• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Getting Protein In...

Mrs Quiggle

Am I the only one who only eats stuff including snacks that are protein rich. I know I could have a yogurt or something else as a snack but I always feel like it should be high protein so go for a handful of nuts or pate or cheese on crackerbreads or baked beans cheese etc. just to get the protein in. Should I relax a bit and eat other stuff thats not so protein rich or should I be having high protein all the time.

Kate x

As I understand it we should be having min 80g protein per day! So Mrs Q you are doing exactly the right thing. I don't eat meat or fish and I'm finding it difficult to get my head around being able to eat so much dairy and nuts to get the protein in.

I try to cram in the protein too Kate - I always have either an egg or peanut butter for breakfast, always have something with cheese and as much meat or fish as I can, plus nuts. I do have a teeny bit of carb and veggies too though - for example, tonight I had a mini lamb dinner, which was mainly roasted lamb, but had a tablespoon of frozen mash and 3 sprouts with it! Also of course smothered in gravy nom nom!

I think you are doing the right thing, Mrs Quiggle, as I have read about how important it is to focus on "protein first" and getting adequate amounts.

the malabsorption aspect of the bypass means that if you choose a typical low calorie diet, often low fat, they are often very high in carb content ..... after the 50% to 70% malabsorption has been taken into account, what is left is not a very nutritious intake for the post bypass patient.

I was warned (if I do go for the RNY) that if you take your foot off the pedal / eye off the ball ..... and start descending into more and more carbohydrate snacks and higher carb meal contents, it is the FASTEST route to malnutrition.

so correct me if im wrong.. at a later stage... iw when your on normal foods... its better to have a bit of chicken than have sandwich

Yep Rayne, you should try to have as much protein as you can fit in - carbs like bread and pasta etc go right to the back of the queue, so fill up on protein first, then secondly the veggies, then lastly carbs. I have had no choice but to buy a sandwich from a garage a couple of times, so what I have done is buy something with meat/cheese in it and try to eat the filling first, although most convenience stores now sell little snack packs of cheese or Babybels, or similar things, which are much better and higher protein than a sandwich.

That's ok then lol. I love peanut butter. Can't wait to be able to eat crunchy stuff so I can have philly cheese and peanut butter with carrot and celery sticks to dip in it. I've got a fab cheesecake recipe, more or less sugar and fat free but full of protein and calcium which Mum has made for the Boxing day buffet. Can't wait to try it.

Kate x

ooh make sure you share the recipe Kate x

I second that! Let's have the recipe!! :)

Back