• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gastric Bypass - Referral Question, Please Help!!

Hiya hun,
i have been on xenical & initially I lost a bit of weight but haven't lost a bean for ages & have put 3lb on despite the xenical (I know I was supposed to go see the nurse at the surgery often which I rarely did due to agoraphobia) anyway I eventually plucked up the courage to ask my gp about bariatric surgery a fortnight ago & he agreed it would be for the best so it's a waiting game now to see what happens...
how about doing what Nic did, agree to take them then go back shortly afterwards & say you have had enough... just a thought chuck..
good luck
love n hugs
Vicky
xxxxxxxxxx

Last edited:
Vicky - you cannot be serious about what you just suggested surely?? :confused: We are talking about VERY expensive drugs you know.

Just popped in to update on sister's situation but will have to do it later. Just remembered I should be somewhere else right now!!

It's very frustrating, just like you are going through. I have the consultant and the manager at the PCT both telling me the same, and the GP telling me something totally different. The thing I worry about (and wonder if you feel the same) is that if I go to see another GP at the same practice, will they look at the notes made by the other GP and go along with their decision. There is another very nice GP at my practice, and I am wondering about seeing him (although I've always got on well with the GP I saw initially). I just worry that it will be a waste of time, especially as getting to the surgery is exceptionally difficult for me.

Hi Gerry I saw one doctor at my surgery for over 12 months trying to lose weight, in the end she got fed up with me and said to double my time at the gym after previously telling me the gym was no good for me. I spoke to nurse at the clinic and she advised me to speak to a different doctor which she did and so far he has referred me to the PCT and to Hope hospital whilst waiting for the PCT to attend the bariatric clinic there which is weight management. Just becuase your GP can read notes does not mean that they will agree with it. I have 4 doctors at my surgery that I see for different things as they are all good for different things...hope this helps Linda x

Hi Vicky

I think your suggestion was good!

Yes Floella, these drugs are expensive, but we aren't talking about throwing them away. You can always take unused medication back to the chemist. Sometimes you need to be crafty with these GP's, they seem to want to fob you off with a pescription asap and get the next patient in!!!

I tried all the weight loss drugs available - xenical, reductil and accomplia but after getting suicidal thought 3 times a week was taken off the accomplia. Doctor made a referral for Gastric Banding and have heard this week that funding has been approved (yah!) but there's a 6 month waiting list (boo!). I'm in Sussex and will be going to Chichester. Any one had the op there who could give us an idea of what happens??? Many thanks. Julie

Hi Julie, well done on getting funding!! That is not easy in itself. Op wise, all will be fine. My thread (secret diary of a gastric bander) has all the details of how pre and post op was for me if it helps! I know there are some people about on here who have had their ops at Chichester who will be along to tell you about it soon xx

Back