• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gastric by-pass>?

sassypantz

Hello i'm new to the site and would love some advice;)

im 19stone and 5ft2 my weight has got so out of control, i have tryed loads of diets and i just can't stick to any as i am a comfort eater:sigh: i have made app to see my doctor i am going to ask about getting the by-pass on the nhs. i know this must be hard to get on the nhs so any advice on what i should say to my doctor? or has any one els had it on the nhs?

any help would be great as i am really losing my will to get up and get dressed every morning i am so at the end of my teather with myself:cry:

hi sassy,

just be honest hun and tell your doc like it is. we all know how miserable being big can be and sometimes you just have to take the bull by the horns so to speak and go for it.
you will find loads of help and support here for when you need it.
welcome and good luck:)

hi sassy glad to have u on board, well i went private 4 my bypass as dr said i had to wait at least 6 years 4a bypass on nhs, but some have had it done really quick so just go to ur gp and ask, im 5ft 2 and i was 25stone i had my bypass nearly 1 year ago now and ive lost nearly 8 stone so far but well worth it if u ask me, even at my biggest i had no trouble getting around and led a normal active life which is strange, but no matter how many diets and pills and potions i used nothing worked so 4me bypass was the only option so my advice to u is GET DOWN THE DRS and ask---beg even lol just make sure they take u seriously ok, tell them how u feel day in day out ok best of luck keep us posted ok lv georgina xxx

A friend of mine had one privately early last year and her only regret is not having done it sooner. She has lost loads of weight and is down to a size 14 for the first time in years.

I did consider it but didn't fancy the operation.

Just tell your GP how you feel and keep your fingers crossed.

Good luck.

Hi Sassy
Go for it! Be honest with your Dr and tell her how much it is affecting your life and that you have tried every diet going etc etc. Also take a look at the NICE guidelines for the criteria and quote some of that?

Any questions just shout hun
2002/041 NICE issues guidance on surgery for morbid obesity

Nic xxx

Dear Sassy,
I'm sorry to hear that you are going through some emotional anguish at the moment. We've all been there so you'll get lots of empathy here.
Having any weight loss surgery on the NHS is a bit of a lottery. If you are surgically a good candidate, you may still have to battle against your areas PCT (primary care trust). I live on the south coast and was lucky enough to get a gastric bypass on the NHS approx. 8 -10 months after asking about it at my Dr's surgery. Your first port of call is to talk honestly to your GP. If you are suffering with any weight related health probs or depression, you may be lucky enough to be referred quickly. Your doc may choose to offer you other weight loss methods first. Don't take this badly. Not only do they have the costs to consider, but it is an extremely drastic thing to do and he/she may wish to see how committed you are to trying other things first. Stick with it, if you can, choose to see a GP who may be sympathetic (we all have those at our surgery that you would only see as a last resort, if your leg is hanging off-avoid them!!) and keep plugging away.
Please let us know what happens & how you get on.
All the best!!
Lou.

hiya girls thank you for all your replys

i have a doctors app for next thursday so i will let youns know how i get on,

i feel so big at the min i have been over weight since my first daughter was born but i am now at my biggest, even in this last month my jeans have got tight and i'm not eating any diff i am eating less my dh eats more than me lol and he's only 11stone (not fair)

wel i'm of shoping now have to get an out fit for my little girls holly communion next week so no doubt i will be crying by the time i get home because i can't get any thing nice to wear. i know there is some lovely cloths in big size's but i'm so short that they do nothing for me and make me look even bigger:cry::cry::cry::cry:

thanks again girls it's lovely to hear from all of you, and get some addvice ;)

SASSY xoxoxoxxo

Good luck Sassy - hope you found something just fabulous to wear :) and good luck with the doctors appointment as well - don't forget to let us all know how you get on x

:)hiya sassy, im in the exact same situation as you hunny,am constantly in pain,and have tried every diet going. i have battle with my weight all my life. i did manage to loose 6 stone once but put it all back on and more.
i too am only 5'3'' and weigh more than you, i went to my doctors week before easter only approx 7-8 weeks ago, and asked about the gastric band, was refered ,got an appointment 4 weeks later (bypass recommended due to large weight loss) was told i'd be in for surgery the next month(omg sooo quick) so i have my bypass 6th june.and its in a private hospital although nhs are paying for it :).
so get down to your doctors as soon as you can , i wish id gone sooner. take care and keep in touch, michelle7272.:party0011:

