• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

gastric bypass

mrs.fat.lass

hi ya im new here so dont know what im doing lol....i have my pre assessment next week and was just wondering how the surgery goes??? it sounds silly but is there alot of pain etc later on...
:confused:

Hi there, welcome to Minimins - it is definitely the place to be if you need answers. What sort of surgery are you having?

hi mrs im a bander, but im sure a bypasser will be along soon to advise you.

liz x

hi ya, thanku for replying back...im having the open surgery as thats all the funding i could get..to be honest its not me thats nervous, its my husband lol...he just wants reassurance and i, along with anyone else cannot give it 100% xx

Oh yes, just noticed the subheading. I too am a bander so can't help you with advice re. pain etc. Although with any op I guess you feel awful for a few days and then gradually get better - thats what happened to me anyway!

lol, thats ok, its always great to hear success stories no matter how its done....i think alot of people felt down and depressed when overweight but u always feel alone, dont u??? xx

Hello I had laproscopic (keyhole) gastric bypass on 30th October and have had wonderful success. I had very little pain & healed pretty fast. So fire away with any questions you might have.

I do know that there are several recent bypassers (Waynetta, Teen, Brunetteandred) that had open surgery & they might be able to give you a more detailed report on pain & such.

All the folks on the Walsall Massive thread are due to have or have had open procedures so you can check in there if you like.

http://www.minimins.com/surgical-weight-loss/84061-walsall-masssiiiiiiivvvve.html

Nic:p

Hi and welcome to minis. I had bypass and have not had any pain whatsoever....in fact it was so painless for me I wondered if he had done the surgery....xx

Hi and welcome to mini's good luck with your WLS journey. I am a private keyhole bypasser, so am unable to comment too much on the NHS proceedure.

Hi, welcome to Mini's :) I had NHS keyhole bypass so can't help with the open process but there are a fair few around having open surgery.

Hi and :welcome:

I am 7 days post-op and was open bypassed. Individuals' ability to deal with pain varies and I am in the tolerate high pain ability. But I felt pain after.

Make no bones about it, it is a major op, your insides have been re-plumbed and you will have a vertical scar from just under your breastbone to near your navel.

But! They will ensure you have pain relief, usually a morphine drip, which is self-administered via a button. Don't worry; you can't OD, it's on a timer!

Dissolvable paracetamol takes over after a couple of days and generally does the trick, but if you find you need something a little stronger, then do please let the hospital know before you are discharged. They will ensure you have the correct meds to take home.

You will most likely have pain from trapped wind too but that is par for the course and is sortable by moving regularly, sipping warm fluids and I find gently rocking back and forth helped me.

All the very best and keep talking.

I had open surgery and I found it fairly painfull for the first few days. I would'nt say excruciating pain but it's worse than toothache ........... lol. It's not long before the pains gone and you start feeling the effects of weight loss though, it's all thoroughly worth it. :)

Hi I am pre op Bander so not any help but just wanted to say hi. I am new to this site and have already found it a wonderful place to get help and advise.

Having thought I have had 2 c sections so am pretty sure they are similar in recovery etc. I had strong pain killers for 3 days but after that didn't need much else. I found that staying in bad for a full 24 hours the second time did me the world of good. 1st time they had me out of bed after a few hours and it took me longer to be able to stand straight or bend etc.

So my advise would be stay in bed for a long as possible in the first 24 hours.

good evening all...would just like to thank u all for ur comments...i have been reading a few of the threads in here but there are way too many lol...to be honest its not me thats worried bout it all, its my husband, he is definitely thinking the worst, bless him..good luck to all of u and many thanks again, keep up the good work xxx

Back