• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gastric Bypass Daily Menus

phatgirl

Hiya foodie peeps. Cleggy asked for some help with daily menus after you are on regular foods. So I have had a nose around the internet and food a few things. I will add more as I come up with more, but please feel free to add your menus/comments/suggestions etc.

[FONT=&quot]It is a guideline for people who are further down the wls road. This is a ‘controlled menu’ for continued weight loss after 6 months so early pre-ops, do not do this! Remember, it is only a suggestion and can be modified to suit you. I personally think the calories are a bit high (1200) but that can be easily modified.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Daily Menu
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Breakfast...250 calories and 15-20 grams protein...choose one and do it every day this coming week![/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]Protein drink, protein shake, ready to drink protein[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Egg and a small sausage link[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Ricotta, cottage cheese, yogurt and fruit with a spoonful of protein powder swirled in there (maybe a few sliced almonds)[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Two cheese sticks or two low-fat babybel rounds[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
Mid morning protein supplement... a 100 calorie, 15-20 gram protein boost [/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]Protein Drink[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Cheese stick or round[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Light low-sugar yogurt[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]1/2 a low-sugar protein bar[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Coffee with vanilla protein drink as creamer[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
Lunch...300-350 calories and 15-20 grams of protein consisting of food you prepare for and take to the office. Don't leave what you eat at your desk to chance. PLAN YOUR LUNCH. You'll burn more calories digesting your midday meal because protein is more difficult to break down than carbohydrates or fat and it will stay with you longer into your day. [/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]Roast deli turkey rolled up. Use a little salsa or ranch for dipping sauce, or roll up with hummus or whole grain mustard, or wasabi mustard. (MAYO is 100 calories per TEASPOON as are all fats, so measure and use as little as possible or substitute mustard or salsa-based moistening agents)[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]1/2 cup tuna salad or ricotta or cottage cheese on top of a slice of tomato[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Shredded salmon or deli meat blended with shredded lettuce, baby tomatoes, and lower fat dressing[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]NO crackers, no rolls, no chips, no tortillas, no low carb wraps[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
Mid-afternoon protein supplement...a 100 calorie, 15-20 gram protein boost[/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]Protein Drink[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Cheese stick or round[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Light low-sugar yogurt[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]1/2 protein bar[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Coffee with vanilla protein drink as creamer[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
Supper...a target of 300-400 calories and 20 grams of protein consisting of lean protein and a small salad or lower carb vegetable.

Make this a standard meal comprised of grilled, pan sautéed or baked protein such as fish, chicken, or egg... with different bottled sauces or jar salsas to moisten and a small salad. [/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]Pan sautéed shrimp, with a little bottled salsa to moisten[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Grilled or pan sautéed turkey burger[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Baked salmon[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Broiled tilapia filet[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Two egg omelette - sauté a few mushrooms, red peppers, spinach, onion, and add cheese[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]All protein served with a tossed chopped salad of romaine lettuce, sliced grape tomatoes, cucumber cubes, and tossed with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. (1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 teaspoon balsamic... toss in a big bowl to coat entire salad. If you make a bigger salad, use 3 tablespoons oil and 1 tablespoon vinegar... be sure to season with salt and pepper!) You can use different salad ingredients for variety... sliced olives, cubed cukes, sliced grape tomatoes, chopped artichoke hearts. Sometimes, I just have sliced grape tomatoes and red onion... or tomato and avocado and spoon it on to pan sautéed shrimp with salt and pepper... easy and fast.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]No bread, no potato, no rice, no pasta, no tortilla, no wraps, no low carb bread, no crackers.

If you are an evening snacker as I am... use either your mid morning or mid afternoon supplement as an 8-9pm supplement so you will not mindlessly snack. Give yourself permission to have one of the 100 calorie supplement foods listed as a planned eating event.[/FONT]

Last edited:

phatgirl

[FONT=&quot]Here is a menu I fashioned from the Weight Loss for Dummies book. I have added a few of my recipes (highlighted in purple w/links below). This book suggests 3 meals & 2 snacks per day. It is up to you where to put your snacks during the course of the day. This menu is for bypassers on soft foods or beyond.[/FONT]

*Special note about eggs, many post-ops struggle with eggs in various forms. Start with a very soft scramble and then work up to egg salad so that you are sure you can tolerate the texture. As always go slow, chew alot and try them first at home!

