certainly cancerous cigs a day, was welcome!

Attended appointment with surgeon. Had lost 4kilos which I'm pleased about as didn't do anything drastic just tried to make better choices.
Still smoking :(
Signed consent form for surgery, got to double check with Tracey Lowe that my funding is defo in place. Got group session wed abc dr Kendrick on Friday!!! Aaagghhhhh!!!! :)

Have my appointment with Dr Kendrick tomorrow morning - Psychologist. Have no idea what it will entail but onwards And upwards :)

Had my appointment with the psychologist and must say he was lovely.
Cleared for surgery!! YAY!
Not sure what happens now....am going to call the clerk on Tuesday!

Back