• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gastric Band on NHS

mintball

Hi, I'm new to this. I have a BMI of 37.5 and live in Preston. My doctor has just written a letter to an obesity clinic in Chorley where apparantly you go to be assesed for referral for gastric band. I have looked at the NICE guidelines and i worry that the only medical problems I have are feeling very down and exhaustion and I worry this won't be enough.

Through my G.P. I have previously had rimonoband (Accomplia), Reductil, Orlistat (Urgh), Hypnotherapy and accupuncture. On my own I've done back Street Doctor tablets (tenuate Dospan), every weight loss club going, slim patches, hoodia and the rest!!!

Does anyone have any advice?

Many thanks
Lisa

if you dont fit into the nice guildlines you may have to fight for funding is your bmi enough with medical reasons? sorry not being much help but good luck

i think its 35-40 with medical reasons or over 40 without....i think

Mintball, I hope you get the answer you want.
I know exactly how you feel as I dont have high blood pressure, cholesterol, diabetes etc. I only have the exhaustion, feeling down low confidence to attribute to my reasoning for WLS. I also have a mother who does have diabetes, high cholesterol, so maybe that is worth looking into, as I'm sure (but ill stand corrected) that they do consider your family medical history.
I'm no expert nor have i gone through the process, I'm on the referral stage also. But I'm sure someone will be along that can give you a bit more insight.

Good luck in your journey:)

I'd never thought of the family history side of it. My mum and aunt have mega high blood pressure, my grandad was diabetic and my nan died of a stroke at 36! I suppose its worth writing all this down to take along. If nothing else, it shows I'm serious.

Thanks for that

Lisa x x x

i think its 35-40 with medical reasons or over 40 without....i think

that's right, those are the NICE guidelines.

Do you have any medical problems at all? I got through on the 35-40BMI because I have medical problems which aren't caused by obesity, but are worsened by it.

hi am new to this I live in Euxton and had to pay £7250 for my gastric band as my bmi is 34, I had the operation on Tuesday 30th Sep at bupa manchester and am recovering at home, dont feel sore but the trapped wind is driving me mad, also hate having to inject myself with the blood thinnning drugs, finding it wasy to eat 1/2 tin soup, half cup of coffee etc, when should i introduce pureed foods, am also eating yoghurts and mouse. so chat with someone who has been through it wouldbe great

Hi Nickers, welcome to Mini's :D I'm a bypasser but there are lots of banders on here, including some who've been through spire manchester so sure someone will be along to answer your questions soon. You might find you get a better response by starting a new thread :D

Cheers Shel, My problems caused by the weight are mainly stress induced like my psoriasis, a muscular problem in my jaw from clenching my teeth whilst sleeping. Mainly though its the sheer exhaustion i feel and waking up after an early night and feeling like i've not slept a wink. Also mega heavy legs when in bed which may sound daft but its so irritating it makes it hard to sleep. I also have panic attacks when i feel the weight is spiralling.

If this isn't enough to cope with on a daily basis, i'd like one of them to walk a day in my shoes

Lisa x x x

Hi Lisa do you have sleep apnea? If you wake feeling worse then when you went to bed you could have and that is a criteria for surgery. I dread going to bed because I dont sleep well at all. I am just waiting for my sleep test results to come back. Hope this helps...Linda x

i've heard of that and i don't think so cos i don't think i wake a lot in the night, i just don't get quality sleep. Most of the things that make my life crap are things i've just put up with for years and not necessarily spoken to a GP about so I worry that if somethings not on record, they'll think i'm saying it to qualify for surgery. But the reason i don't mention all these things at the docs is cos there are so many little things, its a vicious circle!

Lisa x x x

Lisa you may not be aware that you are waking up they will test you for it anyway but I would push. I know what you mean about life being crap you are so not alone there. This forum is really good for picking you up when you are down, research every where and ask any questions you like someone will have an answer....good luck and think postive (I know I have moaned in some of my posts but it has to be got out lol)....Linda x

I'm still getting used to the forum as I've never used one before but i've just had a scout around and found so much information from paople in similar situations, its fab. Nice to know you're all out there. Couldn't believe i even found someone else in Preston!!!!

What are Central Lancs PCT like in respect of fundind etc compared to others, cos I see the follow the Nice guidelines and no extra requirements

Lisa x x x

I have spoken to the woman that puts it all on the computor her name is Val she will try to put you off and say you dont meet the criteria etc etc. If you read my posts you will get the drift of what she is like. Easiest way to find my posts is click under my name where the fat ginger cat is and it will take you to all posts I have made there is some info in there of what I have been through so far. Yes its nice to find someone in Preston, there is another lady who has lost a load of weight on a diet I think she looks fantastic she is from preston and wanting the PCT to fund surgery on her boobs as she lost them all when she lost weight so thats three of us!!! We can do a meet up lol....Linda x

clicking on your stuff but keeps saying i don't have authorisation, I've probably done something wrong!!

Lisa x x x

Hi Lisa, welcome to Minis.

I had a band done privately in July - my BMI was 41.something when I had my consultation and in my area your BMI needs to be much higher than this to get sugery on the NHS. I was on anti-depressants at the time as well, with a 20 year history of compulsive overeating....if I am honest hun, I think you will have a fight on your hands to get it done on the NHS as your BMI is relatively low for this kind of procedure, but it does not mean that it is not something worth fighting for.
Lots of luck - have you seen your GP about it yet - this is the first step for you xx

Yeah, my GP has passed my details on to a clinic in Chorley. What gets me is that my BMI is 37.5 but to maintain that, I'm having Slim-fast for breakfast and lunch and going to the gym twice a week. If I stopped the gym and ate a normal breakfast and dinner then I know my BMI will shoot back up ( I used to be 23 stone, I'm now 17 and a half) but i'm not willing to let it go back up just to get the band cos i've worked so hard to get to this but i can't shift any more. I've wavered between 22 and 17 stone since i was 15 years old and haven't got the energy to do it any longer!!

I know how it feels. Been there, done that and got the T-shirt!!
Not being funny, but if you are just having slimfast and doing exercise you may not be eating enough and driving your body into starvation mode so it holds on to its fat.....
Good luck, hope you get what you want, but as you say, keep at it and don't let your motivation waver, you have done really well on your own!!

I'm eating tea too, I just mean i've replace brekkie and lunch with slim-fast and am still managing to over-eat!!!!!!

Oh, well bring on the fight. I've got a good support network with a fab family and now you guys

Lisa x x x

Lisa do you have any medical conditions? I have been reading so many threads just now I cannot remember. When I was little my mum used to say those that ask dont get, I used to say if I dont ask how do you know I want it, in other words if you dont ask you def wont get.....Linda x

Back