• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

New Here! GASTRIC BY-PASS OR GASTRIC BAND?

EMPRESS PAULA

Hi All!
Well i must say what a great forum!! I have been on here for 5 hours now and read some great, and interesting articles - and what a lovely community spirit is going on!

I have recently been accepted by my PCT to receive bariatric surgery (got the letter beg of March) but have spent a lot of time looking at info and have only last week called and given my choice of hospital to have work done (Birmingham).
Now i am waiting for an appointment but was unsure of the procedure - does anyone know? And more to the point do they choose if you have Gastric by-pass or Band?? I have read up on both and have to say even though i have read many success stories about the by-pass it scares the life out of me, especially with the 1 in 380 death rate on the operating table!!
Can any one enlighten me on any of this??
Big Love xxxx P xxxx:D

Hi Paula, well, if you have questions, you are in the right place. I don't know the procedure for Northampton ( each PCT seems to be different). I had the band a couple of weeks ago and I'm pleased with the initial results - it is a powerful tool in my bid to be a "normal" and healthy size. There are plusses and minusses for by-pass and band - I'm sure someone more experienced in this matter will be along in a few hours.

Hi, welcome to our little corner :)

Your surgeon should go over your eating habits etc with you and recommend which would be the best surgery, but you would ultimately decide.

The best thing you can do is read read and read, learn as much as you can about both options, and then be able to make an informed decision.

I think everyone who has had the surgery has gone through what you are going through. We can only tell you why we choose the route we did for our own reasons. I think all the general pros and cons you have already read.

Speak to your consultant and they will be able to advise you which is best for you. A lot of the time (depending on which procedure they prefer) you can opt for either as they both have the same long term results IF you are committed and work with you band/ bypass.

I think in the early days the weight loss with bypass is greater, but as this is not a race then you may decide that this is not important to you but the long term result.

I went for the Band. The main reason for me was nothing to do with the results (as I have said I believe that they are the same if I am committed), but the procedure itself Like you I was worried about the higher chance of something going wrong. More practical than that however, was the recovery time. I have a small family and as I wanted to keep this from as many people as possible I could not take too much tim off work.

Lke I said this is a very personnel decision that you will be able to make yourself once you speak to your consultant, and I am sure you will get most )if not all_ your questions answered here.

I am in Birmingham by the way. Where about are you and what hospitals have you go the choice of?

Hi Paula welcome to mini's, i had my bypass 3 months ago and went private so am unable to help with the NHS route.

Hi S2BT

Where and when are you having your band fitted?

I am going to have a band fitted as I wouldn't risk such an invasive surgery because I am a wimp!!
Also if I didn't like the quality of life making my stomach the size of a match box my Surgeon tells me!! with Bypass, then I would have the option to have the band deflated or removed.
Having said all that though, if you get through surgery I actually think that the bypass is the probably the better op in terms of the band can fail.
The Surgeons tend to push towards the Bypass though for some reason.
They say the band is more suited to people who are quantity eaters and not sweet tooth persons. I weigh 17st 6lbs and am 5ft 7 by BMI is under 40 and my Surgeon before asking me what I wanted did try to offer me the bypass at a reduced cost???
I am a quantity eater and do not have a sweet tooth, I am just plain greedy if the truth be known!!
Anyway do your research weigh everything up and look into all options, I couldn't afford the bypass if I wanted it...but there is no way even if I was offered it for the same price as the band would I have it, but as I say I am a wimp!!

Whatever you decide don't be pushed in to changing it. Good luck x;)

Liz

Hi Paula, I've just read your blog and wonder if you are ready to take this big step in having surgery????For most people surgery is a last resort to have a happy healthy life having tried everything else. You yourself say that you have not really tried hard so I personally think you need to take into consideration which way to go. I'm not having a go at you sweetheart, its just that if you don't know if you want the op then I really don't think you would cope post op. Take a long time thinking about this because I would hate you to make a huge mistake.Good luck in your decision and I really hope you find the right way to go xx Gaynor xx

Hi Paula, well, if you have questions, you are in the right place. I don't know the procedure for Northampton ( each PCT seems to be different). I had the band a couple of weeks ago and I'm pleased with the initial results - it is a powerful tool in my bid to be a "normal" and healthy size. There are plusses and minusses for by-pass and band - I'm sure someone more experienced in this matter will be along in a few hours.

