• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gallstones

I'm still pre-op but I know I have gallstones already, diagnosed nearly 20 years ago! I can go for years without any 'attacks' but have had many initially. The last one I had last summer and it wasn't one of the more terrible ones. The pains can be really terrible. When I first had them as a teenager and in my early 20ies I would not know what to do with myself when it happened. Absolutely awful.
When I spoke to the consultant at Charing Cross a few weeks ago, he said that they might take out my gallbladder when they do my op (at the same time), seeing as I already have the gallstones. I would be very pleased if they decided to do that, even if recovery would be slightly longer because of it.

thanks kim, glad to know youve settled down a bit now. i actually take very strong pain medication daily, so i suppose if i was unlucky enough to have problems, i could up them a bit. its something i wouldnt have even thought of, but at least i know now what it is if i do have an attack, i would have panicked if i hadnt have knwn, thanks for bringing it up. hugs x and hope you dont have any more probs.

I think the syptoms may vary from person to person, but here are the list of symtoms I have encountered.....

Stage 1

a) Aching under the breast bone for around 30 mins or so, at an average of 3-5 week intervals.

Stage 2

a) Severe pain under the breast bone and lower back area.
b) Shortnest of breath.
c) Palpitations.
d) Feeling tired and drained for sort periods.
e) lasts between 2 & 24 hours.

If you have Gall stones, avoid All foods with medium to high fat content.
Avoid Dairy products such as Cheese etc.

It is said that drinking Coffee and eating bitter foods or drinks can help ease the symptoms, though I have no experience that this helps.

Like I said, it may be different for others, this is just my experience.

Hi Kim,

It's a really painful problem when it gets going... it's a good thing to be aware of it, since when I suffered, they didn't diagnose it at first and then the episodes occured again and it was another hospital when I was out for the day that picked it up... I only had one large gallstone (they gave it to me as a souvenir) but I was so glad to see the back of it.

Hope it's soon sorted Kim.

Love and hugs, Bev xxx

Hi Lisa,
I met up with Kerry (Louise user name) from Warrington, she is due to have her surgery next week and is also having her gallbladder removed because she's having problems with it... maybe you could contact her... I'm out for a while now, any problems getting her message me and I'll help you later...

Love and hugs Bev xxx
thank you Bev... x x x
I am not having problems with mine..
but I have previously lost a lot on lighter life and Cambridge ..and oristate....it is concerning!!
I just wondered of people are given that option when going for bypass surgery.

Nice to see you feeling better Kim...make sure you get to that G.P and get it sorted...look after yourself hun x x

thanks so much kim for the list of symptoms, at least it gives an idea of what to look out for. i hope you remain symptom free now till you can organise to have it all sorted out. hugs x

Back