• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gastric bypass whats it like - advice plesae

emmakc

Hi, I'm hoping to have a gastric bypass. I'm having it done privately at St Anthony's Hospital. I'm going to their support group on Saturday so I'll find out more then but in the meantime, would someone mind giving me details of EVERYTHING!

What diet did you go on pre-op, what was the op like (was it painful afterwards), what do you eat afterwards and how long until life gets back to normal. How long do you have to take off work? Sorry so many questions!

Thanks in advance, I really appreciate it!

Em x

I had a bypass at the end of Feb this year.

Found the pre op diet ok actually. Was on 1000 calories a day, low fat foods.

Was extremely nervous on op day. After my op, I didn't experience pain as you'd expect from a stapled stomach and stitched wounds. The only pain I had was wind pain, which everyone will tell you is not very nice.... but bearable.

Drinking liquids for the first few days was difficult, I think the trapped wind and the groggy feeling contributed to it. Was up and walking round literally hours after the op though.

For the next two weeks, I continued to struggle getting liquids in. Stomach just felt uncomfortable whenever I consumed anything but it gradually got better. Liquid stage is boring but I didn't feel any hunger so found it considerably easy compared to the pre op diet.

After the first month, I moved on to mushy food. Found this stage quite painful as any mushy food I ate caused considerable discomfort and pain so I continued the liquid diet for another couple of weeks and eventually started introducing mushy food as I healed more.

Around 4 monts later.... everything is going good. Still get some discomfort and pain if I eat too fast and I find I get trapped wind a lot too but passes quickly. Lost over 8 stone since beginning my WLS journey. I'd say it has taken around 3 months to completely return to myself,

Based on my own experience, I'd say that this is the best thing I've done with my life. My confidence and self esteem is literally off the scale now. There's nothing else in life I could ask for because I feel truly happy now. :)

It's important to follow everything the hospital tells you to. It's not a diet, it's a lifetime commitment so you need to be prepared to change your entire lifestyle to make the bypass work for you. It's a tool to help you, not an easy fix. :D

Last edited:
Thanks so much for your post its really helped. Do you think you could return to work after two weeks?

I'm going to see the consultant on Monday - I only phoned this morning and I think I'm still in shock im going so quickly so at least I'll be able to get answers to my quetsions!

Four months on, what is your diet like now - is life relatively easy? For example can you eat in public if you had a function and do you get sick very often now (or before).

Thanks adn well done on your weightloss - that's amazing!

emmakc said:
Thanks so much for your post its really helped. Do you think you could return to work after two weeks?

I'm going to see the consultant on Monday - I only phoned this morning and I think I'm still in shock im going so quickly so at least I'll be able to get answers to my quetsions!

Four months on, what is your diet like now - is life relatively easy? For example can you eat in public if you had a function and do you get sick very often now (or before).

Thanks adn well done on your weightloss - that's amazing!

Personally, I could of returned to work after two weeks but you need to take it real easy. I returned after a month though. At two weeks, I felt perfectly fine but as you are still healing, need to make sure you don't do anything strenuous.

My diet is pretty much normal now. All heathy foods, crunchy greens etc. Not going to lie, I've had cravings for all of those bad foods but watching my weight go down considerably fast has given me the motivation to stay away from the evil foods. A few bits of lettuce and tomato fills me up so quick.

I very rarely get sick but I've seen posts from people on here who are sick often. Not chewing properly gives me discomfort and makes me almost sick but it passes before I am actually sick lol. You'll develop a habit of chewing well and eating small mouthfuls - you'll get pain and discomfort if you don't.

Every single person reacts differently to a bypass so all the stories you might of read about people being sick everyday and dumping may not happen to you. I've never dumped, I guess I've been rather lucky so far.

Good luck with your consultation!

I've not had it but my auntie did and she has never looked back she was nearly 30 stone and is 12 now, and even though everyone was more concerned about her physical health her mental health is better than it had been for years so confident and happy!! wish you all the luck in the world!! xxx

I am just over two weeks out, when I had the op I expected some pain but I had none, not any wind pain or anything. I had morphine pump but that made me sick so I stopped using that and went onto iv paracetamol on the day of the op. My plan is two weeks liquid which I have done, I have found it very easy to drink liquids and can drink half a pint with no issues. I am now on puree which is nice and have had no issues with that.
I am not returning to work until I need to which I plan on being after my holiday in August!
I feel well but get tired and like to put my feet up in the afternoon.
I know other people have had much harder experiences I have been lucky

I had my gastric bypass on the 31st may this year so I consider myself still in the recovery phase.