Thank-you ao much for your reply, very helpful -so glad you are happy with the band, just worried as not read anything yet about anyone being unhappy with it!! I would like to read some negative aspects to it too - good luck!xx

Hi, welcome to our little corner :)

Your surgeon should go over your eating habits etc with you and recommend which would be the best surgery, but you would ultimately decide.

The best thing you can do is read read and read, learn as much as you can about both options, and then be able to make an informed decision.

Thankyou for the reply really kind of you, your right there is so much info out there especially on this site xx

I think everyone who has had the surgery has gone through what you are going through. We can only tell you why we choose the route we did for our own reasons. I think all the general pros and cons you have already read.

Speak to your consultant and they will be able to advise you which is best for you. A lot of the time (depending on which procedure they prefer) you can opt for either as they both have the same long term results IF you are committed and work with you band/ bypass.

I think in the early days the weight loss with bypass is greater, but as this is not a race then you may decide that this is not important to you but the long term result.

I went for the Band. The main reason for me was nothing to do with the results (as I have said I believe that they are the same if I am committed), but the procedure itself Like you I was worried about the higher chance of something going wrong. More practical than that however, was the recovery time. I have a small family and as I wanted to keep this from as many people as possible I could not take too much tim off work.

Lke I said this is a very personnel decision that you will be able to make yourself once you speak to your consultant, and I am sure you will get most )if not all_ your questions answered here.

I am in Birmingham by the way. Where about are you and what hospitals have you go the choice of?

Hi, thanks for your kind message. I am not looking for a quick fix at all, but feel my eating habits are more suited to the By-pass, but i am just not happy about having such a drastic procedure and like yourself the whole thing kinda frightens me. I live in Northamptonshire and the PCT were very quick in responding to my doctors request (3 weeks) so i am very fortunate considering what i have read on here. I had a choice of Luton or Birmingham Heartlands, i chose Birmingham after a bit of research, but really need to find out a little more about Heartlands and Mr Super the consultant surgeon before i go for my appointment. Do you being local know anything that may help?? Thanks so much greatly appreciated xx

Hi S2BT

Where and when are you having your band fitted?

I am going to have a band fitted as I wouldn't risk such an invasive surgery because I am a wimp!!
Also if I didn't like the quality of life making my stomach the size of a match box my Surgeon tells me!! with Bypass, then I would have the option to have the band deflated or removed.
Having said all that though, if you get through surgery I actually think that the bypass is the probably the better op in terms of the band can fail.
The Surgeons tend to push towards the Bypass though for some reason.
They say the band is more suited to people who are quantity eaters and not sweet tooth persons. I weigh 17st 6lbs and am 5ft 7 by BMI is under 40 and my Surgeon before asking me what I wanted did try to offer me the bypass at a reduced cost???
I am a quantity eater and do not have a sweet tooth, I am just plain greedy if the truth be known!!
Anyway do your research weigh everything up and look into all options, I couldn't afford the bypass if I wanted it...but there is no way even if I was offered it for the same price as the band would I have it, but as I say I am a wimp!!

Whatever you decide don't be pushed in to changing it. Good luck x;)

Liz

Hi Liz, i am going to Birmingham Heartlands and am just awaiting my appointment so dont knwo length of time, i am going to ring them after easter to chase it up. Good point about the band and being to have it removed, you can not do that with the by pass can you! and you are not a wimp regards the by-pass it is pretty serious i think to go that route and i have to think of my son and family and the chances of if anything did go wrong being that much higher than gastric band. Thanks very helpful info keep in touch with how it goes for you as will be interested to see, when do you have it done and where? x

Hi Paula, I've just read your blog and wonder if you are ready to take this big step in having surgery????For most people surgery is a last resort to have a happy healthy life having tried everything else. You yourself say that you have not really tried hard so I personally think you need to take into consideration which way to go. I'm not having a go at you sweetheart, its just that if you don't know if you want the op then I really don't think you would cope post op. Take a long time thinking about this because I would hate you to make a huge mistake.Good luck in your decision and I really hope you find the right way to go xx Gaynor xx

