• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gastric balloon next week

mickymcd

Hiya folks due to get gastric balloon insertion next week up at Sunderland im allmost sure im gonna get sedated going on feedback on here and elsewhere.After ive had the procedure how long is it before i can drive back home? or am i better trying to get a lift back home?.:help2:
Also ive been informed i have to have balloon in for six month then i will have the gastric band op but what time gap is it between removal of balloon and gastric band op. Thanks.

Hiya , can't answer your questions as such , but I wish you all the best xx

Hiya folks due to get gastric balloon insertion next week up at Sunderland im allmost sure im gonna get sedated going on feedback on here and elsewhere.

Hi Micky, im Liz i run the wls support group up at Sunderland, we have a meeting tonight from 6pm if you would like to pop along please do so.

If you take the sedation rather than just the throat spray you wont be allowed to drive that day and you will need someone to take you home or go by hospital transport.
After ive had the procedure how long is it before i can drive back home? or am i better trying to get a lift back home?.:help2:
Also ive been informed i have to have balloon in for six month then i will have the gastric band op but what time gap is it between removal of balloon and gastric band op. Thanks.

I'm not sure of the time gap between balloon removals and band ops, im sure theres a gentleman attending tonight thats just had his removed a few days ago, if you add me on facebook i can put you in touch with him.

Liz x

Hi

Hi Mickymcd

I had the balloon a couple of years ago and here are some things for starters that might help.

You can only have the balloon for 6 months due to the stomach acid eroding the balloon.

From a personal point of view i found it better to have a local anesthetic to have the balloon inserted,which entails you lying on your side and a tube being inserted into your mouth and down into your stomach then saline is put into the balloon to
inflate it.
I was in hospital for 3 days but some people are out the same day depends on whether you are private and the pct area you live in.

You will be sick for the first few days,sorry but you will,i think its your bodies defences trying to get rid of the intruder as to say :(

The diet is the same as any WLS,fluids to start with ,then sloppy foods and finally crisp and crunchy.
You arent restricted in what you eat after you stomach has settled down,by which i mean you could still eat the wrong foods eg,chips,pizza and mac donalds :p(not adviseable),as the whole point of having the balloon is to help you loose weight,it is a really good learning tool to help you eat smaller meals.

I lost just over 3st in 6 months some people have lost more,some people have lost very little,everyone is different.
I had the balloon to help me loose weight as i had a failed bypass due to a fatty liver,and i didnt want to go through that again :(.

Hope this helps anything else you want to know, like i said please ask

Good Luck.

xx

Thanks for the info Di yeh itll be intresting for me to find how been unable to eat large amounts of food affects me.As i allways prefer big portions of food and like to see my plate cleared :eek:.The food intake and lack of mobility due to my leg problem seems to have taken a toll on me. A friend is going to take me just hope im not stuck in there too long suppose everybody different :sigh: .Your profile pic looks great by the way id say its took 10 years of yer :flirt2:

Ballooned up

Hi folks i had my balloon insertion on Thursday last week i was ok to return home on the Friday:).The surgeon and all the staff were great on the ward i was on couldnt recommend them highly enough.I stopped throwing up on Saturday being able to keep fluids down was a much welcomed bonus.For now i know things might change later on the weight loss road but i feel no hunger pans or external triggers for food ? .From someone who enjoys his plate filled up going to a few mouthfuls of porridge on a morning to half a bowl of soup then a bit of mash n gravy is sureal.As i progress on to my different food types over next weeks itll be intresting.Im feeling positive now that this balloon will give me a good kick start in what portion control should be and the gastric band will be good for me.

Hi MickyMcd

hope you don't mind but I'd be interested to hear how you are getting on with the balloon. have you settled down with it now and is it effectively restricting your food intake? How are you handling the emotional side of not being able to eat large meals? Do you still get head hunger or cravings - if so how are you dealing with these?

I've been told that I can't have bypass yet as the Psychologist doesn't think I'm ready (too many issues attached to overeating!). He's recommending a staged approach starting with the balloon, but as I can't find much about it other than how its undertaken (I've researched bypass back to front!) it would be helpful to have some input from someone whos had it done recently. I'm going through Sunderland too.

hiya, good luck with the balloon, i had one in last year, it was done at sunderland, it was around 10 weeks after it was taken out that i got my band fitted, im due for my first band fill next week. how are you finding the balloon? xx

hiya, good luck with the balloon, i had one in last year, it was done at sunderland, it was around 10 weeks after it was taken out that i got my band fitted, im due for my first band fill next week. how are you finding the balloon? xx

Hi Manda, how long did you wait for your balloon at Sunderland if you don't mind me asking? Was it effective?

sorry for late update :(

Ooops sorry for late reply :eek: i get probs sometimes when using this board i did ok on my balloon it was removed in Oct 2011 i lost 3 stone although ive regained pretty much that :sigh::break_diet: im not happy about that currently awaiting bypass i should be hearing something soon hope i dont get knocked back

Back