• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gall Bladder

wizzbang

Hi everybody,
When I had my first consultation yesterday My Surgeon and I discussed the possibility of him removing my Gall bladder because I know from previous tests that I do have gall stones.
Has anybody had their gall bladder removed during their bypass surgery and did this involve extra costs?
Would having it removed hinder or aid weight loss. I know it isn't done to aid weight loss but just wondered if it did happen to have an effect. Does it make you extra poorly after your bypass if you had it removed or is recovery just the same.
Hope somebody can enlighten me.
Lynne x

Hi! I too have gallstones. I was hoping to have my gallbladder removed at the same time when the surgeon did my bypass. But my surgeon explained that the tools (when it's laparoscopic surgery) are not placed correctly to do the gallbladder removal. Which makes the surgery more difficult. It also would mean the surgery is an hour longer and the risk is increased, recovery may be longer etc. So I was advised against it, and should the gallstones cause me problems I should have it the gallbladder removed later on.
I see his point, and he's the expert. I would still have preferred to have it out immediately, as I know the pain can be excruciating and about 30% of bypass patients develop gallstone problems after drastic weight loss, I'm told.

Thank you for that blueeyes.
My surgeon was suggesting it was done at the same time and he is doing my op 'keyhole'.
I would like the gall bladder taken out if possible but I will have to see what he thinks during the op.
Lynne x

I was speaking to a lady this week who had a hernia, bypass and gall bladder all done in the same op, but that was on the NHS. I would have thought it cost more to do the gall bladder at the same time if you are private, as you will be in surgery for longer, but only your provider can say.

Thank you penguina x
Lynne x

Blueeyes is spot on . . . "the tools (when it's laparoscopic surgery) are not placed correctly to do the gallbladder removal. Which makes the surgery more difficult. It also would mean the surgery is an hour longer and the risk is increased, recovery may be longer etc."

I think it is in excess of 35% of bypass patients develop gallstone problems after drastic weight loss. If he can do it there should be no extra cost (I have agreed to have mine removed and it's all in the price) . . .

Have you thought about open surgery ? I am told it is much safer and the recovery time is not really an issue in this day and age ~ on the plus side there are fewer problems - leaks and alike. xx

Mmmmmm didn't really want open surgery. I will just see what happens on the day I think. Leave it to the expert. I will probably ask him on Tuesday when I see him again.
Thanks for the help everybody.
Lynne x

I asked my team to remove my gallbladder as there is a family history of gallstones. They said NO. 3 months later I have gallstones and have to have my gallbladder out. I'm in agony at least 4 times a week for several hours. I now have to go through the risks of surgery again, anesthetic etc for something they could have done at the same time. Seems crazy to me that they don't do it at the same time.

I think it is probably as the others have said hanisreg, that the surgery for the gastric surgery is placed in a different area that the gall bladder so is inaccessible during that operation unless they make a much bigger incision.
When I have asked my surgeon on Tuesday I will post his response on here. I want to have it done but don't want to pay a fortune and feel it would be better to have it done whilst I am 'under' for the bypass than to have trouble a few months later.
Lynne x

Yes I don't know whether the lady who I spoke to on Tuesday had it open surgery or what - Maybe if as it was the three ops in one.

If you did need the gallbladder done later though it would be on the NHS though surely?

lol, well in that case, I will have a full body lift, face lift, turkey neck removal and some dental work done at the same time please. Lets hope its all included in the price.
Lynne x

Oh I got carried away then, I have to lose the weight first for all of those procedures lol.
Lynne x

I am going to ask for a full head of hair and a 6 pack doing while I am there ! xx
LOL I am more modest I want the optional extra's of 'two hiccups when full' and a full quota of 'dumping' so I never touch another sugary item again!

Yeah I did think of those things too Lynne too but the weight was the problem. I also thought about rolling the clocks back to my mid 20's! They used to be able to clock cars...

lol, first time I have ever thought of it like 'clocking' a car lol.
Yes what I would give to be young again. Its horrible 'bobbing on' although my partner is 20 years younger than me and the same age as my daughter I still sometimes feel ancient. I wish I had had the surgery years ago instead of spending my whole life yo yo'ing and being self conscious. I have never felt comfortable with myself.
I was a tiny little girl until i was about eight when I got glandular fever and I doubled my weight in a few months. I have had and still do have an amazing life though even if i hated being fat.
Lynne x

It shows your age when you know about clocking a car - I don't know if they can do it now with it all being electric, but I know my brother worked in a garage in the 70's and it only took an electric drill on reverse. You are lucky having a great life. Mine is nowhere near bad but I am a glass half empty kind of gal, but yes if it had been done in my 20's or 30's I think life would have been a bit different.

Although I am 46, all our friends are older, The majority being in their 60's and 70's so I think I have aged with them. Maybe I should swap hubby, now he has reached 50 for a 30 something!

Keep hubby if he is in good working order, swap him when you have worn him out a bit more lol.
Lynne xx

trouble is I am more worn out than he is - so I should keep my mouth shut! Still when i get my new lease of life I just may have to make up for the 7 year 14 year and 21 year itches I missed out on..!

Back