• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gastric balloon - question about diet

Twinbex

Hi,
I think I know the answer to this but i'll ask anyway !
I'm booked in for my balloon on 1st May and have just been invited to a surprise meal on the 2nd May - is it liquids only at this stage ?
many thanks x

Hi, I am pre op bander but did look into the balloon. I would say that you would be liquids but for how long etc I am not 100% sure as once I made my enquires I realised that a balloon was not for me.

Good Luck x

Hi Twinbex

Erm to be totally honest i think you will be still in hospital,i had my balloon fitted on weds and didnt come out of hospital until saturday,the normal admittance is for 2 days,maybe it depends if your paying private or not ,personally i was being sick for a couple of days and from what i gather so are most people.
The first liquids i had apart from water was slimfast and that was in hospital and i had to keep that down before they would let me out.

Hopefully i am wrong,i can only say how it was from a my personal experience.

Good Luck.Keep us posted.

Di

Thanks guys, I'm going to BMI at Coventry which is private and have been told I'll only be in for 2 hours !!
I didn't think i'd be eating anything but they want to know at restaurant - i'll have a glass of water then !!
x

THe Balloon is normally a day case. I am having Band and may have the choice of a day case as I live so close to the hospital. Mind you lettign DH look after the 2 kids for a night might be a good rest for me.

I was also told only a couple of hours for the balloon.

Hi,
I think I know the answer to this but i'll ask anyway !
I'm booked in for my balloon on 1st May and have just been invited to a surprise meal on the 2nd May - is it liquids only at this stage ?
many thanks x

To be perfectly honest I doubt you will be in a fit state to go anyway. I was only really recovered about 5 days after insertion. Be prepared for severe sickness for the 1st few days following insertion.

Hi
I am really surprised if they say you get out 2 hours later as i went in on Monday morning was first on the list at 8.00am for the insertion and got out on Wednesday at 6.00pm, and i was one of the better ones as most were really sick, the surgeon told me to buy travel sickness bands and wear them, which i did and was never sick, it did work but was probably all in my head, I was on water only for a week and could take a half cup of tea sometimes, then the following two weeks was on very small portions of mashed food, the diet sheets given to me was similar to the diet for gastric band/ bypass for the initial few weeks

Gail

soontobethinsue - I like your thinking, i have twin 3yr olds so a night away would be a welcome break !!!
we go on holiday on 4th May to Centerparcs so i'll stock up on all antisickness tablets.
I'm really annoyed because at initial consultation was told it would be done within 2 weeks which would have been end of March !! Don't really want to delay it till after hols though as starting Uni in Sep.

Back