• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

gastric bypass recovery time????

judybrowneyes

Hi everyone wonder if you can help, well i have been told that i will have my op in April so excited and terrified too lol and tonight my husband was getting upset as he heard from someone how dangerous the op was etc, etc., :sigh:well i can understand that of course and then tried to explain that doing nothing was just as much a risk if not more so , also toid him about how well you are all doing and you seem pretty lively to me lol, ok so back to my question so after the operation i understand you are in for anything up to a week so thereafter how long till you got back to 1/ driving a car 2 back to work lol yes i know very sad but need to plan a few things lol:)

Hiya:D

Just to let you know I had a gastric bypass in Feb 2007 I had the op on Wednesday morning and was discharged directly from intensive care on the Friday.

I was driving after 8 days although its not advised for up to 6 weeks and I was fit and well within a couple of weeks.......take heed though I was one of the very lucky ones and everyones experience differs.

Good luck with your op, I've lost 10 stone and its changed my life and my health for the better

Hiya Bond girl thanks for the reply 10 stone wow wow wow that is amazing well done you must be feeling great, i have about the same to loose too need to loose a person to find the healthier me lol you know i am just so looking forward to be able to just go for a walk without thinking about it!! thanks for your encouragement i really appreciate it

Hiya Jude :)

It depends if you're having open or lap. I had lap, was in hospital 2 nights, driving after 2 weeks (check with your car insurance provider), and back to work after 2 1/2 weeks. My hubby took off 10 days so I had a week on my own before going back to work and was fine :)

Just wanted to wish you the best of luck with your Op, You will not regret it one bit.
I drove after about 2 weeks, but like others say,Go with what the doc tell you and you'l be fine. Best wishes x

recovery

hi judybrowneyes i had my bypass on 19th jan 09 nearly eight weeks ago and although i have lost a lot of weight i still get off days now. as for returning to work it really depends on what you do for a living,if youre job is quite phisical then forget it for six weeks if your job is not so then perhaps a little less.as for driving then check with your insurer but for me it was a minimum of two weeks after discharge,if you were to drive before and without your insurers knowledge then all cover would be void,......

i never thought about the driving thing.. thanks for that judy lol ... something i never thought about bugga... im only one who drives what will i do lol ... and congrats and good luck for your op hun xx

I had my open bypass on 2nd Jan 09 I am going back to work on the 23rd March didnt drive for 6 weeks as most insurance companies wont pay out if you have an accident So check yours before you drive i still get the odd twinge but as of yet Im doing ok

Was in hospital 5 days but I went in the night before my op. Op was on a friday. the department that does the swollow test wasnt open over the weekend so I had to wait till Monday

I was driving 10 days later but each insurance policy is different so advisable to check...also you need to ensure that you are able to do an emergency stop without hurting yourself....I returned to work after three weeks could of gone back sooner but wanted to make the most of it as very demanding job...good luck chick..xx

Hey everyone thank you sooooooooooooooo much that is brilliant omg i am now so excited about it cant wait to get my date and get on with it !!! I will check my car insurance and see and take it from there luckily at the moment my work is a short drive away and mainly sedentary do it seems that a return to work after 2 weeks or so is possible thats great as i am doing temporary work and only get paid for hours i work...but i will live lol they are hoping to do a lap but when he saw my gall stone op scar he said it might not be possible but i am keeping fingers crossed....hope for a lap so with open is it a line across or down center ... I love reading about how you are all getting on such an inspiration and so reassuring cant wait to become another looser big time lol keep it up everyone.... will keep you posted just waiting for the pre op assessment where they will give me the liver reducing diet and at teh moment he has told me to eat little protein 2 small portions a say some fruit and veg and diet yogurt so doing ok ;-)

Hi Jude,

Open is normally a vertical incision.

Shel

ah ok thanks shellbell i missed a call from the hospital today they want me to call to discuss when my op will be and going into the nurses for pre op assessment and to get the proper liver shrinking diet,, so how long before the operation do you do it...???

depends on the surgeon, it varies from 7-14 days.

Back