I had a different pre op diet which involved 4 pints milk, 2 litres of water and 1 salty drink a day (I had chicken bovril). I was also allowed sugar free jelly. Each hospital seems to have a slightly different pre op diet and a different period they want you on the diet for. Mine was 2 weeks. I'm not going to lie the first few days were very hard but once you get through that it gets easier. Most people go into ketosis after a few days and then you will find your appetite decreases and have more energy.

The operation itself usually takes around 2 hours, mine took a bit longer because of scar tissue, which meant when I woke up I was in a fair amount of pain but this was eased with morphine. Most people on my ward that had the same operation said they were uncomfortable/in moderate pain the first night but helped with morphine and the next day they were feeling much better. No one was in agony but there is some pain for most people. I’ve never had a baby but I can see that it’s a bit like child birth (not as painful!) but in the fact as time goes on and you lose weight you will forget all about it. I caught up with everyone else around late afternoon the next day. I didn't suffer too much with wind pain but some people find it really unpleasant but it is helped by the fact that the nurses get you up as soon as possible so you can walk it off. Some hospitals will give you peppermint water or peppermint tea to help too. I found drinking peppermint tea for a week at home keeps things moving.
You are on clear fluid for the first night, you will probably see your surgeon the next morning and if they are happy you can go onto free fluid like tea or juice. Then if that goes down ok by the time you've left hospital you will have had something like clear soup or jelly. Depending on your hospital you may have had some purée too. If everything goes well as planned you will be home after 3 days.

When you are home what you eat will again depend on your hospital/surgeon. A lot of hospitals have you on liquids for 2 weeks, then on to puree, then mashed and finally normal food. My provider moves us straight on to puree for a month and then mashed food, then crunchy/smooth - which involves stuff like a melba toast covered in reduced fat pate. At 8 weeks we are allowed to eat normal food apart from salad, which is from 10 weeks.

I found the first two weeks difficult to adjust, you are sore inside and drinking can be hard but it is very important so above everything else you will be told to keep sipping away. You are not allowed to drink for 30 minutes before eating or 30 minutes after eating. This is for life. This allows room in your pouch (your new tummy that is the size of an egg) to be able to eat and then prevent the food inside it from being flush through too fast. Nutrients are really important post op. You will have to follow a high nutrient, high protein diet for the rest of your life. You will also have to take a multi vitamin/mineral every day for the rest of your life and most likely a calcium tablet. Some people have to take iron as well. You will also have to get your bloods test yearly to check you are not deficient in anything. With a bypass you need to avoid food high in fat and sugar because they bypass part of your intestine which means those foods will hit lower in you digestive system faster than they would have before. If you have them you could suffer from something called dumping syndrome, which I’ve not had and planning on trying never to experience. Symptoms include sweating, diarrhoea, feelings of impending doom and this can last up to about an hour. Apparently it is very unpleasant so it’s a good encouragement to stick too 5 grams or less of sugar or fat in every 100 grams of food or drink you have.

I found eating was easier after the op than drinking. Everyone is different. Your portion size will be around the size of a ramekin or half a mug of soup. Lots of people buy little pots and freeze some soup etc. before the op so they don’t have to worry about making things in the beginning as you are tired. You will be advised to keep moving at home but it’s important to rest in between too. Some people feel fine after 1 week, some people 2. Most people go back to work after 2 weeks. You might just find it a bit tiring. If you have a physical job like me, you might be able/want to take a bit longer off work. My work told me not to come back for 6 weeks. That is something you can figure out with your job and surgeon. You won't be able to drive for 2 weeks, only gentle exercise like walking at first, you will have to wait till you post op check for more physically exercise like the gym or swimming as it takes a while for your insides to heal even if you look and feel ok on the outside.

Around 6 weeks you will get your post op check but all providers provide you with a number to call or email that you can ask any questions if you are concerned. The fact you are joining a support group is great because support is really essential, this forum will do that for you too. My surgeon said that I will be back to my old self but better! By 3 months post op. For some people that happens before then.

