• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

gallstones

Nanny Og

Hi folk's

Can anyone who's had gallstones tell me their symptoms?

My gp thinks I may have them and im waiting on an appointment for an ultrasound scan.

hi hun severe pains just under your ribs central traveling to the right can also give back pain going down the right hand side. Good Luck. xx

My personal experience having had my gallbladder removed - I found the stones worse then childbirth, I had several attacks over a very few short time period and I cannot fault the Nhs for how quickly they acted. My diagnoses was confirmed via ultrasound and Cat Scan as well as many hospital visits due to pain. It actually felt like a heart attack to me. Wishing you all the best - Bd XX

I has a persistent dull ache just below my right shoulder blade which the medics thought was muscular/skeletal for a long time until I pushed for an ultrasound and they found a rather large stone. The pain of cholysistitis (inflammation of the gallbladder) was unbearable and was an intense pain in the upper abdominal area, bloating and hot and cold sweats and could last for hours. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy! Thankfully I only got these episodes infrequently and usually after eating a high fat meal or chillies. The nagging shoulder ache never went away until I had my gallbladder removed when I had my WLS. Hope you get your scan soon and can get it sorted x

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

I suffered too - horribly! And since the stones were causing a blockage I developed jaundice and looked as bad as I felt. I agree - the pain was truly unforgettable. I was actually relieved to be told it was 'only' gallstones - I was terrified I might have liver disease.

My GP said there were tablets patients could take to 'dissolve' the stones. Yay! I thought, can I have them please... He said he does not prescribe the tablets because the stones usually come back, afterwards!

I was told to avoid fats in any shape or form. When my jaundice had cleared I went to hospital for a scan, which confirmed the presence of gallstones. Gallbladder removal was advised. Rather than undergo surgery if it could be avoided I checked-out other possible remedies. I found a traditional remedy which, in my case, worked well.

Take 1 tablespoonful of olive oil, add a squirt of lemon juice, and swallow it down. Repeat this process four times a day for one week.

The theory is that the olive oil softens the stones to a consistency the body can pass naturally and without difficulty. Not sure what the lemon juice does!

did it work Girly??? I had no choice after several emgerency admissions they kept me in nil by mouth for 5 days thens took my gall bladder out. The weight loss was great :) lost 10 lbs because I was on water only lol but wouldnt reccomend it as a stable diet lol

did it work Girly??? I had no choice after several emgerency admissions they kept me in nil by mouth for 5 days thens took my gall bladder out. The weight loss was great :) lost 10 lbs because I was on water only lol but wouldnt reccomend it as a stable diet lol

Yes, it did - it worked like a charm! After a couple of totally pain- and symptom-free weeks I began, gradually and carefully, to re-introduce fats to my daily diet. Twenty years on and, touch wood, I have remained symptom-free.

Not surprisingly I wished at the time, ideally, to avoid surgery. Back then gallbladder removal resulted in a fairly large scar! I was also reluctant to lose my gallbladder and the filtering function it was designed to perform, merely because it had become infested with stones (LOL). My rationale was, if the olive oil and lemon juice don't work, I will have lost nothing, nor will I have been harmed in the process! But it worked perfectly for me.

Every few years I repeat the oil and juice treatment, just in case any new stones have formed.

as others have said, severe (in my case, crushing) chest pain which increased so that eventually it felt that my whole chest was involved. Surgeon said afterwards that the nerves in the chest are interlinked.... and that's why it feels like one solid huge pain.

Pain on right side below rib cage travelling through to shoulder blade all the time, sometimes worse than others.

In addition, lethargy, nausea .

Had gallbladder removed in October :)

Sukay, truly, I have never felt so ill in my life as I did when I developed gallbladder disease and then suffered jaundice. I was in so much pain I was crying and walking up and down, up and down, for hours at a time. Nothing eased that savage pain, not for even one minute.

When I saw my severely jaundiced reflection I was staggered. Deep yellow skin all over, and yellow-red eyes. What a state! Jaundice is a profound symptom of liver problems - in my case a gallstone blockage. My doc said afterwards that I was very lucky not to have suffered lasting liver damage. It was truly scary and since my younger son was still a baby at the time I was doubly terrified!

