• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Going it alone!

Heidi C

hey everyone
As I posted yesterday, but somewhere else, I'm off to Prague in a couple of weeks for the gastric sleeve.
Other than wondering if anyone else has been to PRAGA MEDUCA or how everyone's journey has and is going. I was wondering what actual support I will get when back home. As I have chosen to do this surgery on my own and pay for it myself, does that mean I can't get any help, support or advice from my nhs doctor?
I'm wondering what post op foods to buy, what I should and should not do?
Any tips and advice would be great
Thanx

Hello and welcome :)
I think there's quite a few posts dotted about from people who've gone private abroad so have a good read perhaps to find out who others got on?
In terms of post op food I'd hope your team would provide you with a lot of information about what sort of food to eat and when because all of us have very different experiences of being on fluids or purees post op and how long for.
I hope everything goes well with your WLS :)

Hello and welcome :)
I think there's quite a few posts dotted about from people who've gone private abroad so have a good read perhaps to find out who others got on?
In terms of post op food I'd hope your team would provide you with a lot of information about what sort of food to eat and when because all of us have very different experiences of being on fluids or purees post op and how long for.
I hope everything goes well with your WLS :)

Thank you.
I was hoping to get some ideas as to what to stock up on as my surgery is in Prague and they won't staick the same brands as we do in the uk.
I understand that we are all different but would love some suggestions.
Have a super evening
H

I would suggest you make an appointment with your GP to let them know what you are doing, and ask what if any support they may be able to offer afterwards. You don't want to be back home with any possible complications such as an infection and they don't know what is going on.

If you read through the September and November 2016 surgeries you will see lots of comments in there about different types of liquids, foods and vitamins post - op.

Out of interest as I went back to see my consultant for routine post-op appointment today and have first of routine post-op dietitian in two weeks time, do you have to go back to Prague for your post-op check ups?

I would suggest you make an appointment with your GP to let them know what you are doing, and ask what if any support they may be able to offer afterwards. You don't want to be back home with any possible complications such as an infection and they don't know what is going on.

If you read through the September and November 2016 surgeries you will see lots of comments in there about different types of liquids, foods and vitamins post - op.

Out of interest as I went back to see my consultant for routine post-op appointment today and have first of routine post-op dietitian in two weeks time, do you have to go back to Prague for your post-op check ups?

No, no need to go back. All should be well.
I just know that the NHS Drs can get a bit iffy with us seeking treatment abroad.

@SAM55 good advice about pre warning the GP.

@Heidi C i would think they would be even more iffy if you don't let them know and then they have to do something when you return without any pre warning. There is a lot of aftercare involved with WLS - and that is if there are no complications. you will need a good relationship with your GP surgery for wound management, post op meds/vitamins, blood tests, B12 jabs etc etc. That is for the rest of your life!

I hate to say it Heidi but some people do have problems post op. A good surgical team regardless of whether they are NHS or private in any location will make sure you are fully informed about what you can eat when, the risks of the op, what you need to do if you become unwell and the follow up care you will need for the rest of your life.​

I was extremely unwell for 10 days post op and that was the third week out I ended up being admitted. God knows what would've happened if I didn't go in to hospital to be treated. Looking back now I was so unwell I should've gone after the first 2/3 days but was told by health professionals it was something completely different that was wrong with me. I couldn't keep anything down and ended up with severe dehydration and vitamin malnutrition due to me being sick after every attempt of drinking water/ soups / shakes. I'd wake up in the morning retching for 20 minutes with nothing coming up but stomach acid. So please please PLEASE make sure you have a plan in place. Or at least a copy of your medical notes :)

Hi Heidi. I agree with what some of the other posters have said, there have been people who have gone abroad by themselves to get the surgery but it's important to make sure you have a plan like starreyeyed suggests. When I was sick after my surgery I remember that the NHS doctors couldn't do a lot for me despite having some notes from my dr so getting all of your notes and medical suggestions from your dr in Prague to send to your GP is a good idea. I'm also on Esomeprazole so you might need to see if you can get a prescription from your GP in case you're not given many in Prague.

Good luck, I hope it all goes well for you!

