• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Newbie! Band or balloon?

pollyannepocket

Hello,
I've been struggling with my weight for the past 5 years.
I'm 28 next week, I'm 6 ft tall, and 18 st 4 lbs.

I had some nasty school girls call me a fat ***** in the high street the other day, and I'm fed up with having no energy and worry about other health risks.

I'm expecting a 5k payout soon (very lucky) and I've decided to get either a gastric band or a balloon.

What would everyone recommend for me?

I've tried various diets, and also the Orlistat pills which were given to me by my doc.

I've put on a stone every year for 5 years, and even though I have been hitting the gym 3 times a week for about a year I just can't shake off the weight!

Help!!!

hi the balloon is more a short term solution, personally id recommend a band, are you a savoury or a sweet food eater ?

welc.gif

Hi pollyannepocket,

I've tried various diets, and also the Orlistat pills which were given to me by my doc.

I've put on a stone every year for 5 years, and even though I have been hitting the gym 3 times a week for about a year I just can't shake off the weight!

Got a sweet tooth myself:sigh:

I was just wondering have you tried one of the vlcd's like Lipotrim, Cambridge Diet, Lighter Life, W8 etc.?

Love Mini xxx

welc.gif

Hi pollyannepocket,

Got a sweet tooth myself:sigh:

I was just wondering have you tried one of the vlcd's like Lipotrim, Cambridge Diet, Lighter Life, W8 etc.?

Love Mini xxx

Hi,
I've tried various diets, some have worked, but the weight usually just comes back on.
That's why I'm thinking banding... at least I'll have more control that way.

HI, sorry i'm a bypasser just wanted to welcome you to the site. The only advice i can give you is to do your research and see which one you feel would be best for you. Look forward to following your progress x

Hi,
I've tried various diets, some have worked, but the weight usually just comes back on.
That's why I'm thinking banding... at least I'll have more control that way.

It is difficult alright as I regained five stone myself having lost six and half originally.

But I decided to give a vlcd one more last attempt.

I think speaking for myself I was looking for a cure and I have finally accepted that I will always have to watch my weight and what I eat and then only little portions and avoid the high sugary carbs:)

I have not ruled out WLS but really want to give a vlcd another go.

Good luck on what ever you decide and I am sure others here is this forum will be able to give you some very good advice from their own experience.

Here is a link to help you make your way around.

Introductions - MiniMins.com - Weight Loss Support Forum

Love Mini xxx

Hi, welcome to Mini's :)

The balloon only stays in for 6 months, so it depends on how much weight you want to lose, whether it is reasonable to lose that amount in 6 months, and whether you think you will have the willpower to maintain the loss afterwards.

With the band, you also need to see it as a tool (Livvy is far better than me at explaining that principle - see the Lovebugs Lapband Diary) and you will need to have willpower to make it work, but if you can learn how to use it properly it is a much more long term solution.

The best thing is to research research and more research so that you know the ins and outs of every option which will then let you make an informed choice.

Thanks for your advice. I'm also thinking of getting a session or 2 of hynotherapy... think it might help me with the willpower and also the way I see food.

Hi and welcome to mini's

All the advice so far is pretty sound, do your research and see whats going to work for you, having the money to go private will certainly make things a lot easier for you, but you need to know in your mind that your willing to do whatever it takes to lose the weight as any procedure can be cheated, and as others have said the band or balloon are tools to help you lose the weight !

Rgds
Richard

Back