Frankly if totally cutting out fats had not 'worked' to vastly reduce that pain I, too, would have damn near danced into the operating theatre. I would not like to experience that pain a second time. Dreadful is not the word!

i'm still recovering from having mine removed :( they started with 3 keyholes then found it was stuck to my duodenum so have a lovely 9" scar as well as the 3 and then a drain hole . i was slightly jaundiced yellow skin and just tainted eyes but hopefully all will be ok once i've healed then can get back to work and re start my hopefully healthy life xx

I spent a week in hospital just before Christmas with a severe gall bladder infection and inflamation ( and the lovely jaundice). I had 6 days of three types of intravenous antibiotics. One of them they only usually give for two days as it's toxic in high doses. I had it for 6 days and they tested the levels every 2 days. Because my bile duct was blocked they wanted to do an endoscopy to clear it out and only realised that they couldn't when I queried what route they would take ( they then realised we RNYers have a cul-de-sac in there lol !). As I eventually responded to the antibiotics they decided not to remove it then. They like you to be well and free from infection if possible before they take the little blighter out. At this point they started to debate who should operate. I'm now waiting for an 'emergency' appointment' to see a GI surgeon.
In the meantime I've had several billiary colic attacks ( the pain without the infection), one being very severe. I've also had a chest infection and more antibiotics.
Thing is- I feel like ****. I don't get up till 10.00am, it takes me about an hour and a half to wash and dress. If we go out for a couple of hours I'm knackered. Sometimes I've had to spend the whole next day in bed. Do you think this is the gall bladder thing?
I'm back to work next week and have no idea how I'm going to cope
xx

I spent a week in hospital just before Christmas with a severe gall bladder infection and inflamation ( and the lovely jaundice). I had 6 days of three types of intravenous antibiotics. One of them they only usually give for two days as it's toxic in high doses. I had it for 6 days and they tested the levels every 2 days. Because my bile duct was blocked they wanted to do an endoscopy to clear it out and only realised that they couldn't when I queried what route they would take ( they then realised we RNYers have a cul-de-sac in there lol !). As I eventually responded to the antibiotics they decided not to remove it then. They like you to be well and free from infection if possible before they take the little blighter out. At this point they started to debate who should operate. I'm now waiting for an 'emergency' appointment' to see a GI surgeon.
In the meantime I've had several billiary colic attacks ( the pain without the infection), one being very severe. I've also had a chest infection and more antibiotics.
Thing is- I feel like ****. I don't get up till 10.00am, it takes me about an hour and a half to wash and dress. If we go out for a couple of hours I'm knackered. Sometimes I've had to spend the whole next day in bed. Do you think this is the gall bladder thing?
I'm back to work next week and have no idea how I'm going to cope
xx

In a word YES!! In my experience, and that of a good friend of mine, this is the "gallbladder thing". This is how is affected me too.

If you feel you cannot cope at work, please see your doctor...... if they are anything like mine, they will supply you with medical certificate to cover you for work. Also, if you discuss with Dr, it might be possible to get the surgery done more quickly, especially as your symptoms are so bad.

Take care :(

Thanks mate. Will go to docs on Monday . I don't feel such a hypochondriac having heard from you that I'm not the only one to be affected like this xx

hi nanny og, did you have your ultrasound? i got rushed to a&e in november, i was rolling about in agony, violently sick, couldnt keep nothing down, high temp, low oxygen. was in hosp 6 days. i had a 26mm stone trapped in neck of g.bladder and acute choleycistitis. such an awful pain and the sickness is not nice. xx

Got my ultrasound today and yes I got gallstones

awww no hope you get sorted out soon. xx

Awful things. I was rushed into hospital the same time when my youngest was recovering from a heart transplant. It was sheer agony. Got a infection after the op which was equally as bad but have been great since. No more heartburn either.

Glad you know what it is nanny. Are they going to take your GB out?
I'm waiting to have mine removed. It will be in the next 8-10 weeks.
I'm a bit worried that they might need to do an open procedure because my bypass was open.

I've just gone back to work today after mine , they had to do it open but the outside has healed ok but I can still feel muscles tearing inside whether it's because it's a diagonal scar I'm not sure but still sore 8 weeks later :( good luck I hope you get sorted out xxx

I've just gone back to work today after mine , they had to do it open but the outside has healed ok but I can still feel muscles tearing inside whether it's because it's a diagonal scar I'm not sure but still sore 8 weeks later :( good luck I hope you get sorted out xxx

Oh gawd-8 weeks! My sickness record is terrible again due to my back and gall bladder. 8 weeks would be a disaster. I hope mine is straight forward.
I also hope you haven't gone back to soon though, as it sounds like you are still not right ! Take care lovely xx

Back