A couple of things I wish I’d known before the surgery is that it takes a while for you to feel the effects of the surgery, you don’t stop feeling hungry straight away and you don’t feel the fullness from eating straight away because you are still numb inside from the swelling. That came around 4 weeks post op for me, along with the starting to not feel hungry unless I forget to eat and leave it too long between meals. The second is that it is pretty emotional for some people. Around 3-4 weeks I started to feel weepy and emotional. I found this was for several reasons, firstly because in a weird way you almost grieve the old food and old you despite how much you might hate it by the end, it is still a big part of you that you have to let go of. Secondly because you are losing weight rapidly you fat stores are breaking down and hormones are flooding your body, meaning you are going to feel a lot of things more intensely and lastly if you are anything like me you would have use food as a crutch for when things go bad. You can’t do that anymore, you can’t physically and you don’t want too or it’s all for nothing. It’s hard learning to deal with things like an adult, feeling them and accepting the world doesn’t end if you ride it out. Something I’m really grateful for now.

So that’s my experience so far, there are lots of people on here that have reached there goal, or are further down into their journey but I thought I share the early stuff as it is all fresh in my mind. Sorry I rambled on so much.
I don’t regret my surgery at all, I have days I feel a bit sick or a bit tired but they are getting fewer and further in between. I have lost 60lbs in 9 weeks! I’m over the moon with that and I would have never done it in this time frame on my own. Surgery isn’t the easy option, they is a lot to it but if you use it right it can be a fantastic option and it can be well worth it.

I hope this was of some use. Good luck with your journey, let us know how you get on :) x

Thank you so much for your posts they've really helped. I'm really excited to get started now although I'm also getting panicky if I'm honest.

Shelly-Marie your post wasn't rambling at all - it was perfect, a real insight into what I can expect. Such a big weight loss too which is fantastic.

Eventually, when you are completely recovered can you ever eat normally but in small portions. For example, can you have some of the kids birthday cake or is anything sugar/fat gone for the rest of your life. I really really want to lose weight but I find this hard to imagine at this point (if I'm honest) and I know that eating that crap is what has got me to this point in the first place but I guess we all want to be able to eat everything in moderation.

As for work, I really hope two weeks will be long enough. I'm a solicitor and I don't think they will be too pleased if I ask for more than two weeks. I guess I'll have to wait and see how I feel afterwards. I have to go on client lunches occasionally do you think people will always know that you've had surgery as you have to eat mega slowly and cant eat most things on the menu? I worry about telling people in the future, I'm obviously going to tell family and close friends now and I'll tell people who need to know at work but I don't want a sign hanging over my head for the rest of my life saying "former fat bird"!

Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond to my post - I'll let you all know how it goes on Monday when I have my consultation (arrggh)!

No problem. I'm afraid the sweet stuff is for life but there are ways to still enjoy foods you like now but just in modified ways. Like making things with sweeteners instead of sugar but most things can be had in moderation once you are normal foods you just have to be careful. Some people avoid everything that they had to too much of before the op so they aren't tempted to fall back into bad habits, where as others don't limit themselves to what they eat, just how much. Not everyone gets dumping syndrome but some people see that as a bad thing as it is a real deterrent for eating unhealthy food. You can discuss other types of surgeries with your surgeon such as the sleeve or band - you don't dump with them but more in general is lost with the bypass but all surgeries can be successful at getting all your excess weight off. It's something that you would both need to way up what would be best suited for you. This usually involves a talk about the types of foods you eat, how much and when and how much you have to lose.

You should be absolutely fine to go back to work after two weeks, I only haven't because I work with animals. If you don't have any heavy lifting your consultant will be fine with you going back after 2 weeks.

Lots of people don't tell anyone but their closest friends and family and who they have to for work. It's quite normal not to want to share it with everyone, I told pretty much everyone but I can understand reasons not wanting too.

