• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gall Bladder

I would advise you have your GB out at the same time as your bypass.
I developed gallstones after surgery because of the quick weightloss...........I thought i was gonna die the pain is horendous, therefore if you can get rid of it then do, we dont need them x

Thanks, i think I agree, but will see what he says. Its more the money thing, I am being a bit stingy!!
Lynne x

I think it is probably as the others have said hanisreg, that the surgery for the gastric surgery is placed in a different area that the gall bladder so is inaccessible during that operation unless they make a much bigger incision.
When I have asked my surgeon on Tuesday I will post his response on here. I want to have it done but don't want to pay a fortune and feel it would be better to have it done whilst I am 'under' for the bypass than to have trouble a few months later.
Lynne x

Yep I get that. But alot of surgeons in America and Australia whip it out at the same time because of the high risk of gallstones occuring and the high risk of having to re-anesthatise an overweight patient. If it is possible there why not here?

@hanisreg my surgeon doesn't do it because the tools are not placed ideally to do this whilst doing the bypass, and the second reason is recovery. My recovery was amazingly quick. I was walking around my room 2 hours after coming back from recovery and recovered very very quickly from the whole thing, no doubt due to the short time spent under aneasthetic. And additional surgical action would no doubt make recovery longer and increase the risk for the patient. Maybe surgeons here are just more cautious?
If I develop further gallstones and gallbladder infections become a problem, I'm definitely having it out later on. Risk will be reduced because I will weigh much less.

Back