• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Doctors Referral

pinkelle

Well, I went to my doctor this morning and asked her to refer my for surgery.

I have never, ever felt so small, stupid and thick in all my life. She has told me that she won't refer me for any surgery because I can't maintain my weight and it is increasing(!!!)

She has also said that, (although she has in writing from a local group called why w8 that I have) as I can't make any small changes to my lifestyle and eating, there is no way she will refer me.

She knows I have been on weight watchers, atkins, slim fast, reductil, xenical, why w8 and, most recently, slimming world and that although weight has been lost, it has gone back on.

I explained to her that I have has a really bad year so far. I lost my nan in january, the family dog in february (a week after my nan - she was 15 yrs old and we have had her since 6 weeks old) and my grandad in may and this has not helped my weight loss progress. I have also just completed a 2 year foundation degree course as well. (which was stressful towards the end to say the least.)

I have told her that I know it is not a quick-fix solution and that things need to change. I have told her I have done research on and around the subject and especially on the type of surgery I want.

But all this mounted to a big, fat NO WAY!!

She was talking to me like I was a kid in trouble and that I had done something wrong.

She has also told me that I need to find something other than food to fall back and rely on and asked me if I was feeding my 2 year old the same rubbish I was eating. (She asked this because I said if I had a treat, it would be a curly wurly and a packet of quavers in the evening, not every night.)

Before I went in there I was as nervous as hell and was physically shaking with elephants (not just the run of the mill butterflies) in my stomach. And then when I came out I felt about 6 years old and could have sat and cried at the way I had been spoken to and treated.

My best mate knows of someone who has had the surgery (funded himself) and she is going to ask him about it and see if it is worth me asking another doctor to be referred.

Anyway, said I would keep you updated. And so I have. Sorry, rant over!:cry:

First of all Pink - here's a big fat hug (((()))). What a cow! Sorry but she has no right to treat her patients like that - how would she like it? Is she a one-woman-band or are there other doctors in the practice? Why don't you ask the practice nurse if anyone from that surgery has had wls and ask her advice about which doctor to approach? Worth a try. Good luck, Marion xx

My old dr was like yours.. Thankfully we moved house and I had to change gp's.. I couldn't believe that my new gp prescribed me reductil and xenical (not at the same time) my old gp didn't believe in spending money and used to tell me to go away and do it on my own!

Hope you have better luck if you can find another dr.

Hi Margaret,
To be honest I don't really have any. I do get out of puff and back pain if I walk too far/much but i can still walk. I do suffer from PCOS and have very irregular periods (not had one for 3 months) which, big surprise here, she blamed on the weight and told me to do a pregnancy test. There is nothing else, no asthma, no diabetes, no arthritis, no gall stones (that I know of) cholesterol is fine/ normal, blood pressure is fine/ normal, no strokes, no heartburn. (not that i want any of these anyway but surely with my BMI being 61 they are only just around the corner?)

Is that witch a doctor or what. If we could all loose wheight and keep it off we would'nt have the need for wheight loss surgery go to another doctor. janey

Hi Marion, thanks for the hug!!!
There are other doctors there but i thought it might be best if i saw her as she is my "usual" doctor and has always been so understanding in the past.
Plus there is the fact that she is a she. Have said to my partner today though that the way she spoke to me I am seriously considering changing doctors.
x

Is that witch a doctor or what. If we could all loose wheight and keep it off we would'nt have the need for wheight loss surgery go to another doctor. janey

I nearly said that to her. Why would I be asking for such a drastic thing if i was able to lose weight, and keep it off, easily myself?
Silly Moo!!!

Mind you, I must say that when we had finished at the doctors, me and my partner went to ASDA for breckie. We were both gonna have the mega breakfast but when they were dishing his up all I could think was "yuck" so I had beans on toast with no butter!! (Was gonna shove the 3 sausages, 2 bacon, 2 eggs, 3 hash browns, tomatoes and black pudding up my doctors .............! ;-)

Pinkelle put another post on here and ask if the is anybody from the Telford area have had surgery on the NHS and if so maybe you can ask who their Doctor is and change to them . The is no harm in trying all avenues good luck .
Margaret xx

Thats an idea...thanks!

Hi

Im so sorry your GP made you feel like this

See a different GP in your practice this worked for me straight away the difference was unbelievable and involve PALS (patient advice and liason service) can be contacted at your local hospital !!!

Hope this helps
keep fighting and good luck

Helen
xxxxx

I am worried though as my doctor was typing away the whole time she was belittling me and if she has put something to make another doctor in the practice also say no then I am buggered BUT on the other hand, if I went to another surgery then they would see all my notes anyway. Wouldn't they?

Hi there Pink.

A doctor does not have the right to refuse to refer you if you fit the NICE criteria in your area and I would say with a BMI of over 60 you qualify hands down.

It is only the PCT or surgeon who can refuse you the surgery.

I would firstly sleep on it and then in the morning type a letter of formal complaint to the practise manager about how this doctor treated you.

Then also ask to see a different GP.

What PCT do you come under?

Oooo people like her make me angry, I had a doctor like that once and I complained. I actually got an apology too.

I hope you get a better result soon.

Hi,

Crickey that's awful!! I'm similar in that I dont have any co-morbidities but do have PCOS. My BMI is about 50 (ish I think) and at that sort of BMI you dont need to have other issues to be a candidate for WLS! My GP was negative but in a positive way - if you see what I mean - she just explained it is a life changing thing to do and not an easy fix but has refered me anyway and is supportive. At our sort of BMI I dont think you'll have problems getting funding especially if you've tried Reductil/Xenical etc. I totally agree with everyone else go and see another GP you have every right to at least have a consultation with a surgeon!

Good luck!
xx

i had the same from a doctor at my practice they sent me for a mental assesment lol and said i had no reason to over eat as i wasnt depressed !! i tell ya some silly ones out there so i left it a month or so saw another doctor and she sent letter off to see if the doctor at the hospital would see me and he did thankfully so now im just waiting,,your doc prob had pmt!! try a bloke next time ;) x x keep your chin up chuck x

Hi there Pink.

A doctor does not have the right to refuse to refer you if you fit the NICE criteria in your area and I would say with a BMI of over 60 you qualify hands down.

It is only the PCT or surgeon who can refuse you the surgery.

I would firstly sleep on it and then in the morning type a letter of formal complaint to the practise manager about how this doctor treated you.

Then also ask to see a different GP.

What PCT do you come under?

Oooo people like her make me angry, I had a doctor like that once and I complained. I actually got an apology too.

I hope you get a better result soon.

Thankyou for your reply. I don't mind the fact that she was perhaps trying to put me off by explaining that it was drastic and not an easy fix etc, which I told her I knew this. I even had numerous printouts with me so she could see that I was not just there on a whim kind of thing.

I even told her that if referred then I would most likely opt for the BIB or the sleeve.

About a year ago she did refer me for STARS (exercise on prescription). She asked me how I was getting on. I could have lied and said that I was going etc. But no, I told her that due to having a 2 year old I just simply did not have the time (or a babysitter) to go but my mom has recently given me an exercise bike which I have started using daily. Surely this shows that I am making changes to my lifestyle??!

At the end of the day if they referred everyone who mentioned it then where would we be but I cant believe that she said no because I had not lost any weight. PLUS the way she was talking to me. She honestly treated me like a 6 year old and and very, very thick one at that.

I have been on internet tonight looking for another surgery near by because she honestly did upset me that much. I think i will take your advice and sleep on it and also take everyone else's advice (THANKS ALL!!) and see another doctor at the surgery.

xx

Back