[FONT=&quot]Breakfast choices, pick one:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 scrambled or over easy egg, 28g of shredded cheese, 1 slice whole-grain toast[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]45g of oats, 3 tbsp of blueberries, 8 ounces of semi-skim milk[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]60mls low-fat cottage cheese, ½ can of canned pears (in water)[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]½ slice of whole-grain toast, 1 tbsp peanut butter, 1 small banana sliced[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]60mls low-fat crème fraiche, 3 tbsp of blueberries, splenda, vanilla extract & cinnamon[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I-2 weetabix, 240mls milk, sliced almonds & 95g of sliced strawberries[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]1 serving Vanilla egg custard[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]http://www.minimins.com/wls-recipes...ee-stage-soups-sauce-recipes.html#post1070743[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Mid-morning snack, Mid-afternoon or late snack choices:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
Protein drink
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]1 small apple & 2 tbsp peanut butter[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Small light/low-sugar yogurt w/95g sliced berries[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Lunch Choices:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Tuna salad w/light mayo 84g, 95g baby spinach[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Thin sliced turkey 84g, 28g sliced cheese, 3 lettuce leaves, light mayo mixed w/mustard[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Egg salad w/light mayo 56g[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Salad w/ 56g sliced chicken and almonds w/light dressing[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]½ of a Subway 6” Ham/turkey/chicken on toasted bread[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]50 mls Hummus with raw veg for dipping (carrots, cucumber, button mushrooms, celery, whatever you like)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]http://www.minimins.com/wls-recipes...ee-stage-soups-sauce-recipes.html#post1070471[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]250 mls Tuscan Bean Soup[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]http://www.minimins.com/wls-recipes...ee-stage-soups-sauce-recipes.html#post1076036[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Evening Meal Choices:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]1 can of Chicken noodle soup, ½ a small sweet potato, 1 tsp butter[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Salmon 84g cooked, 1 tsp butter, 95g green peas & carrots, 95g boiled potato w/skin[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Pork tenderloin 84g cooked, 95g sugar-free applesauce, 95g French beans[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]http://www.minimins.com/wls-recipes...ee-stage-soups-sauce-recipes.html#post1070578[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Prawn salad[FONT=&quot] 56g, 40g chopped broccoli, 28g shredded cheese to melt on broccoli[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]http://www.minimins.com/wls-recipes...ee-stage-soups-sauce-recipes.html#post1070535[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Roasted, skinless chicken 113g, 84g creamed spinach[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Mexican Bean Dip 65g, 5 tortilla chips or ½ whole-wheat pita toasted crisp[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]http://www.minimins.com/wls-recipes...-stage-soups-sauce-recipes-3.html#post1106914[/FONT]

Last edited:

Cleggy

Nic - As always a Superstar. Thanks for getting this thread underway, I am sure that many of us can benefit from this.

samr123

Hi

this is my first post but I have been reading the site for a couple of weeks. I am 6 weeks post op and two weeks post first band fill. So far I am doing ok but was struggling with portion sizes (I had been using kiddie plates as a guide). Hhowever, just bought a book 'eating well after weight loss surgery' which has given me some useful ideas on portion sizes.

My typical day is a large skim latte or scrambled eggs for breakfast. lunch is a small soup (any flavour) and dinner is some form of protein and cooked veg. I also have a fat-free yogurt and x-l mini babybel at somepoint during the day and drink c2l of sugar free squash.

Thanks for the inspiration and good luck!

Sam

phatgirl

Hi Sam! Welcome to minimins - happy that you joined us here. Sounds like your eating is going well, it sounds healthy and balanced. Best of luck with your weight loss. Have you considered posting in the main part of the surgical weight loss section? There are lots of friendly supportive people who would love to hear your story!

Nic;)

Alia

Nic please keep them coming as this will be so useful for me as I'm hopeless when it comes to ideas for things to eat so tend to stick to the basics, same thing day in and day out. The things I'm eating tend to be really bland and tastless and I really don't enjoy them but am trying to think of eating as a thing I need to do rather than something I enjoy doing and I really need to change it.

