• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

gastric band

jaynel

hi, i have just come across this forum as i am trying to find out as much as i can about gastric bands. i have been to see a surgeon (mr super), but cannot make up my mind whether to go ahead or not. i have about 8st to lose (lost 8 with cambridge 3 years ago), but have put 6 back on. My worry is my eating habits - eating high .calorie foods, and then missing out on lunch and dinner because i feel guilty. obviously people have bad eating habits otherwise we wouldnt need this type of surgery and i just wondered how you all did it. I dont want to spend all this money on myself, only to find that i cannot cope. Any advice would be appreciated xx

First of all welcome!

Whichever option you chose you will have to change the way you eat. To make a band work you will need to eat to be eating three healthy (much smaller) meals a day. Skipping meals wont help with the weight loss.

A good band diet consists of protein, veg, fruit and then if you can manage, some healthy carbs.

If you think you have food issues, try and address them before you opt for surgery, they won't go away by themselves unfortunatly!

Good luck x

Welcome to the forum :)

What did mr super say? He did my op, and I am really pleased I opted to go for the band, as it suited me. As Mazza says though, the food issues don't necessarily disappear as the band appears. All weight loss surgery needs readjusting the way we are / eat / cope. Having said that if you are prepared to work at it and go in with open eyes, its a fantastic tool!

Throw us lots of questions and you will get lots of opinions / answers ... :rolleyes:

hi. think i stopped mr super in his tracks because i told him i didnt eat because i was hungry - i eat just because!!!. when i lost 8st with cambridge, i sailed through on 2 shakes and a small meal daily with no problem, but at the moment, if i see food, i eat it!!. my understanding of the band is that you only need a little food and you will feel full, so why am i also hearing that many people cheat (ice-cream, chocolate etc), why would someone need to do that if they are getting a full feeling after eating? i assume that everyone has food issues - so how do you overcome that after being banded. is it just sheer determination for most, whereas others are just weak willed? sorry for all the questions!!

Who knows why people cheat, don't get me wrong I'm no saint but sweet things aren't my thing either.

If you stick to eating whats in your post op eating plan, even when the band is empty you will be eating less. As your stomach shrinks and your band is filled you will eat even less and feel full - what you chose to eat though is down to you.

My food issue was volume, I had a healthy diet, just huge portions.

thank you for your replies. dont get me wrong, i do think the band would work for me, and had more or less decided on a date to have the op. Unfortunately i went to see my psychologist who i have been seeing for the last 12 months (NHS) and who has been trying to help me get to the bottom of my eating habits, and she told me that in her professional opinion, it would not work for me until i got my food issues sorted ( i lose weight one week, then put it back on the next). however, your stories on this forum are truly inspirational and obviously work for quite a few x

I'd do plenty of research on the sleeve and bypass as well. Look at all the things that can go wrong in all procedures.

There is a lot of faffing with the band until you get the right fill which I did from last November until last weekend. I've had an emergency defill tonight, heaven knows what my stomach is up to.

Be honest with your eating habits and take on your surgeon's recommendation. Possibly a good idea to see a couple of surgeons to get their advice or see if any private hospitals near you have information evenings.

Last weeks Secret Eaters was eye watering for me as a bandit. The opening scenes were of the guy eating white bread with a huge bowl of soup. He then went on to eat huge platefuls of pasta. Truly gobsmacked. He must have damaged his pouch in some way?

Back