:)hiya sassy, im in the exact same situation as you hunny,am constantly in pain,and have tried every diet going. i have battle with my weight all my life. i did manage to loose 6 stone once but put it all back on and more.
i too am only 5'3'' and weigh more than you, i went to my doctors week before easter only approx 7-8 weeks ago, and asked about the gastric band, was refered ,got an appointment 4 weeks later (bypass recommended due to large weight loss) was told i'd be in for surgery the next month(omg sooo quick) so i have my bypass 6th june.and its in a private hospital although nhs are paying for it :).
so get down to your doctors as soon as you can , i wish id gone sooner. take care and keep in touch, michelle7272.:party0011:

hiya michelle where in the uk are you from? omg thats quick:jelous: i hope mines is as quick. my doctors app is at 4pm 2morro i couldn't go last thursday because my daughter was in hospital im feeling very nervous now i really hope that my doctors takes me on i really need this as im at my wits end and to be honest im eatting more than i ever have its like a flipping roundabout.

thanks for all the other replys girls sorry i dont get on here much to reply.;)

LOVE SASSY XOX

Hiya Sassy

How did you get on at the Dr's? xx

hiya michelle where in the uk are you from? omg thats quick:jelous: i hope mines is as quick. my doctors app is at 4pm 2morro i couldn't go last thursday because my daughter was in hospital im feeling very nervous now i really hope that my doctors takes me on i really need this as im at my wits end and to be honest im eatting more than i ever have its like a flipping roundabout.

thanks for all the other replys girls sorry i dont get on here much to reply.;)

LOVE SASSY XOX
LET US KNOW HOW YOUR APPOINTMENT WENT, IM FROM LEEDS CHUCK,TAKE CARE MICHELLE

hiya girls :wave_cry:well i went to see my doctor 2day turned on the water works every thing lol and well she was very good she give me lots of advice and support, she said if i come to her once a month for the next 2months to get weighed, and i have to try and lose a few lbs she will the refer me to a consultined, she has given me some tablets ''xenical'' so we will se how it goes over the next 2 months, she said its a very drastic move to have the gastric op and if i could try abit harder to lose weight my self i would be better of in the long run. dear god help me i need to get this weight of i am really so down even my relationship is starting to go down hill as im starting to think things about my dh that i have never thought about before im going to be a nut job soon. oh and im now 19stone and 2lb this time last year i was 17stone 4 the funny thing is well not so funny really but i flipping eat less now than i ever have in my life, just after a chicken tika masala my thought was i will have one last blow out only to get my take away home to discover they had forgot my garlic nan:mad: so i ring them up and let them know they forgot my bread and the fact that we travel 11miles to get our currys from them and they said they where very sorry and our next order in on the house!! diets doomed from day 1 lol no but seriously i think i will have to get stuck in 2morro and start posting on here every day how i am getting on as i find having a good vent on the internet normally helps lol so its diet day 1 starting 2morro morning:sigh:

wish me luck girls im going to need it
thanks again for all the support so glad i have found you girls :flowers:

hiya girls :wave_cry:well i went to see my doctor 2day turned on the water works every thing lol and well she was very good she give me lots of advice and support, she said if i come to her once a month for the next 2months to get weighed, and i have to try and lose a few lbs she will the refer me to a consultined, she has given me some tablets ''xenical'' so we will se how it goes over the next 2 months, she said its a very drastic move to have the gastric op and if i could try abit harder to lose weight my self i would be better of in the long run. dear god help me i need to get this weight of i am really so down even my relationship is starting to go down hill as im starting to think things about my dh that i have never thought about before im going to be a nut job soon. oh and im now 19stone and 2lb this time last year i was 17stone 4 the funny thing is well not so funny really but i flipping eat less now than i ever have in my life, just after a chicken tika masala my thought was i will have one last blow out only to get my take away home to discover they had forgot my garlic nan:mad: so i ring them up and let them know they forgot my bread and the fact that we travel 11miles to get our currys from them and they said they where very sorry and our next order in on the house!! diets doomed from day 1 lol no but seriously i think i will have to get stuck in 2morro and start posting on here every day how i am getting on as i find having a good vent on the internet normally helps lol so its diet day 1 starting 2morro morning:sigh:

wish me luck girls im going to need it
thanks again for all the support so glad i have found you girls :flowers:
each persons weight are all so diffrent but if you are like me and have tried everything possible, got all the slimming world books,weight watchers,been on tablets, lost 6 stone,5 stone,4 stone i just put it all back on again.if you really feel you cant do it anyother way, go to another doctor. my doctors has around 6 different doctors i asked one around 18 month ago he never wrote to enquire.so i went to see another one and heyy presto appointment 2 week later.
take care i do hope you can do it the easier way michelle7272

just take it all one day at a time - keep in contact with your gp and badger him/her every time you go....if you get nowhere try another doctor in the practice but perserverance will pay in the end;)

with my pct you have to have tried xenical and reductil under nurse monitoring for atleast 6 months each before the panel will consider you for funding.

Keep your chin & good luck with the diet, just look at it as a necessary diet to get to ur ultimate goal of being referred

Back