• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

sleev or by pass???? advice appreciated

pinkprincess77

Well today I went to see the dietitian and bariatric nurse. The thing is I went with the gastric sleeve in mind but the dietitian questioned why I had chosen the sleeve and not the by pass. I told her that I felt that the by pass was a little to drastic. However once we had discussed things I am now thinking that the by pass may be my best option as I have a bit of a sweet tooth and feel the chance of dumping syndrome with the by pass would stop me. I would appreciate any advice how people came to a decision when it can to sleeve vs by pass. Many thanks lynsey xx

That's the very reason I chose the bypass. Plus I used to eat very large portions. I have to say five months post bypass I'm still too scared to try anything too sweet or fatty. I'm hoping the risk of dumping will keep it that way.

I have had a few episodes of dumping, but that was because I didn't check the sugar content of a yogurt and forgot to water down my pineapple juice enough. So far it really had worked as a deterrent for me. I also think if you choose the procedure that best suits your eating habits, you'll get the most out of it :)

I think the bypass is probably the best for me because of my habits but its knowing that so much is being altered inside me. She said the chance of complications are about the same for both but said there is a large area of staples with the sleeve. X

I'm the same as Lamb_reader. I don't have a sweet tooth it's portion control and they suggested the sleeve was best to manage that. I basically took their advice.

Both ops are very successful and I'm sure you'll make the right decision with the surgeons advice aswell.

Good luck! x

I have a sweet tooth too, AND a problem with portion size, and yet I chose the sleeve because it wasn't as drastic as the bypass and I didn't like the idea of having my intestines replumbed. Also dumping and malabsorption issues worried me. I have lost all the weight I wanted to lose; can live a normal life, having small amounts of chocolate etc every day if I want to.

You can eat your way around every procedure if you want to eventually. Apparently with a bypass you have about a year's "honeymoon" where practically nothing you do or eat will stop you losing weight. But after that, if you haven't retrained your eating habits you could regain the weight.

I think at the end of the day I would trust your surgeon. He's seen thousands like us - they know what to look for. For me, I wanted the most invasive, most permanent most guaranteed solution cos I was huge. My BMI was 68. I asked for the DS - my hospital don't do it. So rny it was. Saved my bloody life. I don't think I would have done as well with sleeve.

word of warning tho - sweet tooth still there. I do dump, but know my limits to can eat to them. Willpower still necessary :)

Just to clarify re the large area of staples with the sleeve, this is only on the stomach to create a seal before the rest is cut away and removed. The bypass is a bigger operation, featuring re plumbling and removal of part of the intestine too (specifically about half of the part that absorbs nutrients). With the sleeve you still have stomach acid to help digest the food you eat and 100% or the area that absorbs food. Deficiencies still occur because your post op diet is limited not ordinarily because of malabsorbtion.
Obviously, I've had a sleeve so I'm a fan but not trying to say you should choose that just that i sounds like they've tried to scare you off it when its definitely a less invasive op in reality. Good luck with your decision, its a toughie.

Just to add they don't remove your intestines, they bypass the small intestine, which creates the malabsorption element of RNY :)

Thanks for replying everyone I'm still trying to decide which would be the best suited to me. I realise that I will still have a sweet tooth even if I did have the bypass but I think the fear of dumping w I uld stop me in my tracks. Decisions decisions lol I dont want to rush into deciding as ive got to live with my decision for the rest of my life. However time is ticking I have my appointment with the phyc on 2nd aprik and the bariatric nurse said they aim to get a appointment with the surgeon the following week and I'll be giving my date then :). Xx

All I can tell you is my decision process... I decided against the band as I would have eaten around it and I also have a fear of needles so the fills were a no no! After a lot of research I had decided on the sleeve as seen amazing results for less drastic surgery. BUT when I met my surgeon (NHS so not for financial gain) he said that he did a lot of sleeve to bypass conversions so he put it to me that if going under the knife for major surgery why not go for the most effective and the gold standard in bariatrics? He also said the decision was mine. I have since changed my mind to bypass to give myself the best chance of success. But that doesn't mean that the sleeve and band are not successful coz this site is a testament to great successes. This is just how I've decided. Good luck x

All I can tell you is my decision process... I decided against the band as I would have eaten around it and I also have a fear of needles so the fills were a no no! After a lot of research I had decided on the sleeve as seen amazing results for less drastic surgery. BUT when I met my surgeon (NHS so not for financial gain) he said that he did a lot of sleeve to bypass conversions so he put it to me that if going under the knife for major surgery why not go for the most effective and the gold standard in bariatrics? He also said the decision was mine. I have since changed my mind to bypass to give myself the best chance of success. But that doesn't mean that the sleeve and band are not successful coz this site is a testament to great successes. This is just how I've decided. Good luck x

I've been thinking the same to be honest if im ginna have surgery I might as well as have the gold standard. Originally when i went to the seminar I was all for the band but after listening to all the info I decided the band wasnt for me. So I thought sleeve but then when I spoke to the bariatric nurse yesterday I'm starting to think the bypass is probably most suitable to me. I think really my heart is set on the bypass but my head is taking over with fear of something going wrong. X

There is a possibility of things going wrong for all procedures - so don't base your decision on that ;) If I were you I would base it around your eating habits and whatever your surgeon recommends would be best for you :) x x

There is a possibility of things going wrong for all procedures - so don't base your decision on that ;) If I were you I would base it around your eating habits and whatever your surgeon recommends would be best for you :) x x

I know there's risks with what ever I decide but life is full of risks including being obese. I think I'm gonna wait and see what the surgeon recommends its definately going to be the sleeve or bypass but I kniw ultimately it is my decision xx

I picked the sleeve because it is less invasive, and my surgeon said that people lose about the same amount of weight. Good luck to you!!! :)

Ive decided on the bypass but im going to wait and see what the surgeon suggests to make my definate definate decision at the end of the day he should know best. X

I picked the sleeve because it is less invasive, and my surgeon said that people lose about the same amount of weight. Good luck to you!!! :)

I don't agree with this - my hospital advises that the sleeve is on average lower weight loss. However this is an average :)

I don't agree with this - my hospital advises that the sleeve is on average lower weight loss. However this is an average :)

Also it depends on your starting BMI too! The great thing is WE ALL MAKE A CHOICE BASED ON OUR MEDICAL HSTORY AND OUR SURGON'S SUGGESTION!!! Good Luck to ALL!!! ;)

Sent from my iPad using WLSurgery

Back