• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Fill question

Cariadtoffee

One day at a time...xx
hi all!

i'm having a fill later today with a new provider. She is an independent 'filler' called Jane Wilkinson - does anyone know of her?

Anyway, when i was speaking to her she said that she would rather not draw the existing saline out to check how much is in there as it can cause such irritation to the stomach wall and cause swelling when putting back in the same amount plus an extra 2 or 3 ml.

Because my last fill was July 2010 I would have thought it would be needed to know how much is actually in there before adding any?

She said she will do it if i want her to but in her experience it's not necessary.

what do you guys think?

xx

I don't know sweetie, if you feel more comfortable with her emptying it first , then I think ask her to do so.
After all, you are a new client to her and you are paying for the service.
It is up to you how you want to do this because it's important to feel at ease and comfortable with the fill and have confidence in the person providing it.

Hi

To be honest I have only had my band completely emptied on 2 occasions but that was purely to check for aspiration after undergoing surgery. My provider usually would do this routinely once a year. It can be uncomfortable, the first time for me was worse as there was a lot of pressure present.

I agree with Neen though if you want it done then ask.

Good luck! I haven't heard of her before but I know some of my bander friends on FB use a mobile person - so could be her x x

Last edited:
Everytime I have a fill/aspiration with The Hospital Group they take the whole lot out to see how much is in there, although last time it confused me because the was a whole mil difference, two different nurses did it - so one of the nurses can't count!

thanks guys.

ok, i'll probably leave it in then if it's not always done.
I was with the hospital group too, wildthing, and they always took it all out which is why i was confused. But then it was always super tight afterwards which i'd like to avoid.
If it will give a more 'real' sensation of what the restriction will be sooner than if i have to wait for swelling to subside I think I'll let her just add to it.
I had a bad experience once where it was overfilled by just .25ml and couldn't even swallow my own saliva....
not v nice.

thanks for your help. Love you guys! xx

I have had mine taken out only on 2 occasions the same as Maz - I had another fill Monday and she didnt take any out - Not that I minded anyhow - All the best xx

Yes I'm always swollen and really restricted when they do a fill cos they take it all out, takes me about a week to get off liquids and sloppies after a fill

Well, have had the fill. Have 10ml band and 4.5ml in (although we didn't check this).
Initially had 2.5ml added but couldn't swallow water so she got me to stand up while she aspirated so I could feel when the water was released.

Seemed to work quite well though but it ended up with only 1ml added. Not sure it's gonna be enough as my sweet spot prior to my baby was 7.5ish and this is only 5.5.

Is it true your sweet spot can change?

Just had some soup which went down fine. Should it have felt tight do you think?

Sorry, lots of questions... Just so wanted it to be spot on. I can't afford another fill for a long time. Xx

Sent from my iPad using WLSurgery

I hope it works out for you hun xxx
Sweet spot must change I think, I had a pretty full band up to this time last year and it was fine, then got really tight over a couple weeks to the point that I had to go get a defill of a half mill.
I think it's something that will need fine tuning so rather than have that set number in our heads, we just need to see how it feels when we get to it.

Soup is liquidy so I guess it would go down OK.
See how it goes anyway. It should make enough difference that it will help you follow a diet plan xxx

I have always had fills where they take the whole lot out and put the saline and more back in. This is how we discovered my leaks the nurse or surgeon who is doing the fills i feel need to know exactly how much is in there each time i know for a while i was up to 11.5 then next time and a few subsequent times it went down to between 5 and 6 mls hence a leek! just be careful that she doesnt only fill you slightly each time so you come back for more and more hense costing you more money!! xx

I am glad you posted this because I always assumed that they always took out what was in before filling. I had my second fill on Friday and things feel totally different to the first fill. I have been worried actually because I am really feeling the restriction. I put it down to perhaps some swelling but it is not wearing off. Perhaps it will take a little longer for the swelling to subside? You learn something new every day.

tranquil x

Hmmm...tranquil. Sounds like it might be a bit too tight? They say it normally takes 3 days for swelling to subside.
hope It eases off for you Hun. Xx

Sent from my iPad using WLSurgery

Back