• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Query for Band or Bypass surgery?

purplefluffything

Can anyone tell me how safe it is if you are sick or retching due to annesthetic or say picked a bug up? after either surgery?
I ask this question because even though I get anti-sick meds before surgery I still sometimes get sick.
I also get sick due to the Morphine in my Pain pump this is due to horrible withdrawral from complecations of pump; this is rare but can happen:(
When Im sick it seems to last forever and of course I would not want to damage the surgery I had just had done.

I am asking this query for also when you are well past post op stage if you were to be ill and sick, can the surgery cope with it?

Thank you for reading this not so nice post;).

Hugs xx

Hi Diana, I think Shelbel may be of some help here as I seem to recall she is allergic or has a problen with morphine. She is also months post-bypass so will know a lot more than I!

Hi Diane

I had my band fitted on Saturday morning and felt very, very sick when I came round. Was nothing to do with the pain relief was lack of oxygen. The nurse gave me to anti sickness jabs in fairly quick sucession and I stayed on the oxygen for a good few hours - the feeling finally subsided.

The nurse told me to buzz if I felt even slightly sick and I could have another jab as they did not want me to be retching.

Hope this helps - good luck.

Maz x

Hi Maz and Brunetteandred,

Brunnet, hopefully Shelbel we see this if not I will put a post out just for her help:)

Maz, thank you for replying and telling me your experience. I will try to explain my medications and why I sometimes get sick which is why I am worried.

Thing is due to my medications which are all mainly for pain.
The Morphine I have which I need is in my pump and this drips constantly into the Intrathecal space.

I also take oral medications, I take Oxycontin and oxynorm, pregabalin, celebrex; plus quite a few more meds but these ones are mainly for pain.

I have had withdrawral a couple of times, One was due to a procedure that were done to the pump when examining the pumps port this put me through withdrawral.
Then I was overdosed due to my pump being over pressurised this then gave me a massive overdose putting me in intensive care, when I came round I was as sick as a dog:jelous:. I just seem to be very fragile to alot of meds.
I already take what they call 'gold standard' in anti-emtetrics which is Ondansetron I have them in melts where they melt on your tongue so you get it started quicker I also have cyclizine regulary.
When Im in hospital I do have anti-emetrics drugs by injections but my body still trys to keep retching, I was in hospital 3 weeks and it took a week and half untill I stopped being sick:( then it took the other week and half to get off the drip and sip water.
Basicly Im a nightmare.

The good thing is that these have been rare episodes and like I mention above I take anti-emetricss reg.

I have just had a couple of unlucky procedures that made me very ill which I think has scared the pants off me! I would not want to go through It again!
I would not wish it on my worst enemy.
Other than that my pain managment is kept uncontrol.
Hugs xx

Hi Diana,

Your health probs and meds are way behind my area of knowledge. It sounds like something you need to talk through in depth with the surgeon/anaesthatist.

I would say though that you can take some reassurance that your problems are known about, and therefore should be more efficiently dealt with. It's more the unknown suprise problems that cause the complications.

I retched after the op due to initial pouch wind, it was very scary but didn't do any damage.

Just make sure that you are happy that the professionals on your case have listened to you and considered your meds etc.

hello........................everyone
Bypass surgery is a surgical procedure performed to relieve angina and the risk of coronary heart disease. The arteries or veins from elsewhere in the body are grafted to the coronary arteries to bypass blockages.......thanks

Hi - the poster of the thread was referring to gastric bypass or gastric band.

Back