• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

New member Having gastric bypass op in June What to expect?

*Helen*

Hi folks

I'm new to this, so a BIGGGG HELLO to everyone.

I am having a gastric bypass on the 26th June after it previously being cancelled in April because of a chest infection. They tell you what to expect at the hospital, but I would really like to now what to expect afterwards fromn someone whos had the op. Anyone one out there who can give me the low down. Really excited but nervous at the same time.

Helen
:D:D:D:D:D:D

Hi folks

I'm new to this, so a BIGGGG HELLO to everyone.

I am having a gastric bypass on the 26th June after it previously being cancelled in April because of a chest infection. They tell you what to expect at the hospital, but I would really like to now what to expect afterwards fromn someone whos had the op. Anyone one out there who can give me the low down. Really excited but nervous at the same time.

Helen
:D:D:D:D:D:D
HI HELEN , IM NEW HERE TOO HAVE JUST BEEN GOING ROUND READING SO FAR BUT I THOUGHT I'D SAY HI AND TO TELL YOU I TOO AM HAVING GASTRIC BYPASS IN JUNE 6TH,PRE OP DIET STARTED TODAY,IM BLOODY STARVING, MISSING MY GLASS OF WINE TOO:cry:
CAN'T BELEIVE HOW QUICKLY IT'S ALL HAPPENING,ASKED MY DOCTOR ABOUT GASTRIC BAND EASTER WEEK HAVING BYPASS NEXT WEEK.
I DIDNT REALISE HOW LUCKY I AM TO GET IT SO QUICK ON THE NHS UNTIL I'D BEEN READING OTHER PEOPLES THREADS.
GOODLUCK AND TAKE CARE,SHELL

Hi Shell

I was amazed at how quick it all happened too, thought it would take a good year or two of waiting on the NHS. Are you only having to do the diet for a week? I have to do the liver diet for two weeks and then the two days before op nothing but clear fluids. I went just over a week on the liver diet in April only for my op to be cancelled due to a chest infection. I keep thinking now that it should be all done and on the road to recovery, instead I'm sat hear still nervous, excited and all the other emotions you go through. It's a killer though the diet isn't it? I hope your op goes alright, you will have to let me know all the details when it's done.
Good luck for next week
Helen

Don't know anything personally about the op, but just wanted to say welcome to Minimins and looking forward to reading your journey :wavey:

hi shell welcome and good luck for the 6th june,who is your surgeon and where in country are you ? think of the big picture although im sure your really hungry now but in a couple of weeks you will be sorted out with a tool that will solve your weight battles for life.i look forward to hearing all about your journey through recovery and weight loss.take care

CHEERS, YES I HAVE TO DO THE PRE OP DIET FOR 1 WEEK ,ALTHOUGH I WAS GIVEN A DIET SHEET AND DOESN'T SEEM AS BAD AS OTHERS IVE READ ABOUT,(MEAT,VEG,PASTA,RICE,WEETABIX,ETC) JUST SMALL AMOUNTS,:cry:.
I AM IN LEEDS AND HAVING MY SURGERY DONE AT NUFFIELDS PRIVATE HOSPITAL ALTHOUGH NHS ARE PAYING.PROF MCMAHON IS MY SURGEON.
IVE ONLY BEEN READING SO FAR BUT SHALL POST A THREAD ASAP.SHELLXX

Hi All

I had my op last year, everything was really cool, no pain, keyhole surgery, no infections or anything else like that.

However I do have a complaint about the whole thing, after about six months I stopped losing weight and have been at the same weight ever since. Also I have only had one follow up appointment since my op (six week check).

I went private because I had been waiting 2 and half years on the NHS.

I am really sad, after paying the amount of money I did for my op (almost 11,000).

There has been no programs available to me such as what to do after the op, meeting others who also had the same operation as me etc.

But even though I have only lost 5 st, I would recommend the op to everyone who wishes to go ahead with it. I assume because of my under active thyroid I have un-mitigating circumstances that have reduced my possible chances of a good weight loss.

Good luck to all

TopTotty

:welcome: to Minis all. Do have a nosey around the threads, there are some long-time post-opper here, or 'losers' as they are affectionately referred to who are always happy to help and often the answers you seek are here somewhere!

Toptotty, Were you banded or bypassed? Have a look at the Pouch Rules for Dummies thread here

Also, if you were bypassed, in the stickies there is a thread for Post op aftercare here

Last edited:
I'm going to to say Hi and welcome but the dates are confusing me as we havent had april or easter. Does any one know if these are old posts or just wrong dates. Sorry but I have to get the picture right and I can't. Is it just me because I'm tired and reading into it wrong???

if you look at the dates in the blue banner on top of these threads they are from last May :)

Back