• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

gall stones

belinda

hi i just wandered how many people have had to have their gall bladder removed because they lost weight so rapidly and how many have lost weight rapidly but not needed gall bladder removing???

Good question-I'dm lioke to know the answer to this too :eek:)

thanks for asking, im interested too x

i got gall stones after losing 8stone by dieting , then regained the weight ,as usual ,,i needed them and gall bladder removed but sadly because of my weight no one would operate,so now having it removed 2 agonizing years later with my gastric bypass surgery , and cant wait!!!,they are the worse pain i ever felt when infected,,really shocked me how painful they are , x

I had gallstones before my op, and I signed to have them removed the same time of my surgery.. come the day, they would only do my bypass as the theatre list was too big so I had to reconsent.. I dont have the pain i use to thou.. so hoping it has settled, but I know I have a gallbladder full f gravel as I saw them on a MRI scan about 5 years ago..
doesnt answer your question, but just wanted to share lol

i know im being dim, but what is the gall bladder used for? :confused:

I had to have mine removed post surgery. I had my bypass on 30th August and had my first gallstones attack at a friends house at Halloween, but didnt realise it was gallstones at first. The pain was so bad I actually wondered if I might be having a heart attack - I know that sounds dramatic, but good god it hurt.

After a few more episodes I began to suspect gallstones and asked the GP to send me for a scan. I then started having really nasty, severe attacks that would last days at a time. I had my GB removed in the May, so around 9 months post op.

I had never had any problems with my gallbladder pre op, so in my case I do feel the only cause was the rapid weight loss.

Caren said:
i know im being dim, but what is the gall bladder used for? :confused:

The gallbladder stores bile which breaks down fat as soon as you eat it. You can do without it but the fat doesn't get broken down until it reaches the stomach without a gallbladder which has meant for me more wind and digestive discomfort

No problems before op and no problems since op. :D
BUT now that I have said that I will probably have a major attack in the next week :rolleyes: :sigh:
:rotflmao::rotflmao:

No problems before op and no problems since op. :D
BUT now that I have said that I will probably have a major attack in the next week :rolleyes: :sigh:
:rotflmao::rotflmao:

lol hope not!

Back