Thank-you so much Gaynor, my reason for posting the blog was to try and analyse myself! As well as hoping that someone would pick up on it and comment like you have! i have already spend over a month thinking about it and trying to 'be good' with eating, unfortunately i have an illness that stops me exercising as much as i would like, so that is also a reason for this. You are so right in what you say, i am not going to jump into this without completly being sure so do not worry! Very good advice, i understand post-op it can be very hard mentally, regarding food issues and i am pleased you have pointed this out to me. i think i also need to look more into that as well. Best wishes and thanks again xx;)

Hi Paula
I had made up my mind what i wanted before i even went to my GP - i was so anxious that they wouldn't listen to me that i felt the need to go armed with loads of facts & statistics etc (i'm sooo anally retentive - lol) As it was, i didn't need to - my GP was great !
I have had my group info session with my surgery team and got the impression that the decision on which to go for is up for exploration and will be made jointly by you and your surgeon based on your weight loss needs & risks but also taking into consideration your wishes / fears etc. Your surgeon will help you to decide, but do lots of research in advance.
I chose the bypass for several reasons
1. i was 21 stone at first and had developed high blood pressure so i wanted a quicker initial loss to get that under control
2. i felt that the band required more inner willpower than the bypass and i just dont feel that i have enough for that - i need extra deterrents ! (also i dont think i could emotionally face another diet failure so i wanted the more extreme option)
I also wanted the option to change my mind (i.e have the band removed) taken away from me - god i am so weak !!
3. although quantity is an issue for me, my greatest vice is my sugar cravings (i have PCOS which makes me insulin resistant). Although the dumping syndrome some people get with the bypass sounds horrific i think i need this to help me to overcome this vice!
Its an interesting subject as there are so many varying opinions and there are fabulous success stories for both options.
Ultimately it all depends on what you and your surgeon think is right and most beneficial to you.
Good luck with whatever you choose - keep us posted

Hi Paula ,

What you have to remember is each and everyone of us are different,we all have our reasons as everyone has already said to have WLS surgery.
For me i went to see my doctor as i was 24 and a half stone and creeping steadily upto 25st,i was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes a few years ago which they said was related to being over weight and i always had high blood pressure,along with regular fasting blood test to check my liver,so enough was enough.
I was refered to see the biatric surgeon and within weeks,there i was sat in front of a total stranger telling him my eating habits and reasons and excuses why i ate that way.
My bmi was border line for a band or bypass and i decided that knowing what i was like i would go for the bypass as i knew the band could be removed and i would get "comfy" again and my bad eating habits could return and i didnt want that.
Unfortunately my years of bad eating habits had a knock on effect for me as when i went for surgery the surgeon couldnt do anything as my liver was dripping fat (his words)so i was sown back up again (luckily op was by keyhole ).
Not too be beaten and determined too lose weight i needed a tool that would help me so i asked if i could have a gastric balloon fitted,he agreed and now 6 months later and 3 and a half stone later,my bloods are fine,my blood pressure is down and i feel i have so much more energy.
I have been back to see my biatric surgeon and he has agreed i can have another operation but this time i have asked if i can have a gastric sleeve as it doesnt seem as obtrusive.
I have my balloon out on the 30th april and hopefully will have lost a little more weight as i have my pre-med in the afternoon so fingers crossed everything will be ok.

Sorry for waffling on but i just wanted to the post my reason for the way i have done things .

What ever you decide to do good luck and keep us posted .

Di

Hey I just wanted to welcome you to minis and wish you the best of luck which ever Op you decide to have.
I had The Bypass 4 months ago and its the best thing I have ever done. x

Hiya Paula, welcome to minimins chuck. I did'nt decide what I was having, Dr Hartland at Walsall Manor advised me when I had my first consultation with him. I think what ever your eating habits are now, reflects on what the Consultant you see may advise you to have.
Good luck.

Back