• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gastric band in Belgium

mucklem

Hi has anyone been to Belgium to have a gastric band? I am going for a consulation tomorrow? It is nearly £2000 cheaper to get it done in Belgium.

Thanks x

Michelle

i know a couple of girls thats been done there, how will you go on with the aftercare side of things ?

Hi Michelle

I'm not a bander but although the prospect of getting your band op done abroad cheaper is a good thing, you need to consider what your aftercare will be. What if you have problems with slippage, port issues etc. Who will do your fills?

Sometimes paying more and ensuring your aftercare is good is worth staying over here for.

Good luck x

Thanks for your comments, the aftercare would be in Newcastle where I live and that would be for 3 years with unlimited band adjustment.

Thanks for your comments, the aftercare would be in Newcastle where I live and that would be for 3 years with unlimited band adjustment.

im not far from you in Boldon, wont your gp refere you to Sunderland to be banded on the nhs, im a nhs patient there x

Tried that unfortunately my GP said my bmi is not high enough my bmi is 37.7 however I have not weight related problems other than PCOS. She helpfully told me to go away, reduce my calories and exercise. What a shocker.

Tried that unfortunately my GP said my bmi is not high enough my bmi is 37.7 however I have not weight related problems other than PCOS. She helpfully told me to go away, reduce my calories and exercise. What a shocker.

Yeah the guide lines at Sunderland are a bmi of 40+ or 35-39 with co morbilities which just takes you out of there guidelines which is such a shame, if you have sleep apnia or high bp or anything along those lines then you would qualify for surgery, good luck anyway x

I also went to Belgium with the UK based company offering aftercare. The band was placed too high and the aftercare nurse failed to spot this. It cost me another £6000 to get it put right in the UK. All in all, I spent around £11000. It's not so expensive in the UK now. Do read the small print about aftercare. I friend of mine paid for 2 years but has to wait weeks to get an appointment.

I inquired about having a band done in Belgium, luckily my mum saw the news and it was the same surgeon i was going to see, there was problems with the aftercare with the surgeon not being in this country to do the fill etc.
I would make sure you check the surgeon out and ask your gp about the services they offer before i signed anything.
Good luck on your journey, would be interested to know how you get on.
I was most fortunate to have my surgery here in the end i had the bypass am now 5 weeks post op.

Hi Mucklem ,
I have been looking around just in case i do not get funding . I have found a few negtive things about going abroad so that has really put me off from that idea. I will just have to save a more.
Good luck Marie.:D

Back