• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gastric Balloon, do you know about it

naettjohnson

Hello there.

It's been a long time since I last visited.

I'm back because I need to know if any of you did the gastric balloon and if you are happy about it.

I have an appointment this coming thursday and will appreciate any feedback regarding the procedure.

thanks.

Hello!

I had my gastric balloon fitted 6 months ago and am having it removed on Thursday! I have lost 5st 8lb and have been very happy with this form of WLS. I have gone from a size 22 to a 10 top/12 bottom and am thrilled!

Any questions - feel free to post. I don't check the boards as often as I'd like but will keep my eyes peeled!

Kxxx

Hi nj,
Just been so busy not had chance to get on till now and you've probably had appt.
Not too many post on here about Ballon,not sure if its as publised as the Other wls but i am finding it great had a very nearly 2 decades of misery trying to lose 3-4 stones.
Lived my life enjoyed it but it was always there this dis-satifaction with myself,my body and the WHY cant i lose it tried every thing and i mean everything.I could lose a stone but back it came more than just food issues so food is off the agenda now its been nearly 2 months for me ( 29/11/08) lost another 2ibs today so exactally 28ibs.
First couple of wks were not easy,got lots of pre support and support all long the way.
Cant over eat due to discomfort afterwards nor do i want. Also have an deep aversion to certain things like fatty foods chesse,meats,choc and could'nt eat them at present even if i tried ( hope this is a forever Job)

I moved onto Module 2 today as i have another stone to lose and you move up the plan to extra foods and do booklets and wkly mtgs with National obesity Centre.

When i get to 10 stone i will evaluate, where i am going maybe loss another 1/2 stone if it suits me.
I am only small but at my age could look haggard in the face/neck but seems o.k so far.
If you want to p.m thats fine,would love to know how you went on and what was your impression. Eva

Hi,

I just wanted to share my experiences of having a gastric balloon fitted. I had my balloon fitted in September last year with the National Obesity Surgery Centre after much research online, including sites like this to see what people were saying about their experiences.

My reasons for choosing the NOSC were essentially for the support they provide whilst the balloon is in place and after the balloon has been removed, with a staged programme to change your eating behaviours for the long-term. This appealed to me as I have had issues with food since childhood and the fact that the programme with NOSC would resolve both my mental issues, whilst also tackling the physical issues by restricting my intake, I thought this was the solution for me.

Once I'd had the balloon fitted, and recovered from the sickness, I was sent the information for the first weightloss stage of the programme. But two or three weeks after that, the support dropped off. Without the weekly call to support me, I found the first few weeks difficult, and found it easy to slip into old ways, whilst also feeling bigger and bloated with the balloon in me.

The balloon also made me feel quite unwell and I had a constant burning in my stomach, egg breath and cramps. By December, after making contact with NOSC to advise them I hadn't had any support calls, I felt very despondent with the programme, and whilst not losing weight and feeling unwell, I decided this was not helping my state of mind. With the intense burning I'd had in my stomach, I was actually quite anxious that I'd developed an ulcer whilst it had been in place. It seems paranoid now, but my body just wasn't best pleased with having a large foreign object shoved in there! I had the balloon removed just before Christmas. It was quite an emotional event for me because I had hoped this would help get me on the right track again with my eating and it was such a disappointment - and relief - to finally get it out. For me this was a big mistake, which I am still paying the £5k it cost. It was a traumatic experience which I want to put behind me.

I hope this helps. I certainly don't want to sway your decision but I know that I brushed aside some of the posts I read on here just before I got my balloon. I thought it would be different for me, that it would work but for me it just made me feel bloated and unwell. It made me realise that although fatter than I would like I need to take care of my body and putting it through that certainly didn't feel like that was what I was doing.

Good luck with whatever you decide. x

Hiya
I have had the balloon in since 5th November 2008 and lost 25.5 lbs. The first few weeks are not good but im gradually getting there. The problem for me however is the balloon isnt dealing with the food issues in my head and to be honest I dont think any kind of surgery can. I dont regret my decsison to get it done tho.

I am on my second balloon. I had my first removed and second inserted last friday. In the first six months I lost 2 stone 2 pounds (30 lbs). This is not a magic solution and you still have to work at it, however, I have tried every diet known to man or woman kind and so far this is the best for me...even though very expensive!!! I am hoping to lose another 2 stone in the next six months. I choose a balloon instead of lap band because I did not want to have actual surgery.

Still pondering!

Hi, it's a good while since I first posted on here and I'm still thinking about whether to have a balloon fitted. :confused:
Twinlady, you lost so much weight!! Did you get support to help you? I've read some postings on here who say that they got very little support. I don't think I'd be able to do it unless I could talk to someone about it!
Where's the best place to go? I know you can go abroad, but who's the best to go with in England? I really need to do something soon!

Hiya all, just wanted to say that i had been looking at having the balloon fitted and was wanting to have the air balloon rather than have the saline. it only weighs 2oz so its very light and not as bad for the first couple of weeks getting use to it..however once i arrived at the wls group i decided it was not an option for me because once i had it taken out my weight would come back too so i went for the band which was a bit more pricey but well well worth it i have no complaints. Good luck on your journey's...Chezza.

I got lots of support from NOSC. On the odd occasion that they missed calling me for my weekly chat, I called them. If you register with NOSC, I personally feel that with the support that is made available, you also need to be pro active. I could not do it on my own and on occassion I would drive them mad! They all know me by name and the clinic's number is almost top of my speed dial list. You also need to remember that surgery of any type is not a quick fix. You still make the decisions about what goes in your mouth. I am now a size 10, I weigh 10st 8lb BUT..... I still have and will always have a weight problem. My body is no longer obese but my brain will always be obese. I will face this battle for the rest of my life and would have to do this at 16st 6lb or at my current weight - It's just easier from here.

Sorry to get on my soap box but that is how I feel about it and I hate when people assume that my weight problems are over.

Hope you are all well and forgive me for my rant!
Kxxx

Hi, I am due to have gastric balloon fitted next week at BMI hospital. I have PCOS and have always struggled with my weight and I have put extra weight on since the birth of my twins 3 yrs ago - too much clearing their plates and not eating proper meals myself. Twinladyuk, you are an inspiration and I hope I do as well ! x

Good luck chick, just read the above threads which I must of missed first time around there is a lot of good info in there...do come back and let us know how it goes...xx

Hi twinbex, im having the gastric balloon fitted next week too.Which type are you having the air or saline ballon? I know its not a quick fix but just hope i get plenty of support along the way as i know i will need it. Good Luck Karen Ann

Good luck Twinbex and Karen Ann

The first few days after the balloon was inserted for me were the worst,but after your tummy settles down and gets used to the foriegn body in there,i was fine.
Some advise tho,it doesnt suit everyone,i have read on the forum where people have had to have it removed,everyone is different.
I am really pleased with my results,it has been a big help for me to getting towards another attempt at the bypass.

Di
xx

Back