• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gastric Banding and Sharon Osbourne.

Mini

Administrator
Staff member
Tonight on the Parkinson show Sharon Osbourne was talking about her weight loss battle and how she comfort ate her way to 230lbs.

She was very funny when she then was talking about her body and that it needed so much lifting that Ozzy said to her that she now farts out the back of her neck!!!l LOL

It took her over the year to lose her weight with gastric banding that is where they put a band around your stomach and it makes it smaller.

She said what they don't tell you is that you can eat this small stomach bigger and she now says she could fit one of the floor cameras into hers!!!

So she has decided to get it removed and is having the operation at Christmas and is going to go to a therapist about her comfort eating.

When she was talking to Lisa Minnelli who was also there on the show, she said to Lisa losing weight was the easy part keeping it off is what is hard and that is the crux of the problem.

Also, she has a dog and it is called Mini:rolleyes:

Gastric Banding.

• Adjustable gastric banding. The surgeon uses an inflatable band to partition the stomach into two parts. He or she then wraps the
  • band around the upper part of your stomach and pulls it tight, like a
  • belt, creating a tiny channel between the two pouches. The band keeps the opening from expanding and is designed to stay in place indefinitely. But it can be adjusted or surgically removed if necessary. Most surgeons perform this operation using a laparoscope.
  • Vertical banded gastroplasty. This operation divides the stomach into two parts — limiting space for food and forcing you to eat less. There is no bypass. Using a surgical stapler, the surgeon divides your stomach into upper and lower sections. The upper pouch is small and empties into the lower pouch — the rest of your stomach. Partly because it doesn't lead to adequate long-term weight loss, surgeons use it less commonly than gastric bypass.
  • Biliopancreatic diversion. In this procedure, a portion of your stomach is removed. The remaining pouch is connected directly to your small intestine, but completely bypasses your duodenum and jejunum where most nutrient absorption takes place. This weight-loss surgery offers sustained weight loss, but it presents a greater risk of malnutrition and vitamin deficiencies and requires close monitoring.
Looking ahead

Surgery for weight reduction isn't a miracle procedure. It doesn't guarantee that you'll lose all of your excess weight or that you'll keep it off long term. Weight-loss success after gastric bypass surgery depends on your commitment to making lifelong changes in your eating and exercise habits. But the feeling of accomplishment as you lose weight and your improved health are significant benefits and are well worth your effort.
clear.gif

Gastric bypass: Is this weight-loss surgery for you? - MayoClinic.com

Thanks mini for covering this!
I find her really funny, and absolutely love Ozzy, but didn't know she'd had this done. I knew about the cosmetic stuff though.

Just shows it doesn't work perfectly for everyone.. i'd be nervous in her position getting it taken out though!
Hope she has sucess with the counselling. :)

Thanks Mini,

Great to have this summary as I started watching the show in bed and then kept drifting off to be woken by the credits.

I new about her gastric band but not that she is taking it out. Interested to hear that.

Dizzy

Hi,
There was a long article in The Mail yesterday (Sat 30/10) by Ann Diamond about her gastric band which she had done in Belgium before she went on the infamous TV show. She says it was not done properly and hence wasn't working at the time of the show. She's subsequently had it re-done in the UK and has lost 4 stone. She warns people off going to Belgium (or anywhere abroad) for this op. Interesting.
SM

I knew the Ann Diamond article was going to be done as I'm a member of her forum 'Fat Happens'. It's useful for me to have an insight into a different approach to weight loss - I even considered gastric banding just before I started CD. I'd priced up the op in Belgium (!!) and was starting to work out the finances when I stumbled across Mike's (Icemoose's) blog.

I have to say that visiting Ann's site and reading what the 'bandster' have to say I'm GLAD, GLAD, GLAD I didn't go down that route. It seems like a lot of pain, grief, frustration and expense for results that CD can beat hands down.

I know it's 'horses for courses' but I also know, hand on heart, that weight loss surgery was not for me. Thank God I found CD before I yielded to the surgeon's knife!

Sharon has also said on tv that the band didnt stop her food issues and she still ate a lot and she carried on throwng up after, im glad she is having it taken out and getting some proper counselling about her food problems,
I to was starting to look at gastric banding until i read mikes blog, im so glad i didnt g down that route,

I was considering getting a gastric band and looked into it.

I researched various providers and called a very lovely lady who spent a good 30 minutes on the telephone talking to me about it.

She suggested that before I consider it I might want to think about getting some counselling for the reasons behind my bulimia.

At the same time I was regularly posting to a weight loss surgery forum and reading people's WLS diaries. During this time, a poster spoke about Lighter Life.

I looked into it and realised that it combines an element of counselling with weightloss.

I have my first LL meeting next Tuesday night.

I'm hoping that I will succeed at this as I'd rather not have surgery if possible. :)

I was considering getting a gastric band and looked into it.

I researched various providers and called a very lovely lady who spent a good 30 minutes on the telephone talking to me about it.

She suggested that before I consider it I might want to think about getting some counselling for the reasons behind my bulimia.

At the same time I was regularly posting to a weight loss surgery forum and reading people's WLS diaries. During this time, a poster spoke about Lighter Life.

I looked into it and realised that it combines an element of counselling with weightloss.

I have my first LL meeting next Tuesday night.

I'm hoping that I will succeed at this as I'd rather not have surgery if possible. :)

Hi,

None of the surgery really works unless you get your head right as I have read one woman use to liquidize chocolate in order to get her carb fix.

I think if your emotional eater then you have to find new ways of coping with stress and making healthy choices about what we eat.

I do feel since I started out on my weight loss journey that I have changed and I have also dumped a load of baggage along the way.