Good luck for monday :) x

No problem. I'm afraid the sweet stuff is for life but there are ways to still enjoy foods you like now but just in modified ways. Like making things with sweeteners instead of sugar but most things can be had in moderation once you are normal foods you just have to be careful. Some people avoid everything that they had to too much of before the op so they aren't tempted to fall back into bad habits, where as others don't limit themselves to what they eat, just how much. Not everyone gets dumping syndrome but some people see that as a bad thing as it is a real deterrent for eating unhealthy food. You can discuss other types of surgeries with your surgeon such as the sleeve or band - you don't dump with them but more in general is lost with the bypass but all surgeries can be successful at getting all your excess weight off. It's something that you would both need to way up what would be best suited for you. This usually involves a talk about the types of foods you eat, how much and when and how much you have to lose.

You should be absolutely fine to go back to work after two weeks, I only haven't because I work with animals. If you don't have any heavy lifting your consultant will be fine with you going back after 2 weeks.

Lots of people don't tell anyone but their closest friends and family and who they have to for work. It's quite normal not to want to share it with everyone, I told pretty much everyone but I can understand reasons not wanting too.

Good luck for monday :) x

sorry for butting in but just out of curiosity yanno ya said ya told pretty much everyone did you feel like everyone was tryin to talk you out of it?? xxx

I didn't tell anyone until I was 100% sure so if anyone did say a few things like isn't it a bit drastic or can't you try one more time - and a few did, it was met with a firm I've made up my mind. After a couple of attempts they realised I was telling them about something that was going to happen, not asking their opinion on it. I decided a year and a half before I got the surgery so by the time I had it, people were jumping for joy I'd got what I wanted. It's quite nice to have a cheering team for my weight loss now too :) x

I told all my family and close work friends as I needed there support and they were great no one made me feel bad Even when I had to have the band removed I got fantastic support when I had my band I went in on the wedensday and back at work 10 days later after the staples had been removed I am now waiting for a bypass and been told that will be between 2-6 weeks depending on how things heal and but I do a lot off heavy lifting might go back on light duties tho if doc allows but my work mates are all fantastic they may tease a bit but I know they are 100% behind me but not everyone can do that as some staff can be *****es sorry but that includes men as well there just as bad
Good luck and go with your gut feeling

Hi. I told my work last week. I had been dreading it but absolutely everyone has been lovely. I'm actually quite choked up with the support I have had. But I had a really bad time with my diabetes last year and was devastated when I had to start injecting. They know this is the best thing for me and are happy that I won't be going through that any more. I'm lucky its a small company with a family feel. When I worked in a large call centre it was really *****y and I don't know how I would have dealt with it xx

I had my bypass almost 8 months ago, I had 2 slim fast and a 400cal meal for 2 weeks as my pre op diet. I lost 11lb. I wasn't nervous until the last few seconds before I had to say goodbye to my husband. I was fine after that. The op went smoothly and I had NO pain afterwards, just stinging from the lap sites. I was up and about within 2 hours and on free fluids straight away. I had no pain relief at all in hospital except a codeine pill that night which I only "took just in case". I really didn't need any after that. I was on fluids for 2 weeks and except for water and nas squash I had no problem. I still struggle with water and squash! I went to purée foods for 2 weeks and mashed for a further 2 weeks. I now have whatever I want to eat including desserts etc, just in very small quantities. I now live like a slim person and I love it. I have lost 9st 7lb and would like to lose another 14lb. However, if I don't lose another ounce I am still happy with how I am now. I wear size 14 clothes, I fit easily into a seat on a budget airline and can get the tray table down with a gap between it and my tummy. I walk long distances quickly and do not get out of breath. I sunbathed in 30C heat and didn't break a sweat! I am now like a regular person! And I love it. I told the anyone who would listen about my surgery before and early on, but now I don't mention it. It no longer has any importance to me. I am just getting on with my life.
Good luck with everything x

I had my op on Feb 26th - at times part's of the recovery has been a bit hard...but nothing has been as hard as coping with being fat, unhappy and unhealthy for so long before my op.

None of the pain post op has been as bad as the pain I felt in my back at my heaviest. None of feeling a bit full and sick is as bad as the time when your really stuffed yourself out for that meal. None of focus to remember to drink enough fluid is as bad as the hangovers when it's easy to drink to excess. None of the trying to choose what to eat is as bad as looking at the bin and thinking '**** have I eaten all that tonight' .... It's the best thing I have done for myself, ever - Nothing is as bad as being overweight in the first place!

