• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

gastric band

ozzie

hello all,

just joined and wondered if someone could give me some info on gastric bands. I have been offered it in the past but declined,now feel Im in the place where I have to say yes.

I live in Cambridge. Does anyone know if the gastric band is normally removed once the traget weight is achieved? I have to take medication daily, has this proved a problem for anyone in the same boat?

I'd really appreciate any help anyone can give.

kind regards

Ozzie

Hi,

I Used to work for Nuffield Hospitals in the advice centre and used to give advice about Gastric Banding. There are many places you can have it done and if you are being offered this on the NHS you will need to have a look at what hospital options are given to you. If you are looking at going private then do your research as there area lot of places that offer it.... Nuffield, Spire the hospital group etc.

In my opinion (and Im not medicaly trained) the gastric band is brilliant. Its a good solution if you have battled to loose weight and have tried everything else. I know a friend who has had it done and it has worked wonders for her.

How it works is that they place a silicone band around the top part of your tummy it has a long tube attached to it tht has a valve at the end. This is left just under your rib cage.

The little tube around the band will slowley get filled up over a periods of weeks etc (this would be down to the consultant) until you have hit what they call your sweet spot. This is when you are loosing the right amount of weight at the right rate. you willbe restricted as to how much you can eat at any given time and some foods you will have to stay away from as the band makes it dificult to digest like celery - as its very stringy. Again you consultant will advise you on all of this. Once you have lost the weight it will be intirely up to you if you want to have it removed. Be aware that if you do it may cost you just as much to get it removed as to have it put in.

Most people keep it in. It can stay there indefinatley and is a good way of having a safety cusion should you need it. The whole thing about a gastric band is to learn to eat correctly. Its not an excuse to eat the wrong foods and definatley not to eat more often...

You still need to eat healthily and only 3 meals a day. The bonus is that you feel fuller for longer and cant eat as much in one siting as you used to.

Once you have lost the weight you candecide if you can control your eating and can have the band loosened slightly if you feel you are in control of your eating habits. There is a lot more to it though and each consultant will have there own info.

The best advice I can give you is to go for a consultation, you wont be forced to have it but it willgive you a good insight. Do not have it done in another country... as not many places will be happy wo continue the treatment here. Do your research with who you go with. Ask lots of questions at consultation. AND make sure you go with someone who offers a good after care plan. Some places dont tell you that after care is not included in the price so becareful. Places like the Nuffield however do. There after care plan is brilliant, they have support groups you anattend, dietician visits, band adjusments etc all included in the plan... i think its for up to 2 years! So theses are the things you will need to ask about.

Like I said im not medically trained but used to give advice about this... hope this helps in guiding you to what you need to ask and look out for.

Keep me posted... xoxox

hello all,

just joined and wondered if someone could give me some info on gastric bands. I have been offered it in the past but declined,now feel Im in the place where I have to say yes.

I live in Cambridge. Does anyone know if the gastric band is normally removed once the traget weight is achieved? I have to take medication daily, has this proved a problem for anyone in the same boat?

I'd really appreciate any help anyone can give.

kind regards

Ozzie

hi ozzie, im a bander of over 4 years, my band has been great and its helped me downsize my portions alot as i always ate a lot at meal times rather than being a grazer, grazing choc ice cream and crisps isnt good for banders as the band wont stop you eating these.

i also take daily medication and ive never had a problem with this since banding.

the band isnt removed once at target as the patient would usually regain all the weight lost back if removed.

any further questions please feel free to ask x

liz xxx

Back