It is about claiming your own life and the way you want to live it...it is a process and at times very emotional...sometimes it is two steps forward and one step back.

One of the things now is that I just feel so much better overall and I seem to be able to cope much better and while it is not all perfect it is a 100% better than this time last year before I started out and I was feeling overwhelmed by the amount of weight I wanted to lose...now I know it is possible and there is hope.

Love Mini xxx

Hi,

It is about claiming your own life and the way you want to live it...it is a process and at times very emotional...sometimes it is two steps forward and one step back.

One of the things now is that I just feel so much better overall and I seem to be able to cope much better and while it is not all perfect it is a 100% better than this time last year before I started out and I was feeling overwhelmed by the amount of weight I wanted to lose...now I know it is possible and there is hope.

Love Mini xxx

That is exactly how I feel.
I don't think any of us will not hungrily grab any article of some new get thin fast n easy method. But now i sit back and think about the last 12 months and the changes I've made. Yes I get annoyed that I haven't got to goal but as Mini says it is sometimes, for some of us, one step forward and 2 back. The overall march is forward and we have to look at the big picture and the lessons we are learning on the way. I, for one, feel like I have undertaken a mega self counselling programme and although still fragile I'm getting there!:)

Hi Jazzy,

The March is forward and I do think it is a mega self counselling programme ...

Bigbluefurrymonster said something to me today about her weight loss journey and I felt it was very profound...

"I then knew I would need to really consider how my life would change as a result of doing the diet and how I would no longer be able to indulge in my addiction"

We will wear out them boots marching but we will get there Jazzy:D

Love Mini xxx

I have a gastric band - albeit one thats completely empty at the moment - can't afford to have it removed.

I was really concerned about the article in the Mail - Anne Diamond is still on the high part of her journey where the discomfort and aggro of the band is worth it. From my experience (and apparently Sharon Osbournes) it does get to a point where its not worth it.

Just for info - i had mine done in France - by one of the pioneering surgeons of gastric banding and know of hundreds of people who have used surgeons in France and Belgium with no problem. The only thing to be sure of is that you have back up here for the adjustments etc.

I agree that it doesn't teach you anything about your relationship with food and you are still eating as much as you can but if you are desparate (as I was) and can see no other way it is an answer to getting the fat off - but its not a "cure" just deals with the physical.

WLS is such a personal journey.

It works for some and it doesn't work for others.

One thing I will say is this, if you head is not in the right space when you get it done, thats when it can fail.

I am a sweet tooth person, I am also a binge eater. What the band had done for me is physically make me think about the quantity I ate before I had this done. Which in hindsight was obscene quantities.

I have reasonable restriction right now and the weight is shifting again. But it's christmas coming up soon and I am blowed if at 9 weeks out I am going to worry about the odd few pounds creeping on, not from the quantity I will eat but from what I am going to eat.

I know that I have made much wiser choices this christmas than anytime before. I have lowfat everything and I know my limits.

I will also go for a walk after my lunch as I have done every year.

2009 is my year...that is where I will be healthier, hopefully much lighter and I know because of this happier.

Also my driving force and motivation is my wedding in September.

See my head is where it should be.

Hi,Caz
You speak lots of common sense on food and as we with life long problems know its not about hunger, fullness :its tied up with every aspect of my life past ,previous experiences,current situations,coping devises, obvilion ,denial,complusions and food addictions which are all so complex and have to be dealt with to stay a healthy weight.
A long process, as well as the most important thing i read CHOICES
Thanks a lot Ava

I'm not a bander, I'm on my second bypass surgery but wanted to add something to this as a 'general' weight loss surgery experience.

As I've mentioned in other posts I'm 4 weeks post my second bypass surgery and the two experiences could n't be more different.

I'm not going to talk about my first experience as it would just be a repetition of many other posts I've made regarding it but I will comment on my most recent wls.

People are talking about the wls and how they don't address your issues with food mentally but controls the portion sizes ect. I have come to believe over the last few weeks that my surgeon must have worked on my brain aswell as my stomach as I'm in a place where I have never ever been.

I'm never hungry, I don't think about food 24/7 (previous to my surgery I'd even wake up in the night to eat), I'm not tempted at all to eat things that are bad for me. I'm completely focused and in tune with my stomach. Maybe I've even become to other people a bit obsessive. I don't even lick my fingers if I get chocolate or jam on them when I feed the baby. When I'm drinking water I know I won't take more than 5 mouthfuls at a time incase its too much. I'll have a slimfast shake and take 3 hours to drink it and so on.

What I'm trying to say is that wls can change how we relate to food and some of the demons we have. I myself am totaly suprised about how things have changed with me and would n't like to let people think that wls can never change our relationship with food as it has for me.

When I was reading the first post I was thinking isn't Parky on on a Sat night? Then saw the date on second post lol.

I know the gbp will be better for me than banding as I would just cheat. In saying that I am wondering would a food addict such as myself find ways round the gbp too? :eek:

When I was reading the first post I was thinking isn't Parky on on a Sat night? Then saw the date on second post lol.

I know the gbp will be better for me than banding as I would just cheat. In saying that I am wondering would a food addict such as myself find ways round the gbp too? :eek:

you can find ways around both procedures. i think its all personal choice and working with what we have:). if we want to lose weight we will work with our chosen method but bad habits can creep in

you can find ways around both procedures. i think its all personal choice and working with what we have:). if we want to lose weight we will work with our chosen method but bad habits can creep in

i think your right someone i was in hospital withwas having a second bypass due to having stretched her pouch it happens with both ops i dont look at having something i shouldnt as cheating i think this is life changing and part of that is learning to have a little of something rather than alot to me cheating s having something you shouldnt the band is helping me learn to eat normally and healthly

Back