You have come up trumps for us again hunney as you always do

Alia xxx

grom

Slim for 2009
Today I ate ............

Protein shake with banana and low fat home made blueberry muffin

Cauliflower and blue cheese soup(homemade)

Tea will be chicken tokka masala using WW cooking sauce and adding extra spinach. I don't like puree chicken so I mince my chicken before cooking it and cook it very slowly so it's nice and soft.

I am going to post some recipes now!

Cleggy

Go Grom Go lol.

grom

Slim for 2009
Today I ate
banana protein shake
chick peas in masala sauce (taste like baked beans!) with a blob of mash
Same again for tea
milky coffee for supper

Has a really good meeting with dietician who reassured me that am doing well. She said it was normal to feel hungrier during the soft food phase and that I would feel full for longer once I was on to harder food.

phatgirl

I ate today:
Breakfast: Milky coffee & glass of oj
Lunch: two turkey roll-ups (slice of turkey, slice of cheese, thinly sliced cucumbers & a dab of WW thousand island dressing) and a couple of spoons of cottage cheese
Snack: Tiny banana & mini babybel cheese
Dinner: Tin of low cal Veg Soup with added chicken stock and a little parm cheese
Snack: Big spoon of no-sugar added crunchy peanut butter

Oh, and 3 grapes at the support group (I forgot how lovely grapes can be!).

Cleggy

Grom - Glad the meeting went well with the dieticean. I notice that a lot of you seem to be having protein supplements. My dieticean advised against them and I saw my doctor on Tuesday prior to having a blood test and he too advised me against them.
PG & Grom - Like how you have started to set out the 'menu'. Folks like myself and Aliah will be able to take tips from them. Ta again.

grom

Slim for 2009
Grom - Glad the meeting went well with the dieticean. I notice that a lot of you seem to be having protein supplements. My dieticean advised against them and I saw my doctor on Tuesday prior to having a blood test and he too advised me against them.
PG & Grom - Like how you have started to set out the 'menu'. Folks like myself and Aliah will be able to take tips from them. Ta again.

Funnily enough my dietician said it's ok to have them if they are not too high in cals, and if I'm having a low protein day but in the long run, after I have healed, I shouldn't need them if I am eating healthily. She also said that the 'no carbs' idea isn't good. She said ideally on proper food, half your plate should be veg/salad, a quarter protein and a quarter carbs. That sounds like good sensible advice to me! Everyone seems to get differing advice on here and I suppose you just have to go with whatever feels right for you! (She also said there is lots of protein in a pint of skimmed milk - I had forgotten that from my school biology lessons!)

Today's menu

Porridge for breakfast made with skimmed milk and a dribble of honey

Carrot and coriander (not brilliant for filling power the dietician noted, but it needed using up)
Natural yoghurt and stewed apples

Tea will be canned vegetable dhal which is low fat and low sugar and looks very nice, and probably more yoghurt for afters or a skimmed milk lattee.

What do people eat for afters? I am not a big pudding eater but sometimes fancy something sweet after a meal.

phatgirl

I hope that nobody minds a bit of a rant, please read no further if you do! It is absolutely MIND BOGGLING to hear UK dieticians (who BTW do not have much experience with gastric bypass diets) advise against protein supplements!! Also, for them to say limiting refined carbs (bread, rice, pasta, table sugar) is not healthy (hello, many, many, many research studies have shown that the increased consumption of refined carbs in the past century is how we even got the extreme obesity problem in the first place).

ARRRGGG! The books I have read on surgery that have been written by health professional and have gotten input from nutritionist with advance knowledge of gastric bypass all say that protein is the most important thing! The fact that 200,000 people per year have gastric bypass surgery over there for the last 5-10 years gives those recommendations high credibility. I am not sure that 200,000 gastric bypasses have been done in the UK in total.

Okay rant over. I absolutely would never advise someone to go against the professional advice they have received, I am not in the medical field and have never received training so this is solely my opinion. Just had to get that out. There is never just one way to do things and people should chose their route and stick with it.

Sorry to ramble,
Nic;)

shelbell

Proudly maintaining
Have to say, from trying different ways of eating, the protein based method is having the most dramatic losses for me (10lbs in 10 days at 6months post op + is phenomenal) and doesn't feel like a diet to me. It's working well, and all the research I've looked at explains why.

