• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

gallbladder- sunderlands policy

christine77

hi all

just wondering what is sunderlands policy on gallbladder - do they take it out during bypass?.

as some of you know my dad is very poorly at the moment and has had to have to emergency operations and it all stems initally from gallstones and then a poisoned gallbladder. i have been talking to his consultant who has advised that i ask my surgeon to take out my gall bladder during my operation so that i dont suffer like my father has.

im just concerned as to when to mention it to mr small and what are the chances of him doing it. ive made an appointment to speak to my gp next week about it and see if he can put it in writing to mr small but im worried that by making this request now it may delay me on the list.

torn as what to do for the best

xxx

Last edited:
Hi Christine

I think sometimes they do but it largely depends on if you actually have stones/sludge in gallbladder, best to discuss with surgeon who will do op and let him decide.
Following RNY they normally put you on a tablet for about 6months to stop stones forming.
One of the bariatric nurses might be able to answer question better if you are not seeing surgeon for a while.

Denise

Hi they dont routinely take the gall bladder out but you can certainly ask them in light of family history. I wish they had taken mine out I was admitted to hospital 4 times since mid December with gall stones, infections and septicaemia as a result. I also had daily attacks which were bearable just as well as having to go to hospital several times for painkillers but not admitted. Luckily I finally had mine removed last Thursday, I have never looked forward to surgery so much lol. I took the Ureoxy to prevent gallstones but it did not work.

Chris there's no harm in asking and I can't see any reason at all why it should delay your surgery love.
How is your dad doing now?

Love, Grace xxx

I asked this at seminar and the surgeon said that they would only usually remove them if there was a history of gall bladder problems.
I had gallstone pre op which were problematic at times. My surgeon told me that they would decide on the day whether to remove it or not, on the basis that if it looked okay and would not take too much extra time to remove or cause a longer recovery then they would remove it but if it was inflamed they would leave it be and remove at a later date as it would make it harder to recover from the bypass.
Mine ended up getting removed at the same time.
There's no harm in discussing your concerns with the docs though, see what they say.

i would ask christine especially with family history and problems i asked about my bowels with my family history of chrones and mr balupuri give them a good check when i was under he said they were fine but with history he decided to give me the sleeve so i had all bowel incase chrones popped up in the future xxx

Back