• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gastric Band or Wrap

clare12345

I was dead set on a gastric band but after reading posts on this site I read about the wrap which I had not even heard of. I am now wondering if I should go for that. Did any of you guys who got the band think about changing to a wrap once you had read about it? What influenced you to stay with the band option. If I go for a wrap I will go abroad I thibnk, but if I go for a band I would want it done in the UK because of the aftercare.

I was dead set on a gastric band but after reading posts on this site I read about the wrap which I had not even heard of. I am now wondering if I should go for that. Did any of you guys who got the band think about changing to a wrap once you had read about it? What influenced you to stay with the band option. If I go for a wrap I will go abroad I thibnk, but if I go for a band I would want it done in the UK because of the aftercare.

I was originally offered a bypass but opted for a gastric band and its the best decision I ever made, I made the choice based on my eating habits alone. and almost a 9 stone loss, the results speak for themselves. Wishing you all the best in what ever decision you make - BlueDiamond x x x

I looked into WLS for 7 years. And although I researched every option, for me the band was the only way to go, this stayed the same even after having my consultation. I had it fitted in August - and yes, its not the easiest, it still takes a huge amount of work, focus and watching what you eat etc, but for me I love my band, the results it is giving me and how I have to work with it to achieve those results. :)

Simple answer from me - the wrap wasn't available back in 2009 when I had my band.

The only options were band or bypass. I knew I didn't want the bypass and the band was more suited to my eating habbits.

I have lost all the weight I wanted to lose, so have no reason to want to change.

Ultimately its up to you, talk it over with some proffessionals to help you make the decision. There are a few wrappers on here who will be happy to share their experience with you too x

I think it all depends on your eating habits and willpower one of the biggest mistake ppl make with a band is they think it does all the work for you,big mistake I'd say I do 70 percent the band does the other 30 I love love love my band and I'm 6 stone down from may so do they work yes but only if u work with them , wrap sleeve etc are fantastic from what I have been reading on here I don't think I've have seen a single story of anyone who doesn't think there great , I have been reading lately a few story's of ppl having band problems but there is a difference between a band going wrong slipping , port flipping etc and someone who doesn't stick to the rules, at the end of the day a band doesn't fail because ur not loosing weight it's the person attached too it , know that sounds harsh and sorry if I offend anyone all I'm trying to say is band failure isn't because ur band hasn't made u lose weight , I hope this has helped u and there are some long term banders on here with lots of info which I'm sure will be able to give u lots of advice , good luck on it WLS what ever u decide xxxx

After the reading lots of posts on here I am seriously considering the wrap as I have no foreign objects in my body. However, the only issue is that there are no long term reports on its effectiveness. If I go abroad I will do the wrap but if I do the band I will stay in the UK.

After the reading lots of posts on here I am seriously considering the wrap as I have no foreign objects in my body. However, the only issue is that there are no long term reports on its effectiveness. If I go abroad I will do the wrap but if I do the band I will stay in the UK.

You sound like me 6 months ago. Obviously I went for the wrap due to the reasons you had listed. However I was too scared to go abroad so found an amazing uk sugeon to do mine. Costs a lot more and I kicks myself for not having the guts to go abroad because I will be paying for this for a long time...but I do get fantastic support from the team and my peace of mind was worth the extra!
I do know NICE should have released their guidlines on this which may see the procedures become more well known and offered more in the uk.

Hi Sarahrob,

I only found one place in the UK (Manchester) that offered a wrap. I was quoted £7.5k and 5k is my limit really. I do think about paying more but the more stories I read on here about people going abroad it gives me confidence as 4 days ago, this would have been a definite no for me. I would not have a band abroad though.

How are you finding the wrap in terms of weight loss?

How long did it take you to get back to being normal with work, kids if you have any etc?

I think this thread is worth a look;

http://www.wlsurgery.com/general-su...ic-banding-bariatric-surgery-say-experts.html

And this;

http://all-about-lapband.com/problems/failure.html

And;

http://www.lapband.com/hcp/en/risk_information/

Having said that, a lot of banders on here have done very well, and i am NOT advocating wrap over band, as the wrap is still classed as 'clinically untested', ie its new, and early results are good, but its still in its infancy.

Both are 'just' a tool, and you have to work with them both.

Last edited:
That is a high percentage of bands being removed or something going wrong after a certain period. Even though I am swaying more towards a wrap - long term we don't know the results there.

I posted the following on the post Becky has posted the link to (the first one):

As a bander I'm used to seeing this type of 'debate'.

This research does not relate to UK patients. Also, even if this research was current ie the ten year study ended this year, things have changed over those ten years. Bands and their functioning components have been improved since the first was implanted in 1993.

The study states that of the banded patients re operated on:

3 - pouch dilation
4 - unsatisfactory weight loss

These cases would most likely of been the result of the patient 'cheating' the band - and themselves. Leaving 1 case of band migration and 1 of untreatable reflux.

The reasons for bypass re operations were stated as being potentialy life threatening and involved 6 patients.

I dont doubt that it could cost the NHS less to just bypass those who meet the (in some cases) rediculous criteria for funding but I do agree with yviec1972. Most bands here are fitted privately on patients with lower BMI's and no co morbidities and they do work.

It is indeed Clare!

Have you rung any providers to ask their opinions - its a tough one hey?!

The thing I would worry about with the wrap is that it is so new and what would happen if you had the op abroad and something went wrong back home?

Aftercare is very important with the band, you would need at least a two year package.

Have you considered the sleeve - just to throw another option into the mix ??!! xx

The sleeve scares me more. I have not spoke to anyone about the wrap. I have read lots on here. I would not get the band abroad as I worry about teh after care. I was hoping with a wrap, it is done if all goes well and I do not need to go back. I know that I will need follow up which looks like it is mainly through the phone or by email. Being a bit naive but assuming all went well with the wrap.

Wow thats a good price Dee!

I'ts such a personal decision - only we really know us, if that makes sense lol

Thanks Wannabe that explains it well an makes me feel a bit more comfortable about it. Think Im going to chance speaking to my Mum about it.xx

Clare I've also got a link to some research on success rates if you want it? It's not UK based research as its such a new procedure over here but I used it as part of my decision making. I also read all the available medical research (yawn) and quizzed my surgeon on his procedure and how many rows of stitches he did lol He told me I had been very thorough! My consultant also said that it may not be as effective for higher BMI patients (40 and over) but I went for it anyway and am really pleased so far - just over 3 stone since end August. The aftercare was a concern which is why like Sararob I chose to stay in the UK for my surgery - and the Spire Manchester team are great.

It's a big decision so take your time and ask lots of questions! Good luck x

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Back