Good Luck
xx

emmakc said:
Hi, I'm hoping to have a gastric bypass. I'm having it done privately at St Anthony's Hospital. I'm going to their support group on Saturday so I'll find out more then but in the meantime, would someone mind giving me details of EVERYTHING!

What diet did you go on pre-op, what was the op like (was it painful afterwards), what do you eat afterwards and how long until life gets back to normal. How long do you have to take off work? Sorry so many questions!

Thanks in advance, I really appreciate it!

Em x

Em, thanks you so much for starting this thread. Like you I hope to have a bypass op at the end of next month. Despite trawling through here many time and surfing the net, I still had lots of questions. The replies to your question are very open and honest.

Thanks everyone :)

Thanks for your help everyone, its really good to hear about other peoples experiences. I haven't found any threads where people have really regretted it. I've been to the doctors about 4 times since my last post (3 sick children lol) and I've asked each doctor/nurse about patients who've had bypass and they've all said that its a bit rough afterwards but none of them have regretted it so that's what I want to hear! My biggest fear is buyer's remorse.

Popadopalous said:
I had a bypass at the end of Feb this year.

Found the pre op diet ok actually. Was on 1000 calories a day, low fat foods.

Was extremely nervous on op day. After my op, I didn't experience pain as you'd expect from a stapled stomach and stitched wounds. The only pain I had was wind pain, which everyone will tell you is not very nice.... but bearable.

Drinking liquids for the first few days was difficult, I think the trapped wind and the groggy feeling contributed to it. Was up and walking round literally hours after the op though.

For the next two weeks, I continued to struggle getting liquids in. Stomach just felt uncomfortable whenever I consumed anything but it gradually got better. Liquid stage is boring but I didn't feel any hunger so found it considerably easy compared to the pre op diet.

After the first month, I moved on to mushy food. Found this stage quite painful as any mushy food I ate caused considerable discomfort and pain so I continued the liquid diet for another couple of weeks and eventually started introducing mushy food as I healed more.

Around 4 monts later.... everything is going good. Still get some discomfort and pain if I eat too fast and I find I get trapped wind a lot too but passes quickly. Lost over 8 stone since beginning my WLS journey. I'd say it has taken around 3 months to completely return to myself,

Based on my own experience, I'd say that this is the best thing I've done with my life. My confidence and self esteem is literally off the scale now. There's nothing else in life I could ask for because I feel truly happy now. :)

It's important to follow everything the hospital tells you to. It's not a diet, it's a lifetime commitment so you need to be prepared to change your entire lifestyle to make the bypass work for you. It's a tool to help you, not an easy fix. :D

Fantastic Info,well done your doing amazing X

emmakc said:
Thank you so much for your posts they've really helped. I'm really excited to get started now although I'm also getting panicky if I'm honest.

Shelly-Marie your post wasn't rambling at all - it was perfect, a real insight into what I can expect. Such a big weight loss too which is fantastic.

Eventually, when you are completely recovered can you ever eat normally but in small portions. For example, can you have some of the kids birthday cake or is anything sugar/fat gone for the rest of your life. I really really want to lose weight but I find this hard to imagine at this point (if I'm honest) and I know that eating that crap is what has got me to this point in the first place but I guess we all want to be able to eat everything in moderation.

As for work, I really hope two weeks will be long enough. I'm a solicitor and I don't think they will be too pleased if I ask for more than two weeks. I guess I'll have to wait and see how I feel afterwards. I have to go on client lunches occasionally do you think people will always know that you've had surgery as you have to eat mega slowly and cant eat most things on the menu? I worry about telling people in the future, I'm obviously going to tell family and close friends now and I'll tell people who need to know at work but I don't want a sign hanging over my head for the rest of my life saying "former fat bird"!

Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond to my post - I'll let you all know how it goes on Monday when I have my consultation (arrggh)!

In a nut she all the questions I have wanted to ask so thanks hun, and looking forward to the posts X

Thanks for your posts everyone. I'm booked in for the bypass on 17 August, so I'm on day four of the pre-op diet. I've got three children (two still in nappies) so I'm a bit worried what I'll be like when I get out of hospital and back to the real world! I'm excited and nervous and just want to get it over. My main concern is that I'll regret my decision!

Back