• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gastric band worry

Bec

Hi I had a gastric band fitted nearly 10years ago it slipped just after the first year and nearly killed me but they repositioned it I have never had it filled to scared incase it slipped again! Anyway I came back from Spain on Tuesday after a week a way and I can't eat and I'm struggling to take fluid it's like my band has been tightened and won't let much through its just sitting on top and causing lots of acid and making me sick any help it advice would be greatly appreciated xxxx

Hi I had a gastric band fitted nearly 10years ago it slipped just after the first year and nearly killed me but they repositioned it I have never had it filled to scared incase it slipped again! Anyway I came back from Spain on Tuesday after a week a way and I can't eat and I'm struggling to take fluid it's like my band has been tightened and won't let much through its just sitting on top and causing lots of acid and making me sick any help it advice would be greatly appreciated xxxx

Did you fly?

And did you eat on the plane? If so it is possible that this has caused the issue (someone I know is having similar issues post flying) and the cabin pressure has caused swelling and tightening of the band.

Even though you don't have anything in there it can still tighten, she had to go back to clear fluids for a few days followed by liquids and then mash to allow the swelling to go down, but with guidance from her provider.

Yea I did fly and had a cheese and ham toastie whilst on plane but that's the last thing I have been able to eat and that was Tuesday lunchtime I'm managing little sips of fluids but the reflux is really bad not been able to lie in bed had to sit up all night ?. Thank you for the links I will have a look. I'm just trying some semalina but not going down very well x

bec, my friend I was talking about ate on her flight and because if the pressure in cabin it's caused bruising. Our provider (she is with the same one as me) advises liquids only during flying, they have told her that she has bruised inside. And so she is now on liquids for 3 days, then 3 days mash to allow the bruising and swelling to go down.

I would certainly give that a go but it's also possible that if the band was tightening anyway due to flying that something's stuck, but sounds just like my friend with the bruising.

I've just had my 9th fill which has taken me from having no restriction and no issues to experiencing reflux issues and not being able to eat and I am back on liquids to let the swelling go down some more

Thank you so much for your advice, I hope your reflux settles down soon. I was up all last night again with bad reflux making me cough and it burns I will go doctors tomorrow and get some omeprazole see if that helps x

Back