• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gastric Band or Wrap

I did consider other procedures as my BMI was 51 at my first consultation, but the wrap was my tool of choice in the end for a number of reasons. No regrets :) x

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Good for you Gilly!! Is such a personal decision, isnt it!

The wrap was first performed 10 years ago by an Iranian doctor and my GP tells me it is very similar to a procedure done here to repair hiatus hernia. She thinks it is a brilliant idea. The sleeve has also been performed for many years to combat stomach cancer with good success. I was offered the sleeve in 2004 by a dr himpens a Belgian bariatic surgeon. Both the sleeve and the wrap have similar results I understand and once the operation is over they are complete other than the sleeve can be converted into a type of bypass I am told. These European surgeons do appear to be foremost in the field of bariatric surgery.

Hi everyone, I have just joined the site tonight, after seeing my gp today, and having been given a hospital appointment for the 30th of this month to start the process of gastric surgery. I have never heard of a gastric wrap, only a band, bypass or sleeve. I am hoping to learn so much more before the decision on which procedure i am to have. I look forward to reading everyones story and learning about the experience you are all having on your journey with weight loss. Jo x

Hi Jo and welcome!

Why not start a new thread in the introduce yourself section and tell us a bit more about yourself? more people will see it then xx

The wrap was first performed 10 years ago by an Iranian doctor and my GP tells me it is very similar to a procedure done here to repair hiatus hernia. She thinks it is a brilliant idea. The sleeve has also been performed for many years to combat stomach cancer with good success. I was offered the sleeve in 2004 by a dr himpens a Belgian bariatic surgeon. Both the sleeve and the wrap have similar results I understand and once the operation is over they are complete other than the sleeve can be converted into a type of bypass I am told. These European surgeons do appear to be foremost in the field of bariatric surgery.

Yes, the other procedure that the wrap developed from is a Nissen Fundoplication. And yes, European bariatrics seems to be ahead of the game, definately!

gillykat, can you send me that info you mentioned on the stats for the wrap?

Thank you

Here's the link
http://www.asir-journal.com/content/6/1/7

It's a bit heavy going, but there's a couple of useful tables in the appendix. I was interested in the weight loss/regain info as well as success rates by BMI as mine was higher than recommended by my surgeon.

I'm afraid I'm a bit of a geek when it comes to researching stuff ;)

Enjoy!

As far as I know they don't do the wrap on the Nhs yet.

As far as I know they don't do the wrap on the Nhs yet.

No that's correct they don't, as it's still classed as 'experimental' under the NICE guidelines. This may change in the future but I guess more surgeons need to start performing it in the UK and collect some stats before this happens as they will need a pretty good 'body of evidence'.

Back