• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gastric bypass/Sleeve?

purplefluffything

Morning ladies n gents , I'm very near to having my wls now & questions are pulling my tiny brains to bits ;)
Due to my morphine pump implant being on the left my surgeon has already warned
Me I may wake up with a sleeve because he may not be able to get his instrument he uses for the by pass in where it should go!
Iv since been researching the sleeve & I now think I may prefer this type of surgery as it seems much
more less invasive to your life post surgery .
Due to my pump & very high amounts of opiates I
receive through my spine & orally iv gone through premature menopause in my 30's leaving me with early osteoporosis & everything else that us ladies have in a menopause ..
I have to take calcium every day sometimes zinc also aspirin to counteract the pill they gave me for going into early menopause ..
I don't really want to have to take lots more
tablets. Along with my pump I take many other pain meds & one for high cholesterol I'm hoping with losing
weight I can cut one or two out..
Also a sleeve seems easier to cope with in the long term not heard about any problems post op?
Also with the bypass I feel I see or read more problems post surgery (sorry if I'm wrong here) compared to a sleeve & I suppose this is because a bypass is more complecated than a sleeve. I'm in hospital quite a lot with my morphine pump & this stress my family out already I would not want to stress them out even more. Specialy my hubbie who is not in the best of health & my parents ..
I would like to hear your views good & bad.
Iv looked at some of this in the archive, just thought I would ask a fresh thread :)
Hugs xx

Last edited:
Hi there,

As you have many pre-existing medical conditions, I would be guided by the medical team looking after you.

That way you can stop your brain from imploding :)

I would go with what they can offer you, you will lose weight either way with a sleeve or a bypass.

My OH had mr Sufi, and was told he may have to have a sleeve due to scars inside, he did end up with a sleeve but has had severe problems due to not being able to keep anything down, and been readmitted a few times. Mr Sufi has been absolutely amazing coming in to see him on his annual leave and being so very supportive. This thing what happened is very rare, but obviously it can happen as we are living it but you have a fantastic supportive team there and I can not thank them enough. You will be absolutely fine my lovely xx

Thank you cazbandy for your support. I was offered the bypass at first but when I went to my last appt I think when my tummy was examined, which was due to my most recent surgery they didn't realise how bulky the pump was which is why I've been told to expect the sleeve too..
Hi cheekyB, Mr Sufi is my consultant too
:) sorry to hear about ur husband I know how you must feel because I too have been in & of hospital lots of times due to rare complications with my pain
pump, as you say your husbands case is rare, this with my pump too is the same case for me!
Thank you both for helping me..

Hi Diana, iv been told that i could end up the sleeve too but he wont know till im in theatre.
I hope you go on alright as im sure you will, you are in the best hands and they will do which ever they think best.
Good Luck and try not to worry xxx

hi diana
i had my sleeve on the 28th oct and was back home on the 29th oct i had no pain after my opp and non since i think i have been very lucky in that respect all i can say is go with ur surgeon he should do what he thinks is best for you i dont have any regrets having my sleeve, i never feel any hunger now its a great feeling and i no wen my sleeve says stop, although i eat very small portions and just love it long may it last

There are fab results with the gastric sleeve - this wasn't offered as a stand alone procedure when I had my surgery in Aug 2008 or I definitely have considered it. Good luck for the future

Well obviously I don't know your medical history, but I would do as Cazbandy suggests...and that is just be guided by you team & leave it up to them. The sleeve is essentially 'half a bypass', in that the stomach size is reduced (although vertically and not made into a pouch as in a bypass). As the intestines are left intake, it would make sense that one would potentially suffer fewer complications than with a full bypass. Sleeve gastrectomies used to be performed in the super morbidly obese who needed to lose some weight before the full bypass was done at a later date. However, (except for in the super super morbidly obese), sleeves are in their own right are appearing to be a very good surgery choice for weight loss, and as such they are being performed more commonly. Plus, we have some sleevers on here who I am sure you will agree, have done absolutely great with that particular type of WLS!

Thank you angie what you just said was very interesting and very informative.
I do agree our sleevers have done so so well.
My dr said if he cld not manage the by pass and as to do the sleeve I just have to be good so not to stretch it..!
I will look after whatever I get so very well ..
The more I research and hear about the sleeve the more I'm liking the sound of it.
The nurse said I cld say on the day of my op which I wld prefer. So I still have quite a bit of time to make a decision..
Thanks for all support..
Hugs xx

Can't add anymore than the wise words already said hun except to say i agree that you need to go with the advice your medical team. Worth making a decision in your own mind though in case they can give you a choice. All our sleevers on here have been very successful and i can understand your worries as there have been a few complications recently with some bypasses. Whatever one you get Diana i'm sure it will be very successful for you. Big hugs and good luck x

Alli thank you xx. My reason for this as well is due to my other medical conditions & I do not want to add to them. My family get stressed for me and my husband as long term medical health problems ones he will have for life.
So to me the sleeve just looks a lot less invasive and from research especially on here most have done brilliantly.
I'm thinking more towards a sleeve now I feel..thank you loads xx

Hi Diana, I wish you the best of luck. I had my sleeve done at the Spire earlier this year and have never regretted my choice. The weight loss IS slower than with a bypass, but some would say this is a good thing as it gives your skin chance to catch up.
hugs
Sandra x

Back