My dietician advocated high protein low carbs, but I don't think she understands the reasoning behind it.

My main concern is maintaining my losses long term, and I'm hoping that using the high protein method I can do that easily.

tesmaralda

going slightly off track the slimming world red days are based on high protien and very little/none at all carb style meals and works well for a lot of people who havn't had wls. But as nic said people have to find their own thing that works for them and follow the advice of their medical professionals.

The healthy balanced veg meat and proteins in one meal is something I will certainly be trying to aim for once I am at my goal weight in the hopes of that is how I will be able to maintain a healthy weight.

phatgirl

What do people eat for afters? I am not a big pudding eater but sometimes fancy something sweet after a meal.

Missed your question hun 'cause I was up on my soap box!!:soapbox::soapbox::soapbox:

For a sweet treat I will do one of my vanilla egg custards & top it off with my vanilla applesauce that I have heated. It is heaven.

You could also do a fruit parfait with berries, some sugar-free angle delight and some sliced almonds. High in protein & nutrition. You can add sliced fruit (apples, peaches, pears, grapes, berries) to a packet of sugar-free jelly (reduce the required water by a few tablespoons to make it a firm set), let it set then add a bit of low fat/sugar whipped cream on top.

Nic;)

Cleggy

I hope that nobody minds a bit of a rant, please read no further if you do! It is absolutely MIND BOGGLING to hear UK dieticians (who BTW do not have much experience with gastric bypass diets) advise against protein supplements!! Also, for them to say limiting refined carbs (bread, rice, pasta, table sugar) is not healthy (hello, many, many, many research studies have shown that the increased consumption of refined carbs in the past century is how we even got the extreme obesity problem in the first place).

ARRRGGG! The books I have read on surgery that have been written by health professional and have gotten input from nutritionist with advance knowledge of gastric bypass all say that protein is the most important thing! The fact that 200,000 people per year have gastric bypass surgery over there for the last 5-10 years gives those recommendations high credibility. I am not sure that 200,000 gastric bypasses have been done in the UK in total.

Okay rant over. I absolutely would never advise someone to go against the professional advice they have received, I am not in the medical field and have never received training so this is solely my opinion. Just had to get that out. There is never just one way to do things and people should chose their route and stick with it.

Sorry to ramble,
Nic;)
Nic - I hope you don't think I was having a pop, far from it. I have looked at many posts on here and plenty folks seem to be talking about protein and it was something that had not been pointed out to me so I thought I would ask my mentors.

phatgirl

Oh, no dear I did not think you were taking a 'pop' at me!!! Far from it. I was just irritated about by the conflicting information we all get from professionals who have degrees & stuff. It totally makes me rage as you could see in my post. You would think since many of them are employed by the NHS that they would at least agree with each other but noooo, every dietician & surgeon are a island in and of themselves. Just sets me off because they are messing with our essential health and well being & you would think there would be some sort of standard set with data to back it up. See, I am rambling again!

I just wanted you and all who posted here to know that I was not reacting to you or your opinons just the contradiction of instructions that are given to people.

Nic;)

grom

Slim for 2009
Sorry we brought on a rant Nic - I blame that Cleggy you know!!

I know what you mean tho - makes you feel like banging their heads together doesn't it? But I guess that's the same in the world of diets and nutrition in general isn't it? I have seen many 'experts' over the years of trying to lose weight and everyone has a different view of what you should/shouldn't be doing!

I also agree that you have to find a way that works for you, but something that still rings true with me , and that I can't reconcile with what the dietician says, is that everyone seems to recommend 70 - 80 g protein per day for good health post bypass. I'm sure that there is no way I will ever be able to eat that much protein in a day (don't think I ever have done!!) as well as fruit and veg, so the protein shakes seem like a good 'insurance policy' for me.

In my case, I think it's too early for me to say how my eating will pan out in the future but am erring towards a sensible 'balanced' diet with something from all food groups (choosing complex carbs where possible), with extra protein shakes as supplements and a healthy way to add puree fruit and milk to my diet.

Only time will tell!!!

Cleggy

Steady on Grom lol!