• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

gastric band?

Katie84

Hi, wondering if i can get some advice, i have made an appointment with my doctor this thursday to speak about my weight, i dont know what i can do i have done every diet out there and pills even tablets off the doctor that didnt work, my bmi is 40-41 and i am pilling on the weight even more due to tablets for my recently diagnosed bipolar.

I have looked in to gastric band but i just simply can not afford to do it private, does anyone know of the NHS guidelines to see if i am able to have it done on the nhs?

The only medical problems i have is high cholesterol at 5.9 and bipolar, i need something physical to stop me, as when i have my highs and lows with bipolar i dont remember half the stuff i have done including eating.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Rotherham: BMI over 50 or between 45-50 with severe comorbidities.

Guess there is no point asking my doctor? i thought there was a limit to the banding? a bmi of 45? or am i wrong? i have checked my bmi and its 42.7, what are servere comorbidities? would my mental health be classed as it?

It is worth seeing your doctor anyway, as the data on Bospa is from 2007 and might have changed. There is no set limit for any bariatric surgery, just guidelines which pct's choose whether to follow or not. Each PCT is different as you will have seen, and some are a lot harsher than others.

I doubt your bipolar would class as a co-morbidity, as there is no link between weight and bipolar disorder, with it being chemical imbalances etc. Your cholesterol at 5.9 while slightly raised wouldn't be classed medically as high either, and isn't a severe co-morbidity. Severe co-morbidities are things like type 2 diabetes, medicated hypertension etc. Illnesses that are either caused or made worse by being over weight and which can contribute to an early death.

Thanks, do i need to tell doctor about my familys medical history? everyone on my mums side of the family is diabetic, with high blood pressure and high cholesterol (mums is 8.8), dad side everyone is overweight and my uncle had a heart attack at 28, i remember mentioning surgery a while ago but he said i wasnt big enough, but i guess asking wont hurt. My medication i am on for my bipolar makes me gain weight:(

Hi kate i know how you feel i,ve tried every thing goin aswell i,ve even tried hypnotism n that didnt work, i went to my doctor lots of times over 2 n half years n then he finaly referred me in april i was so happy that i was finaly going ta get something dun. i also looked in to payin for the op but it is just so expensive. my bmi is 42, Keep on to ya doctor you.l get there it ya really push for it..but again it might go on the area your in and if theres funding..

Hi Katie, well your problems with Bipolar and weight are very familiar as I have a severe form of BP and a severe weight prob also the latter of which is being helped tremendously by the Band. Where I live, there is effectively no funding for WLS (Wales did 12 ops for the whole country last year) so I had to go private. HOWEVER, Neuroleptics and some mood stabilizers (mainly Lithium) are notorious for weight gain as is the mixed state and depression phases of Bipolar ( I rarely have a full-blown high anymore). As I was starting my WLS journey I did start with the Consultant at the Weight Man. clinic trying to get me NHS funding (virtually impossible as I said in Wales) and he said that with the right handling my BP could be the major comorbidity. My Psychiatrist wrote a letter in full support and my GP was in agreement - i was onto a loser because of the area I live in ( a poor woman with a BMI of 86 was turned down a few months ago despite going to WM clinic for a year) - but this could be good news for you. You need to collect all info re. BP and weight gain, get all yr team on board and go for it.

Please don't hesitate to PM me or ask Questions.

Jen x

my bmi was 43 when i was nhs banded, nice guidelines are 40+ or 35-39 with co morbilities.

Hey! I went to see my GP today as well and she wouldn't refer me because I'm only 24 even though my BMI is 49!! I think you should go as well prepared as possible so you know exactly where you stand. I think I'm going to do more research about criteria, etc and speak to my local PALS and then go back! Good Luck though lovely!!! xx

Katie there's no harm in asking your gp. If you've had the meds for slimming from your gp already then at least they know you've been trying. I'm also in Rotherham but I have co morbidities which helped me get my funding. Let the gp know about your families health history.Good luck with your journey to weight loss surgeryx

i rly think it depends on your gp's opinion and the pct. because im only 20 bmi 39 , and the only health issue i have is my fertility....the doctor suggested wls to me not the other way round!

good luck xxxx

JessMac that's disgusting! I would go straight back and ask if your GP is familiar with age discrimination. There is nothing in NICE guidelines or any PCT criteria to say that age is a factor at all. So long as you are over 18 you are eligible. Oohhh some GPs make my blood boil! E.P. is a different PCT than mine or I could have helped with the local criteria ;)

Shel (just down the road :p)

Back