Hi Heidi. I agree with what some of the other posters have said, there have been people who have gone abroad by themselves to get the surgery but it's important to make sure you have a plan like starreyeyed suggests. When I was sick after my surgery I remember that the NHS doctors couldn't do a lot for me despite having some notes from my dr so getting all of your notes and medical suggestions from your dr in Prague to send to your GP is a good idea. I'm also on Esomeprazole so you might need to see if you can get a prescription from your GP in case you're not given many in Prague.

Good luck, I hope it all goes well for you!

Hi, thanx for that. What is esomeprazole for?
Hx

For the first 3 months you should be prescribed an acid tablet, this should be in the form of a fast tab as they dissolve on the tongue and not in your new sleeve. My surgeon here wrote to my gp about my operation. I don't know what they do in Prague. I have a blood test every 3 months with my gp to check levels, most people do. I don't need b12 thankfully but you do need to make your gp aware as you will need follow up care post op.
Good luck

Hi, thanx for that. What is esomeprazole for?
Hx

It's a PPI (proton pump inhibitor) I was told that I would have to take one everyday for the rest of my life, some people only have to take it for a few months. It helps to reduce the amount of acid. I would check with your provider and check if there's a certain multivitamin they would like you to take too. Good luck.

No, no need to go back. All should be well.
I just know that the NHS Drs can get a bit iffy with us seeking treatment abroad.

Oh dear! So your surgery abroad doesn't include any follow up?

Time to get real @Heidi C I think, of course NHS doctors get a bit 'iffy' if patients go abroad for surgery then seek help at home when things don't go to plan.

There are very real post op potential problems that cannot be predicted!

Oh dear! So your surgery abroad doesn't include any follow up?

Time to get real @Heidi C I think, of course NHS doctors get a bit 'iffy' if patients go abroad for surgery then seek help at home when things don't go to plan.

There are very real post op potential problems that cannot be predicted!

Dear Mazza
I find you comment of "time to get real" harsh and uncalled for. As a tax paying resident of the United Kingdom I am entitled to the same care as anyone else and should be afforded the same consideration.
Hope you have a wonderful day.

I had my surgery in Prague a couple of months ago now and all is going really well.

I did let my Dr know what I was planning to do and to be fair he didn't seem particularly fussed. Now that I'm back my GP surgery have:
- removed my stitches
- given me blood tests and discussed the results with me

They have also stated that I will continue to get the blood tests in-line with my surgeons recommendations (every 3 months) and will prescribe the PPI's if I need them.

It's very unlikely that you will be turned away if you need medical assistance when you're back and you will still have access to your surgeon if you have any concerns. Most medical travel companies also offer a guarantee if in the unlikely event things do go wrong when you return home.

You'll get all the aftercare info when you're there which you can take home to give to your GP.

Plenty of people on this site have been abroad, and survived, medical travel is not a new thing! The fact is things can go wrong anywhere with any surgeon.....

:hugs:
I had my surgery in Prague a couple of months ago now and all is going really well.

I did let my Dr know what I was planning to do and to be fair he didn't seem particularly fussed. Now that I'm back my GP surgery have:
- removed my stitches

They have also stated that I will continue to get the blood tests in-line with my surgeons recommendations (every 3 months) and will prescribe the PPI's if I need them.

It's very unlikely that you will be turned away if you need medical assistance when you're back and you will still have access to your surgeon if you have any concerns. Most medical travel companies also offer a guarantee if in the unlikely event things do go wrong when you return home.

You'll get all the aftercare info when you're there which you can take home to give to your GP.

Plenty of people on this site have been abroad, and survived, medical travel is not a new thing! The fact is things can go wrong anywhere with any surgeon.....

Monidivina
Thank you so much for your kind words and advice. Have been made to feel awful by an administrator on this site about my choice.
I really need a useful, kind and constructive response like yours.
Thank you so much :)

- removed my stitches

Hey,
I heard alot of good things about this place, I'm actually on the nhs route but I'm thinking of going private with this place. I wanted to know if it was any good and also how much have you lost since getting the surgery.x

Aaliyah, if you look below moniDavina's non-existent photo (I don't have one either) you will see she has lost nearly 5 stones and it could be more depending when she last updated her profile.

Heidi, did you contact your GP beforehand? How did it go?

Back