• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Help - gastric band problems.

Hi folks - hoping someone can give me some advice. I had my gastric band in Oct 09 in England (I live in Northern Irealnd). Since then have had prolems with either over-restriction or reflux. Came to a head in April when I was very sick and went to see nurse who only took 1 ml out of band - I wnted more out as was so weak but she said she was the expert. Ended up in hospital 10 days later and had to have all fluid removed - suffering from internal bleeding and swelling due to being so sick. Turned out that after ringing clinic to say I was in hospital they said I should have had all fluid taken out when I had the appointment previously - contradicting themselves. After getting out of hospital was ok for a week and since then (approx 4 weeks) I can't eat very much and can hardly keep any fluid down. Had appointment today and was told that band might have slipped and have to have barium swallow and perahps have band adjusted if it has or might have to have taken out. I am absolutely aghast at this. I paid £7,000 for the band - have lost 5 stone in total but sick of complications - any advice anyone? Feeling awful and don't know what to do???? Hopefully if get test asap can see surgeon who is over next Tuesday and see what they are going to do....Thanks for reading...:sigh:

Oh so sorry to hear of you problems.

Did you have your op done with hospital group by any chance?
I am due to have mine done with them soon . I am from the Belfast area too.

Will they fit a new band if it has to be removed?

I think the band is covered for 6mths after surgery

sorry to hear this has happened, ive had similar probs in the past with being to tight ect, your now going to have to have the barium swallow and they can only determine if its slipped by xray, if so they will decide whats the next best step either removal or just emptying it completley to see if it settles back into place, will this be covered in your after care package if its needing to be removed ?

Back