• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gallstones

BIG KIM

I am a *NEW* Man!
I know this subject has been covered in many threads before, but as I'm having problems with them, then I thought that I would start my own thread.
I was diagnosed with Gallstones about 2 months ago, but seeing as they weren't giving me much trouble, both me and my GP decided to leave them and see how they go.
They have started flaring up at least once a week, with quite bad back, abdomen and chest pain, with the added feeling of nausea.
I have been having an attack since 3.30am this morning, and although it's calmed down a bit, I'm still having it.
I just want you to be aware that you may have to face gallstones when you have had WLS. But believe me, it's still worth it.
I am seeing my GP ASAP, and I'm going to ask him to refer me to Hospital for my Gall Bladder removed. which will solve the problem

Regards

KIM

Reactions: Bev
Hi Kim,

Having my gallbladder and bile duct removed via keyhole surgery was in my case very straight forward... damn painful when it flares up though Kim.

A tip I followed whilst waiting for surgery was to avoid anything at all dairy... it felt like a heart attack with the radiating pain when it started.

They told me that they like to remove when not in a flared up state... so good luck and hope you get your date very soon, such a nuisance when the gallbladder starts playing up.

Love and hugs, Bev xxx

ahhh, Kim sorry your having trouble and i hope youre soon sorted.
Congratulations for getting to goal you look brilliant xx

I just read in my hospital pack that they (my provider) normally whips out the gallbladder whilst in surgery! Never noticed that before & must remember to ask them when I go for my check up. x

I just read in my hospital pack that they (my provider) normally whips out the gallbladder whilst in surgery! Never noticed that before & must remember to ask them when I go for my check up. x
thanks for this thread...its made me think and I will check when I have my appointments to what the score with the gall bladder is..
you would think it would be removed....

I'm with Bev, dairy was awful and gave me gip every time! having an attack every week is not good at all. I think i posted somewhere else here that after a particularly bad episode i had jaundice, had to have various investigations including endoscopy, ERCP, MRI scan and HIV tests, they were about to do a liver biopsy as they thought i had serious liver disease when the jaundice slowly started to clear up and they decided to remove my gallbladder. Turns out the attacks had been so serious i had scar tissue that had caused the bile to back up in to my system! Once the little blighter was out i felt so much better and haven't looked back...it was all caused by rapid weight loss on lighter life about 10 years before. Hopefully you'll feel better soon :)

mm so we need to find out if our gall bladders were taken out at the time of wls dont we, i must remember to ask, kim, what can you do for pain relief if you do get an attack, and do you know roughly when we would get one, i havent lost my weight quite as quickly as a lot of ppl, ive lost 3 stone since may. and have about another 1.5 - 2 stone to go. so i wonder if i would still be at risk. i really feel for you hun, youve lost all that weight, and now you get saddled with this, i really hope it gets sorted out for you soon, hugs x

omg chuffy that bad, thing is, i take co codalmol a lot anyway, and even stronger meds than that on a daily basis, i wonder if they would still help, id never even thougt about having probs like this, really i suppose they should take out our gall bladder if its such a common problem shoudnt they.

I was given ursodeoxycholic acid to prevent this on discharge.

Not sure how long I have to keep taking it though

malazak, i cant even attempt to pronounce that, lol, is it somthing you take every day, and does it have another name, hugs x

thanks mal, ill write that down, its a bit easier to pronounce that the other one, lol

Thanks to your last postings regarding this, I got my pains checked out and it turned out to be Gall Stones, had a few attacks since and have an appointment with a surgeon on 15th October to discuss surgery.

The last thing I wanted was to end up on a operating table again, but I'd rather go through the op than live with that pain, it really is excruiating.

My GP thinks that my bypass is not to blame for the gall stones, he says its most probably due to years of crash dieting using Cambridge and Lighter Life Diets.

Any update yet Kim...?
thank you for this thread..
This is definitely something I am going to question.I would rather they removed it than have to go through this....has anyone been given the option to have the gallbladder removed???

Hi Lisa,
I met up with Kerry (Louise user name) from Warrington, she is due to have her surgery next week and is also having her gallbladder removed because she's having problems with it... maybe you could contact her... I'm out for a while now, any problems getting her message me and I'll help you later...

Love and hugs Bev xxx

Thanks for the comments everyone. The pain has gone (for now), I have booked in with my GP again. I'm not going to mess around. I'm going to tell him I want my gall bladder out ASAP. :(

mm so we need to find out if our gall bladders were taken out at the time of wls dont we, i must remember to ask, kim, what can you do for pain relief if you do get an attack, and do you know roughly when we would get one, i havent lost my weight quite as quickly as a lot of ppl, ive lost 3 stone since may. and have about another 1.5 - 2 stone to go. so i wonder if i would still be at risk. i really feel for you hun, youve lost all that weight, and now you get saddled with this, i really hope it gets sorted out for you soon, hugs x
I'm sorry to say, that there is nothing you can do for the pain. nothing works, nothing over the chemist counter anyway. I read that in some cases, drinking coffee or eating something bitter can ease the pain. i slightly up'd my intake of coffee, not sure if the pain went of it's own accord or it was just coincidence? :confused:

Back