• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gastric Band

chappers

I Guys, I am hopefully having a band fitted soon. I have my consultation on the 2nd November and I am hoping to have it gritted the beginning I'd December. Not looking forward to having a puréed Christmas dinner but hey oh, getting my health back is more important. I would be grateful for and advice and support as my family are not with me on this. X

sarahrob

It's a worry for your family, as the future risks from your weight are never as pressing as the immediate risks of an operation.
I am delighted I finally had mine fitted. It is early days for me but for me too, it's the best thing I've done.

You're certainly in the right place for support:)

Val

Committed Weight Loser
I Guys, I am hopefully having a band fitted soon. I have my consultation on the 2nd November and I am hoping to have it gritted the beginning I'd December. Not looking forward to having a puréed Christmas dinner but hey oh, getting my health back is more important. I would be grateful for and advice and support as my family are not with me on this. X

I had my band fitted 3 weeks ago its the best thing I have ever done..I needed to lose weight for my health..as we all do:rolleyes:
So best foot forward, you wont regret it!!!!

chappers

Thank you everyone and sincere apologies for appalling typos! It is a combination of poor eyesight and sausage fingers! I've just had an awful spat with my husband over this. He is not at all supportive. He's convinced that I will die! He's heard horror stories from acquaintances which I believe have had bypass surgery. A totally different procedure but he won't listen :-( I'll be glad when I'm three months in and he can see that I'm fine (hopefully!) I'm so excited and he's made me feel almost ashamed of it. Help! X

slaz

Try to get your husband involved in this forum so that he can hopefully get a more balanced view on both sides of the for and againsts.
I was 64 when I had my band fitted in March and wish I had acted sooner but I guess better late than never, including the pre op diet I have lost over 6 stones and feel and look a lot healthier.
I have absolute support from my wife which has definitely made it easier for me so hopefully your husband will come round and help you.
Welcome to the forum and good luck.

Crystalrainbow

I took my hubby to all my appointments and group sessions so he could have all the info i had, and can honestly say hes just as keen as i am to get on with it :)
I think he now knows that surgery is my only option and without it life is going to continue to be limited and shorter than it could be. Now whenever we chat diet or weight hes always the first to say 'when you've had your op'

I also know that my x would have never had let me go thru surgery just being on a diet made him an insecure monster.

It is worrying to hear the horror stories but being here make you realize there are far far more successes than failures.
I'm sure once he can see the benefits of surgery he will be more than happy to support you x x x
all the best of luck oh and hi too welcome

Banderbird

Maybe your husband is worried about how weight loss will change you, and that you'll run off with someone else! I might be totally wrong, but some guys are quite insecure.

He obviously needs a lot of reassurance anyway, so I hope he comes round.

You are doing this for YOU, and it will be fantastic for your health and confidence.

chappers

Thank you so much guys. It's funny you say about the insecurities. Three years ago I lost five and half stone on the milk shake diet (in fourteen weeks!) and because it was such a quick loss, I was getting so much attention from everyone, he hated it. He was quite mean to me at times and even said that I'd changed " and not for the better!" But I think it was because I was more confident but of course, I've put four stone back on again :-( losing it was easy, it's keeping it off that is my problem.

The other issue is, I've funded it without him. The fact that he can't control it is driving him nuts! I make him sound like a right Arse, but he's not really. I know his worry about the procedure is genuine. I had cancer fifteen years ago and at the time I was given eighteen months to live. Long story, all past, but I survived. I'm clear and was very lucky. He can't see why I would willingly put myself under the knife again, even though this surgery (in my honest opinion) will save my life as much as my other surgery did.

Sorry for the essay, but in the dire lack of family and friends that I can confide in, your collective ears and shoulders are a tremendous comfort to me and I am genuinely grateful for your comments. XXX

Welcome,
My hubby was terrified and a little stand offish about the op! He thought it was stupid as he said i eat very little (which is a laugh) hes a big eater and i love cooking so he enjoys his food. I think a little of his problem was that he thought he wouldnt get fed!

He also was concerned as were both big and hes scared ill be all skinny and run off with a new bloke. Hes my world I wouldnt be without him no matter what. Also as it wasnt his idea and he didnt pay (my mom did) He likes a little control. It was a mixture of lots of reasosns and your hubby will come round mine did. He didnt come to my initial appointment and didnt help me research etc.

Then on op day he wanted to be there he has his own business and was a big thing leaving it for the day but he did. I wanted my sister with me as she had been with me every step of the way but he wanted to be there. He cried his eyes out as i left the room to go to theatre and said "make sure you come back to me" He kept telling Mr Super and the team please look after her. Please make sure shes ok. I was and its amazing.

Since then hes been wonderful he looked after me for the first few days, tells me to slow down chewing. Hes been taking weekly photos and been fab. He ate sloppys when thats what I had. On the other side Ive sat and watched him eat a KFC. We have supported each other.

This will be the best thing you have ever done. Go for it you will be fine im glad I did. They are used to operating on us larger people and will look after you well. Nothing will happen
Good luck

chappers

Well. After my consultation on Saturday I've decided to go ahead with a band. I'm waiting for my call but I think it will be done at the end of November. I'm a bit anxious about the procedure but excited too as I think it will give me a fresh start for the new year. Fingers crossed!

Banderbird

Woo hoo! I'm glad you've decided what to do, and all the best with the pre-op diet!

I know how you're feeling, I was apprehensive too, but I have no regrets.

New year, new you x

chappers

Thanks Banderbird. I'm feeling more confident every day. I've even had a bit of a spring in my step today! Lol. X

top_kat

I'm glad that you've decided to go forward with it - those feelings you have are oh so normal, its a big step, but one that is the first one to such a changing life :)

chappers

I've got my date!!!! Eeek! 3rd December, the day after my birthday! What a gift too. I have such a gamut of emotions at the moment I don't know what to say. X

chappers

Yes, I'm to start on the 17th. They are sending me an information pack and the dietitian is going to call me on Tuesday to run through my options. I think I'll probably do the milk diet as I'm always more successful when food is taken out of the equation. It's keeping it off that's my problem! X

chappers

...and a bit scary! Hubby is out and doesn't know yet! Well, I've paid £1000 so far so there's no backing out now!!! X